Small SUV recommendations

Toyota FJ Cruiser is dope

What's good to buy? I see so many on the road from so many different makers. A lot of them look alike. I read a small sample size of reports of RAV4 having steering and transmission problems.
What about something like a Nissan Xterra? You can still them in really condition and there is aftermarket support for them.

My cousin has a buick encore, she loves it.

I have a 2015 Encore all wheel drive. I like it.
api-model-year-image.ashx

My wife has a ford escape. It gets the job done. Great in the snow.
Fun fact my dad had the first lifted escape , he wanted a small suv for tight trails. He pre ordered one and got it as soon as they hit the lots.

Took it straight to a shop in Baja and had them make a lift for it. Not huge just 4” and put 33”s on it.

He has a bronco 2 with a 10” lift and 38’s now. He’s nuts

Go find a 2012-2014 Nissan Xterra with low miles. It's cheap, actually feels like a truck and not super common

We have a Kia Sorento. It was the highest reviewed back when we bought it a few years ago. I believe it's still rated very highly.

Subcompact SUV?

Ford EcoSport or Mazda CX3

Compact SUV

Ford Escape or Mazda CX5

Last edited:
Yeah they are. We are planning on having kids in about a year. We'll probably end up getting the Enclave.

I suppose you are right, but for some reason i don't think they look bad. I like the BMW version.
I don’t dislike them per-say, I just can’t call them suv’s

Literally none of the cars suggested in this thread are SUV's except the 4runner.

Crossovers are just lifted chick cars.

I don’t dislike them per-say, I just can’t call them suv’s
the ugliest one 've seen is the crossover from honda.

And looking into it, i just found out that BMW calls it a sport activity coupe (ha! it's a sac). So you're right, it's not an suv.

We have a GMC Terrain, not sure if TS needs a 4WD or not. We got ours in 2012, no issues at all, enough leg room in the rear seating area, nice interior, well insulated. A good value for the money.

Small truck

Toyota Tacoma
My last Toyota truck I bought new in 1986 for 12.5k, they’re around 40k now. Never saw that coming, I love that little truck I had and they get that money for them cuz they’re popular and people are willing to pay that price.
I’d still like to get another one some day down the dirt road.

I just got a Hyundai Tuscon. I like it so far, decent gas mileage, drives well and has enough room for me and my kiddo.

Back