So about that combination punching...

szJack

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey!
Just got my 4th pro fight behind me (up to 3-1 YEY! /showoff over) and I was watching retransmission (sadly, I do not have it online just yet) and I was worried on how few combinations I was throwing.
I was hunting for one shot and didn't engage enough.
I was talking with a teammate and he said I kinda do that while sparring, too.
So I began wondering - how can I improve that. Maybe do not think that much about combinations?
I mean - maybe I want to do a liver kick, so I don't plan whole combination, but just kind of let my hands go, and just make sure I end this with a kick?
How can I improve on that?

Thanks!

Would be easier if you had any video to show.

I know, I will have it in a few days most likely, but I am kina asking about how and what do you think while sparring / fighting [whenever throwing combinations live].

I know, I will have it in a few days most likely, but I am kina asking about how and what do you think while sparring / fighting [whenever throwing combinations live].

Well I'm not a pro yet like you are and I'm not sure what to comment on, but I can tell you about me I guess and see if it can help you make out your own combination gameplan.

My style is systematic and calculated, so I never have to think about combinations or what to do - I have a pre-made arsenal of feints and combinations as part of my strategy and I adapt the rhythm and selection of these dynamically. First thing I do is get in his face feinting with the jab and throwing some out there that are meant to connect on his guard so I can pull back and see what mood he's in. From the start of the fight I'm ready to slide back and counter at any moment. I'll keep feinting and switching up targets, combinations & rhythm with long and safe attacks in snap/bicycle snap kicks, jabs, crosses all of which I try to target to the body as much as possible and low calf kicks until I've established that I can pick him apart if he's inactive. When he goes after me as planned/expected, I try to time counters (my basic go-tos are front snap kicks, pivot left+arm extension/block/hand trap>rear straight, slide back>rear straight, check lead hook/jab, reactive takedowns that I just use to land free body shots as he's getting up & if I have time to throw it, a spinning foot sweep/back kick).

I push to the cage from the beginning both to control the fight and to take away some of his ability to kick by getting him on the backfoot. I also like to circle toward his power side with small steps (like some boxer advocated whos name I can't remember) and want him to throw it, because I like to make my opponent mentally feel that I nullify his best weapons rather than me trying to avoid them. I also fight at a long distance again for control's sake and like the inside angle for shot selection too. If I get him to the cage I will try to get a takedown or running foot sweep off a feinted leg kick so I can use knee-on-belly against the cage, the aforementioned body shots as he gets up, and then disengage. I don't want to give him opportunities to hit back, don't want to get caught up in ugly exchanges, and even though I like the clinch a lot since knees are one of my favourite things in a fight I want to save the clinch for when he's already been tired out relative to me so his resistance in it is lesser.

The big picture of what I'm waiting for with these counters other than winding him is signs that he for whatever reason has stopped considering the idea that I could go on a committed lead meant to KO rather than sap and control him, and that is when I will start seriously going for the head. This can happen quickly or not in a fight depending on the opponent. When I see that I explode on him with all-out flying knees (to the body, unless I can reach his head) and combinations that usually involve hand traps, start using my remaining feints, look to trap him in the clinch and destroy him with knees if I crash into him after an attack, and greatly raise my tempo. That shift is also a contingency in case I need to take it to him because I'm getting picked apart, but that's not supposed to happen ;) and of course this is the plan on paper and not necessarily as it turns out.

Hope I could help in some way at least.

Last edited:
Do you have any sparring partners that you are way better than? If so then put those rounds to good use. Use these partners as a way to practice the stuff you want to land on tougher fighters.

When I was training with my friend in combat sambo, he wasn't particularly aggressive which meant he was getting hit. So I said that in a minute round he had to throw twenty strikes. That pressure, with our coach keeping the time, got my friend more aggressive and going for combinations more.

So I'd recommend that.

When I was training with my friend in combat sambo, he wasn't particularly aggressive which meant he was getting hit. So I said that in a minute round he had to throw twenty strikes. That pressure, with our coach keeping the time, got my friend more aggressive and going for combinations more.

So I'd recommend that.

That's what Frankie Edgar has said he does. He has an strikes/minute count and his coaches get on him if he isn't meeting it.

Nice! Some great ideas, I'll get on that! I think 25 per minute is enough.

Are you seriously a professional fighter who doesnt know how to throw combinations?

Christ. This isn't as much of a dig at you as rather at the state of "striking" in mma.

Hey!
Just got my 4th pro fight behind me (up to 3-1 YEY! /showoff over) and I was watching retransmission (sadly, I do not have it online just yet) and I was worried on how few combinations I was throwing.
I was hunting for one shot and didn't engage enough.
I was talking with a teammate and he said I kinda do that while sparring, too.
So I began wondering - how can I improve that. Maybe do not think that much about combinations?
I mean - maybe I want to do a liver kick, so I don't plan whole combination, but just kind of let my hands go, and just make sure I end this with a kick?
How can I improve on that?

Thanks!

If you want to be a really good fighter, learn several good preset combinations and drill them over and over and over and over until muscle memory makes them as sharp as possible. Switch levels etc to force openings. Throw them with variety.

If you want to be a great fighter, learn how to be fluid and organic in your combinations so that you aren't throwing preset combinations, but rather selecting punches based on real time reactions. IE master all of the tools and then be ready to use them interchangeably to adapt best to the position.

I would start with #1.

Best of luck man.

Dude, come on, I've never said I can't throw combinations. I am just asking - how to force myself to throw more of them.

That's what Frankie Edgar has said he does. He has an strikes/minute count and his coaches get on him if he isn't meeting it.
Interestingly enough, that's how I got the idea

Nice! Some great ideas, I'll get on that! I think 25 per minute is enough.

Keep me posted dude, I checked out your instagram and some of your old posts, you're a pretty good fighter!

Wow, this took a lot longer than expected.

Anyway -

Sorry for the delay. I'm the dude in red / black shorts.
This was a close fight... too close for my liking. I think I improved my combination punching after this fight, been working on it for over a month now.

Critique is welcomed, as always.

I really liked what I saw.
He is a huge man for your weight category, however you defended pretty well in the first round, while he was trying to muscle you. Then in 2nd round you controlled him and gassed him out. 3rd round he had no energy whatsoever. It was not a close a fight at all. He was the bigger man but you the better fighter.

I am not a fighter, I have no amateur experience even. I just recently started practicing more often, however I love to watch and read analyses of fighting. So I am not sure how accurate my analyses is.

What I liked:
- your rear kick is well hidden when you trow it
- your jab and the body jab + rear hand cross or the body head jab
- your ability to counter
- your ability to defend
- these counter knees

What I did not like:
- the lead kick. Why dont you step to the right a bit more to create an angle where it is harder to counter you?
- that sometimes you trow high power kicks and punches as starters which take a lot of energy and are easy to spot. The only good power shot that you trow is the rear kick. Instead I would advice for more push kick and jabs. Your jab is good use it.

Overall I think your style is of an aggressive counter puncher. Fighters like that Tyson and Golovking. Although Tyson is a very unique fighter. If you would like to improve a bit punching I would suggest following a bit Golovkin as I believe his style is suitable for MMA. His jab is magnificent and his volume of punches amazing, his rhytm and tempo very high. However he is just like you going forward, staying very defensively responsible, trowing the jab and defending or countering.

Regarding your question with the combos. I am not sure why most people are obsessed with them. However if you watch boxing the best fighters rarely opt for combos. Take Maywheater for an example. He is according to me the best fighter the world has ever seen. His attacks are: jab, jab to the body, right hand and gazella type left hook. All of them look very similar or Maywheater makes them look very similar when initiating. He sells them almost always due to perfect technique and speed. This is how he attacks. No combos whatsoever. But he is brilliant in defending and counter punching. He is amazing both inside and outside. He controls all of his opponents. He uses mostly single shots in his attacks and counters. What he cares about is being defensively responsible and counter properly while always controlling his opponent.

Edit: Some solid advice I ve got from my coaches for combos:
- body, head, body head
- always finish with the lead hand or lead kick as this gets your to your natural defending position. Option if you finish for example with the rear hand is to slip back to the same side so it gets you back to the natural defending position.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win!
How to get the combinations you drilled into your fight: You're going to need a lot of repetitions to change your game/mindset, so I suggest executing these moves every time you spar light.

-Throw full combinations from the outside, don't have to hit anything. Simply feel the range and see the reaction from your partner. This'll get you many reps, and you'll notice how deterrent/scary combos are for opponents.
-Use lateral/forward footwork as much as possible. Get in the pocket. In your fight I noticed that you were never in range to land a second strike.

The purpose is 1. feeling the power of combos and wanting to use them, 2. getting comfortable being in the pocket, so you don't prematurely ejaculate a single strike before you ever get in combo position.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!

I wanted to post a couple of Golovkin analyses videos to whom I compare your style

And anything in the youtube that goes with Wilson Kayden and Golovkin. There should be about 3-4 videos.
I would recommend to go trough his channel as there is a lot of knowledge and his recommended videos too.

Anyway -

This was a close fight... too close for my liking. I think I improved my combination punching after this fight, been working on it for over a month now.

I only watched a little bit of that but that was a sick flying knee

Last edited:

Anyway -

That ring announcer's attire is dope.

Like another poster said, to have it come as 2nd nature more time and repetition needs to be put in to the point of becoming near instinctual. I was the same way when I first started, after near a year of doing nothing but combinations as my offense, its now muscle memory. Everything I did: offense, countering (counter with combinations instead of a single strike), even MT clinching I did combinations (knee from front -> side -> dump).

You're a pro so you probably know more than I do, but that's from my exp. on how it came to me. We all lose some form of cognitive thinking when we get into the cage/ring, so having it as muscle memory is what we're going to rely on.
But I get it, MMA has alot of material to cover, so its not like you can only do 1 thing the entire camp.

One thing I do notice is, you let him get out of the corner a bit too easily. You should try to keep him there or at least punish him when he tries to get out. He escapes to your left, use hooks. He escapes to your right, body kick and work from there. kick, 3,2 is a good one.

Regardless, its still a good fight, your opponent looked like a mini Brock Lesnar.
Just curious, are you more of a grappler than striker?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back