So, Big John McCarthy Stated That...

OP, you know what? get BJM stop spearing fighters ending a fight.

The reason for "no knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent" is to protect the fighter from extra shots when he is KO.

I thought, "ok, that is a reasonable rule," and then I saw a gif of Dan Henderson (one of the DIRTIEST fighters I have ever seen) getting extra shots on Hector Lombard, and he can't forget Michael Bisping and Fedor.

All these cases the opponents were out, and Dan Henderson squeezed in some DEVASTATING blows to the head of a downed opponent.

So, for the rule of the "downed opponent" to make sense, they need to say "No blows whatsoever" to the head of a downed opponent.

Brain damage is brain damage. The opponent's eyes are rolled back and Dan Henderson is squeezing in extra shots with his elbows and fists, you can tell me that, "because he is using his arms it is less dangerous than using his legs, and that's why we have the rule."

It is STUPID. haha. Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain. If the rule was really to protect the fighters, then fighters should NOT be hit on the head with ANY type of strike when they are considered "down."

Thoughts.

PS

To some of you who are going to make it a Dan Henderson "is only following the rules" argument (1) This is not an argument about Dan Henderson, I am just using him as an example because he is the best case of showing why the downed opponent rule is stupid as it stands (2) If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.

Much butthurt I sense in this one..

Dan Henderson is a dirty fighter?? Because he Ko'd Bisping and Fedor legally?
He is revered for that. That KO of Bisping is HOF worthy. And the follow up
flying punch was even better.

<15><15>

<Fedor23> Fedor could care less..

its a good thing that they are banned because it makes the sport less brutal and saves fighters from unnecessary brain damage.
kicks from stand to a downed opponent can create way more damage than a punch its physics you cant compare it to standup fighting where both kicks and punches are allowed.
you missed that kicks are used from very different positions. for punches you have to get down and make yourself vulnerable. kicks are thrown from a standing position. there is almost no way for a fighter to effectively defend himself.

I knew this argument would be made, but no disrespect, it is a ridiculous one.

That is like making a rule saying "You can use marijuana only if it is edibles, because smoking it is worse."

If the issue is fighter safety, the it doesn't matter where the blow is coming from. If a punch KO's a fighter when he is standing and is expected to defend himself, don't you think one that lands when he is down would be even more devastating.

Are you going to tell me the knee that landed on Mousasi was worse than the elbow than dropped on Bisping when his arms where stiff in the air. ahahaha

Damage is damage. It doesn't matter where it comes from.
Soccer punting someones head while prone on all 4 and already rocked is recipe for someone dying. I love soccer kicks but there dangerous

The reason for "no knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent" is to protect the fighter from extra shots when he is KO.

I thought, "ok, that is a reasonable rule," and then I saw a gif of Dan Henderson (one of the DIRTIEST fighters I have ever seen) getting extra shots on Hector Lombard, and he can't forget Michael Bisping and Fedor.

All these cases the opponents were out, and Dan Henderson squeezed in some DEVASTATING blows to the head of a downed opponent.

So, for the rule of the "downed opponent" to make sense, they need to say "No blows whatsoever" to the head of a downed opponent.

Brain damage is brain damage. The opponent's eyes are rolled back and Dan Henderson is squeezing in extra shots with his elbows and fists, you can tell me that, "because he is using his arms it is less dangerous than using his legs, and that's why we have the rule."

It is STUPID. haha. Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain. If the rule was really to protect the fighters, then fighters should NOT be hit on the head with ANY type of strike when they are considered "down."

Thoughts.

PS

To some of you who are going to make it a Dan Henderson "is only following the rules" argument (1) This is not an argument about Dan Henderson, I am just using him as an example because he is the best case of showing why the downed opponent rule is stupid as it stands (2) If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.
I can't stand Michael Bisping but I gotta admit, that extra flying right to the square of the face of the unconscious Bisping was not only uncalled for but I would've slapped a heavy financial penalty to Dan Henderson. That was ridiculous and again, my disdain for Bisping is quite up there so for me to say that, you know that was just flat out dirty. He breaks his jaw on that and I would expect charges to be filed against Hendo

It's henderson's punches to the back of the head/neck that are bad.....regardless of whether they are out or not.

Just because you stun someone doesn't give you the right to lay punches to the back of the head.

you guys are all idiots ...

its clear that Dana wants this rule in place ... Thats why he paid off the biggest scammer in UFC history Eddie Alvarez !! as if the dive in the conor fight wasnt enough

thinly veiled hendo hatemeeting

hendo is the fucking man, all you pussies can get rekt

wla2r.jpg.gif

tumblr_mdhw6931Gi1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

66.gif

VioletSlowBluebottle.gif

tumblr_mysigcdtI71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Dan%2BHenderson%2BDestroys%2BTim%2BBoetsch%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B68.gif

il04CG.gif

10pxft5.jpg

hendersonvrenzo.gif

<JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt>

This is why I miss Pride FC. The beatdowns were legendary.

I knew this argument would be made, but no disrespect, it is a ridiculous one.

That is like making a rule saying "You can use marijuana only if it is edibles, because smoking it is worse."

If the issue is fighter safety, the it doesn't matter where the blow is coming from. If a punch KO's a fighter when he is standing and is expected to defend himself, don't you think one that lands when he is down would be even more devastating.

Are you going to tell me the knee that landed on Mousasi was worse than the elbow than dropped on Bisping when his arms where stiff in the air. ahahaha

Damage is damage. It doesn't matter where it comes from.
Well as far as effects to your lungs smoking it is worse. Edibles creates a whole different high though. Very bad analogy.

Henderson didn't violate any rules therefore he is not a dirty fighter.

thinly veiled hendo hatemeeting

hendo is the fucking man, all you pussies can get rekt

wla2r.jpg.gif

tumblr_mdhw6931Gi1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

66.gif

VioletSlowBluebottle.gif

tumblr_mysigcdtI71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Dan%2BHenderson%2BDestroys%2BTim%2BBoetsch%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B68.gif

il04CG.gif

10pxft5.jpg

hendersonvrenzo.gif

<JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt><JonesDXSuckIt>

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

The sport has become so pussified. everything should be legal, headbutts, kicks to the head on the ground, everything except groin shots and eye pokes

let me remind you this is "ultimate fighting". Let me remind you how the sport was made and what the real rules are!. not this new age garbage pussified crap.

This "downed" opponent bullshit needs to go away. Any strikes that do not target the back of the head or the groin should be allowed. Let's just make this as simple as fucking possible. Fans are tired of this grey area nonsense.

I'd be cool if they brought back knees and kicks to grounded opponents. One thing I do notice about them though is when they were used a lot of the times it seems the shots would catch the back of the head. Only issue I see.

The whole point of MMA fighting is finish or damage. Damage is even a judging criteria.

Nah, Dropping bombs on an unconscious opponent is a dick move. This is a martial arts competition not a fight to the death.

Dan Henderson (one of the DIRTIEST fighters I have ever seen) getting extra shots on Hector Lombard, and he can't forget Michael Bisping and Fedor.

Dan Henderson squeezed in some DEVASTATING blows to the head of a downed opponent.

The opponent's eyes are rolled back and Dan Henderson is squeezing in extra shots with his elbows and fists

Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson

If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.

I think TS is still upset about Dan Henderson KO'ing his favourite fighter

dan-henderson-teeth.jpg

I agree with everyone saying the sport is watered down and pussified. It's a damn fight. You're going to have a concussion if your defense is shit.
If you're concerned about concussions you shouldn't be a fighter.
Also hendo is the man. Refs should be quicker lol.

Your post is a bit deceptive. It makes it seem as if Big John was saying all that stuff about Dan. What part is his words and what part is yours?

I think it's just your reading comprehension TBH.

Back