So, Big John McCarthy Stated That...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason for "no knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent" is to protect the fighter from extra shots when he is KO.

I thought, "ok, that is a reasonable rule," and then I saw a gif of Dan Henderson (one of the DIRTIEST fighters I have ever seen) getting extra shots on Hector Lombard, and he can't forget Michael Bisping and Fedor.

All these cases the opponents were out, and Dan Henderson squeezed in some DEVASTATING blows to the head of a downed opponent.

So, for the rule of the "downed opponent" to make sense, they need to say "No blows whatsoever" to the head of a downed opponent.

Brain damage is brain damage. The opponent's eyes are rolled back and Dan Henderson is squeezing in extra shots with his elbows and fists, you can tell me that, "because he is using his arms it is less dangerous than using his legs, and that's why we have the rule."

It is STUPID. haha. Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain. If the rule was really to protect the fighters, then fighters should NOT be hit on the head with ANY type of strike when they are considered "down."

Thoughts.

PS

To some of you who are going to make it a Dan Henderson "is only following the rules" argument (1) This is not an argument about Dan Henderson, I am just using him as an example because he is the best case of showing why the downed opponent rule is stupid as it stands (2) If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.

Dan Henderson is a complete asshole, dude was out here for years trying to give people brain damage

I'm not sure why I read your whole post

Paul Harris wants back in with Mazagatti as the ref

Dan Henderson is a complete asshole, dude was out here for years trying to give people brain damage

He even went so far as to wear gloves, just so he could hurt people without breaking his hands. ASSHOLE

The reason for "no knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent" is to protect the fighter from extra shots when he is KO.

I thought, "ok, that is a reasonable rule," and then I saw a gif of Dan Henderson (one of the DIRTIEST fighters I have ever seen) getting extra shots on Hector Lombard, and he can't forget Michael Bisping and Fedor.

All these cases the opponents were out, and Dan Henderson squeezed in some DEVASTATING blows to the head of a downed opponent.

So, for the rule of the "downed opponent" to make sense, they need to say "No blows whatsoever" to the head of a downed opponent.

Brain damage is brain damage. The opponent's eyes are rolled back and Dan Henderson is squeezing in extra shots with his elbows and fists, you can tell me that, "because he is using his arms it is less dangerous than using his legs, and that's why we have the rule."

It is STUPID. haha. Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain. If the rule was really to protect the fighters, then fighters should NOT be hit on the head with ANY type of strike when they are considered "down."

Thoughts.

PS

To some of you who are going to make it a Dan Henderson "is only following the rules" argument (1) This is not an argument about Dan Henderson, I am just using him as an example because he is the best case of showing why the downed opponent rule is stupid as it stands (2) If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.

Pussies like you are ruining MMA.

Your post is a bit deceptive. It makes it seem as if Big John was saying all that stuff about Dan.

What part is his words and what part is yours?

Knees and kicks are worse than punches.
I knew this argument would be made, but no disrespect, it is a ridiculous one.

That is like making a rule saying "You can use marijuana only if it is edibles, because smoking it is worse."

If the issue is fighter safety, the it doesn't matter where the blow is coming from. If a punch KO's a fighter when he is standing and is expected to defend himself, don't you think one that lands when he is down would be even more devastating.

Are you going to tell me the knee that landed on Mousasi was worse than the elbow than dropped on Bisping when his arms where stiff in the air. ahahaha

Damage is damage. It doesn't matter where it comes from.

Pussies like you are ruining MMA.
You are wrong.

I was stated on MULTIPLE occasions that I DO NOT support the "downed opponent rule." The first rule of fighting is "protect yourself at all times."

If you are down you should protect yourself from any type of blow coming towards you, if you can't, then the fight should be called.

For me the down opponent rule is STUPID. Knees and kicks to the front or side of the head should be allowed. A down fighter should be using his hands to defend himself, not to touch the mat so he doesn't get hit.

I am just challenging John McCarthy's reason for the down opponent rule, and showing why that reason is kind of stupid.

A hit to the head while conscious is very different from a hit when you are not.

This is why MMA is more dangerous than boxing.

I'm sure some winy MMA fan is going to read that and have a tantrum, crying that his feelings are just as valid as facts and science, because of feels.

A ref shouldn't be standing 10 feet away after a guy is rocked, KO'd, or almost submitted.
I blame the refs more than the fighters.

Your post is a bit deceptive. It makes it seem as if Big John was saying all that stuff about Dan.

What part is his words and what part is yours?
John McCarthy made that statement after the Mousasi vs Weidman controversy. The first sentence was me paraphrasing John McCarthy, that is why I ended it with a full stop, and started a new parargraph.

never heard about the extra shots thing, though it does make total sense. I thought part of the no knees & kicks to a downed opponent was because of a couple things:

1 - knees to the top of a head, if fighters are in north/south and the fighter on top throws knees, can do irreversible damage to the neck/spine
2 - if a downed fighter has their head up against (or even close to the cage) the cage, a kick to the face/head can do serious damage if the head being kicked just gets crushed against the cage when it gets kicked.

anyone 'member Cage Rage's "open guard" rule after they signed a deal with PRIDE and were spiraling out of control and into a total shitshow?

) If Mark Hunt can see that his opponent's eyes have rolled back, and walk away, so should Dan Henderson, because he doesn't, it makes him dirty.
Mark Hunt doesn't follow up because he has no ground game and doesn't want to gas out

A ref shouldn't be standing 10 feet away after a guy is rocked, KO'd, or almost submitted.
I blame the refs more than the fighters.
The argument is not about refs or fighters. It is about John McCarthy stating that "the down opponent rule is to protect a fighter from unnecessary shots when he is out." I think that rationale is silly, because a fist or elbow to an opponent who is already out is also devastating.

Now, some people will argue that a fist or elbow is not as bad as a knee or foot. That is also silly.

Here is why? If the pass rate for an exam is 70% and you get 60% and your stud ymate gets 50%. You both failed. So, arguing about who failed the worse is just silly.

Strikes to the head of a defenseless person are bad regardless of whether they are fists/elbows or knees/foot. If you are making a rule to protect down fighters, then no strikes to the head should be allowed.

if you are going to be selective, then you can just easily remove the rule, especially when the rules is so complicated even the officials and fighters and commissioners are not clear about it.

Personally I'm not a fan of GnP in general. It's fun to watch and something you should expect as a fighter but it takes no skill. Any dumbass can throw a punch at a downed opponents. Not everyone can submit someone.

But hey I'm a sucker for technique over power so thats just me.

It should be all on nothing for strikes on downed opponents.

Back