Smoking and drinking as an athlete?

I believe Saku and Joe Schilling smoke in preparation for their fights. I guess it doesn't appear to be too much of an issue if you train hard enough, but one has to wonder how good those guys could be without the cigs.

As a dude who gasses bad after 2 rounds of rolling, smoking is the last thing I'd want to do.
It's going to seem odd, but the fighters I know that smoke, don't actually have tank issues. Gas tank is heavily reliant on knowing how to breathe, you can have the best tank in the world, but if you're always exhaling on actions and not inhaling or controlling your breathing, you'll gas.

Kimura (Judo) smoked heavily, and it did kill him (lung cancer), but he's also an example of a fighter who smoked often and was rather successful.

There is a famous old picture among cyclists that shows a team passing cigarettes to each other after a race. They believed it expands their lungs. I've never smoked myself beyond high school many years ago so I have no idea how smoking helps or hurts. I know it causes lung cancer and other diseases so I will pass.

As far as drinking, if it's a weight issue I'll stop drinking about a month out from a tournament. If weight isn't an issue I just won't drink that week. A couple of tournaments ago, after weighing in (weight wasn't an issue) I went out to dinner and had two 16oz beers with a big burger. Needless to say, the tournament didn't go well.

I smoke bongs daily and can average 12.4 on the beep test with a 90kg max bench at 75 kgs

Back