Snorkel training

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Has anyone used a snorkel for their training? If so did it improve your cardio? Im not looking to make a big debate about all the scientific evidence behind it. Just wanting to know if anyone has actually tried it themself and if so, did they benefit?

It was really good for seeing fish and coral when I was in the Bahamas. Literally the only thing a snorkel is good for.

Haven’t been to Bahamas but snorkeled in Hawaii and in California. I’d say it was a lot more fun in Hawaii because of the fish and coral. Don’t know whether it improved cardio at all, but it was very relaxing. Only recommendation I’d make is to use sunscreen and reapply every hour if you’re snorkeling in Hawaii. It’s so easy to get carried away with the wonderment and beauty that you forget about that harsh Hawaiian sun beating down on your back (no doubt responsible for the darker skin tones on the island). Long story short, I got bad sun poisoning from it. That’s what I get for chasing around sea turtles. Beautiful creatures, though.

Wait, what was the question?

Has anyone used a snorkel for their training? If so did it improve your cardio? Im not looking to make a big debate about all the scientific evidence behind it. Just wanting to know if anyone has actually tried it themself and if so, did they benefit?

I’m not sure if it will improve your conditioning, however I’ve spoken to a couple of people who have use those elevated mask for boxing and they mentioned that it help them learn to control their breathing.

I thought about purchasing the Bas Rutten O2 trainer for improving my conditioning.

True story: I used the O2 trainer for a few months before I went on my honeymoon to Hawaii and it improved my snorkeling game like no other. I was able to dive and swim around with sea turtles and several people asked if I was a professional. Im pretty sure I was able to do all that because of the O2 trainer. I’m not being facetious at all. I know it sounds like it, but I’m really not.

Still, I don’t know if I noticed any improvements re cardiovascular performance during that time. The O2 is probably better for exercising the intercostal muscles than a snorkel—I would think.

Also, no need to buy weird gadgets to train your lungs. Just buy a really thin plastic tube and inhale through it ten-twenty times really hard. Something that will provide resistance.

I was looking at the 02 trainer.

I have been skipping with the snorkel. I dont notice much of a difference, the only thing I can think of, is that it may strengthen the muscles used for breathing. when you take a breath it must travel "X" amount of distance down the trachea, into the windpipe, lungs, etc. So Im looking at it like the snorkel is adding "10" inches to my windpipe, forcing me to inhale down a longer windpipe. Probably a very minor difference but it cant hurt, i dont think anyways.

Back