So about that combination punching...

Didn't watch all of it, but your leg kicks look pretty sweet, all relaxed and whip-like.

- More feints
- More combos
- More head movement

And I think you'd look great. IMO feints would be more important than combinations for you. You can get away without really throwing combos (especially in MMA), but not if your single shots are obvious and you never use feints. And once you get your opponent guessing and reacting to your feints, you'll feel more comfortable with throwing combinations.

I only watched a little bit of that but that was a sick flying knee
Funny thing is - I heard his corner shout 'take him down, now' So i thought 'allright, let's catch him entring'

That ring announcer's attire is dope.

Like another poster said, to have it come to 2nd nature more time and repetition needs to be put in to the point of becoming near instinctual. I was the same way when I first started, after near a year of doing nothing but combinations as offense, its now muscle memory. Everything I did: offense, countering (counter with combinations instead of a single strike), even MT clinching I did combinations (knee from front -> side -> dump).

You're a pro so you probably know more than I do, but that's from my exp. on how it came to me. We all lose some form of cognitive thinking when we get into the cage/ring, so having it as muscle memory is what's going to make us rely on it.
But I get it, MMA has alot to cover so its not like you can only do 1 thing the entire camp.

One thing I notice is, you let him get out of the corner a bit too easily, you should try to keep here or at least punish him when he tries to get out. He escapes to your left, use hooks. He escapes to your right, body kick and work from there. kick, 3,2 is a good one.

Regardless, its still a good fight, your opponent looked like a mini Brock Lesnar.
Just curious, are you more of a grappler than striker?

I started as a grappler, but that dude's crazy good on the ground (currently brown belt, multiple European purple belt bjj champion).
Besides, I'm in love with striking more and more.

I know, I will have it in a few days most likely, but I am kina asking about how and what do you think while sparring / fighting [whenever throwing combinations live].
Personally, if I want to land a liver kick, I'll open with a 1-2 with the intention of landing the 2, then according to how they react, I'll either step forward and throw the kick or abandon it. I don't usually use combos much but rather counter or lead with single, safe shots. Only combos I use are 1-1-2, 1-2, 1-right kick. Works ok for me, but I'm no pro. Probably not good to take advice from me xD

Didn't watch all of it, but your leg kicks look pretty sweet, all relaxed and whip-like.

- More feints
- More combos
- More head movement

And I think you'd look great. IMO feints would be more important than combinations for you. You can get away without really throwing combos (especially in MMA), but not if your single shots are obvious and you never use feints. And once you get your opponent guessing and reacting to your feints, you'll feel more comfortable with throwing combinations.
You're right about feints [and the rest ofc], I will incorporate more of them.

Back