So can we have an actual discussion about Shogun?

You compare people to their generation of skill. He beat studs for six years. Royce gets smoked by everyone today. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t meaningful to his time period.

What?
Of course you can
this is sports, we care about who is the best, period.
This isn't a participation trophy give away.

Royce Gracie would get curbed stomped by every MMA fighter today.
And for that we rightfully don't place him in the top 100 MMA fighters of all time. We can both do that and acknowledge his contributions to history

Shogun will be viewed similarly once the fanboys take a step back.

He's an amazing fighter who's been around forever

The ACL's ruined him though

When he played ball as a kid he was picked last and forced to play center

Built like Spongebob when he was trying to be long tan and handsome but the wig fell off

Built like Spongebob when he was trying to be long tan and handsome but the wig fell off

latest

wVcBOshT_400x400.jpg

I think, unfortunately we never got to see what his true max potential could have been because he was injured repeatedly during what should’ve been his prime years. Still, he reached the two pinnacles of the sport by winning the pride Grand Prix and becoming ufc champion.

I also think the chute boxe guys were seriously disadvantaged by not being able to use soccer kicks and stomps in the ufc. That was a major part of their style, it’s like telling Jon Jones he can’t use elbows.

What?
Of course you can
this is sports, we care about who is the best, period.
This isn't a participation trophy give away.

Royce Gracie would get curbed stomped by every MMA fighter today.
And for that we rightfully don't place him in the top 100 MMA fighters of all time. We can both do that and acknowledge his contributions to history

Shogun will be viewed similarly once the fanboys take a step back.
What the hell are you talking about when bringing up participation trophies?

And the lense you are viewing this is in is by far the minority. That is why Ali is considered the greatest boxer. He wouldn’t been able to accomplish what he did today. Babe Ruth as well, but still one the greatest five players of all time. Gretzky puts up around a 100 points a season today, Bobby Orr probably has a negative plus minus.

Games change and evolve. Rules change. That’s why most people compare athletes in their generation. You can’t compare pitchers across time if their mound height was different. You can’t compare goal totals if padding size was different. And not to mention evolutions of techniques based on the foundations previously built.

Oh yeah, lets have "an actual discussion" about shoguns legacy, minutes after everyones emotions are running high after he just got KTFO'd by a much younger, in his prime, fighter. Good idea.

<YeahOKJen>
This.

Bunch of emotional girls with memory spans of gold fish on here. Shogun is an absolute legend and that was cemented long ago. He is long past his prime and lost to a bigger younger and hungrier lion, no shame in that.

This is how I feel about sherturds who disrespect a legend like Rua.
spit-1.gif

Before Jones he was 15-3 in PRIDE and the UFC. Sounds like a pretty good run.

Guys in threads leading up to this fight were jumping down my throat as though it was the hottest of takes to suggest Smith was likely to win.

2018 Shogun is not the same guy they love from Pride, and isn't even the guy who beat Machida 2x. Stop seeing the past and look at the present.

Or will the mods delete an honest thread

How good was Shogun really?

When he examine his legacy, I think it's clear that he's not one of the true GOATs of this sport
He had a year of dominance, and then a mixture of injuries and bad luck robbed him of his prime

And there's nothing wrong with that
He had another flash when he beat Machida

but I think tonight we see what his limit is,
his limit is a guy like Anthony Smith, a good not great LHW
that's probably what Shogun's career will be defined as

Any version of him would have lost tonight

He's 36 with a ton of miles , idiot.

Why don't you post your fat 56 year old mothers nudes so we can judge where her body ranks all time?

He was good compared to guys like Chuck or Tito, but nowhere near guys like Gus, JJ, or DC

Lol at trying to throw Gus in there. He’s done jack shit compared to Shogun

He was good compared to guys like Chuck or Tito, but nowhere near guys like Gus, JJ, or DC

He was competitive against Gus; struggled with the range but probably took a round – and that was after he had already racked up a bunch of injuries.

Are you asking if I just compared one big, strong grappler to another? Why yes, I did. Did you even follow Pride? Embarrassing response.
lmao
and Anderson Silva is comparable to Anthony Smith because they're both lanky and throw elbows

learn the sport buddy

I am a huge shogun fan..always have been since back in the day.. The pride gp seems a long ass time ago and it is..
That was horrible to watch.
Please hang them up now shogun.

I would respect him way more if he retires..

He had one of the best mma epics with Hendo and has left a great legacy..
But enough..

As for Smith.. He just walked through him.
The lad is a killer at 205. And may just generate some life back into the division..

War shogun...
And respect to Smith...

Back