Small wrestlers, how much weight can they give away

Davem10

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I weigh roughly 145 at the minute and don't plan on getting heavier

Would a 145 pound person with say one year of wrestling training twice a week be able to takedown and keep down a 200 pound guy who has no training ?

I'm aware it's a silly hypothetical with lots of what ifs but I'm curious in general as I work in mental health and there are many restraints Im involved in.

If I started wrestling regularly would this be beneficial in a one on one situation with a psychotic 200 pound guy

The obvious answer is yes, but when it's applied to myself I'm unsure as I am so light. Can such a large weight difference of say 60+ pounds be overcome with a year or so wrestling experience ?

I currently box but considering adding in wrestling or maybe replacing boxing with wrestling if it will be beneficial

Well yes, of course. I don't see why not. If the guy has no training, it should definitely be doable. Just learn how to keep weight on him and even pin him.

But don't try to wrestle patients/service users lmao. Use accepted restraining techniques, unless you want to get fired.

Skating over the obviously horrible legal/ethical/employment implications of what you're asking...

It's possible if you're already in decent shape and/or have prior combat sports experience.

I'm about that size and I was taking people down in (BJJ) open weight divisions within a year of starting wrestling. I was already a purple belt in BJJ, though.

Yes. You might have trouble with the real athletic ones, but it’s a mental ward you should be fine for the most part

So I weigh roughly 145 at the minute and don't plan on getting heavier

Would a 145 pound person with say one year of wrestling training twice a week be able to takedown and keep down a 200 pound guy who has no training ?

I'm aware it's a silly hypothetical with lots of what ifs but I'm curious in general as I work in mental health and there are many restraints Im involved in.

If I started wrestling regularly would this be beneficial in a one on one situation with a psychotic 200 pound guy

The obvious answer is yes, but when it's applied to myself I'm unsure as I am so light. Can such a large weight difference of say 60+ pounds be overcome with a year or so wrestling experience ?

I currently box but considering adding in wrestling or maybe replacing boxing with wrestling if it will be beneficial

From personal experience, when I was 147lbs many years ago, I easily shot a double leg takedown on a 200lb man in his twenties and took him done easily.

One caveat is that I didn’t wrestle only twice a week, but trained 6 days a week during wrestling season for years.

In theory, someone training twice a week with intensity and dedication should take a much larger, untrained guy down. As to which takedown to use, I’m not so sure. The bigger they are, the harder they fall and they might get hurt bad doing it and you might get sued.

If you're a 145-pound athlete then you should be able to mix technique with strength and be able to easily take down a 200 pound person. I compete at featherweight and take down guys 60 to 80 pounds heavier than me all the time.

It's not just technique that will help. I'm about average strength for the weight class and I can easily rep 315 on both Squat and deadlift. 95% of males can't even do 315 for one rep...

It's not all about size. Size definitely helps when you have technique and strength to back it up but the reality is most 200lb males are slow and significantly weaker than pretty much every single combat athlete regardless of weight

I took a few of my good highschool wrestlers to grappling practice last year. Most had 2-4 years of training, and could take down all of the brown and black belts, minus the ones who were over 250 ( I wouldnt let them go with them since they were 15-17 years old and 145-160lbs), and one black belt who wrestled for 6 years before starting BJJ

After a year or two training every day, there arent many 200lb guys on the planet that are going to give you much trouble. Wrestling is so much technique.

Back