Small hands! Help with 16oz sparring gloves

never enough

Colour my life with the Chaos of trouble
@Orange
Reaction score
I have searched the threads but havent found a definitive answer. Im 5'7 140 pounds with small hands and wrists. I have a pair of fairtex Bgv1 12oz and find them too roomy with an overly wide hand compartment. ( maybe ita to do with the lack of a grip bar)
I find the 10z twins good but they were really tight to start with.

Im thinking of the breathable fairtex bgv1 I know they wont be as durable as full leather but I wont be using them as much seeing as they will just be for sparring. or boons or bvg9s
Are these good for girly hands? (Im not a girl BTW) I dont want something as massive and pillowy as the topkings or twins
I dont have the opportunity to try any on as Im in New Zealand and will be buying online
Knuckle circumference is 8 inches and wrists are 6 1/4 if that helps

Hey mate, I have smallish hands (Being a smallish person) I've just gotten some Topboxer 12oz gloves and I find they're almost too small for me. But just big enough to wear them comfortably. You might do well to get a pair of them. (I'm in Australia) Fairtex usually have fairly roomy gloves, but you might be able to find a nice pair of Fairtex BGV9's in 12oz that could also be nicely sized. You're about the same size as me.

Hey mate, I have smallish hands (Being a smallish person) I've just gotten some Topboxer 12oz gloves and I find they're almost too small for me. But just big enough to wear them comfortably. You might do well to get a pair of them. (I'm in Australia) Fairtex usually have fairly roomy gloves, but you might be able to find a nice pair of Fairtex BGV9's in 12oz that could also be nicely sized. You're about the same size as me.

Yeah Ive been thinking about topboxer custom made gloves if they arent too expensive, I wil need at least 14oz gloves for sparring but worried they will all be too big

Yeah Ive been thinking about topboxer custom made gloves if they arent too expensive, I wil need at least 14oz gloves for sparring but worried they will all be too big

Topboxer gloves cost $149usd. So in Kiwi pesos that'd be around $204.00. Honestly at your size I wouldn't be too worried about 14oz for sparring. Or alternatively get Fairtex BGV6 for sparring and use Topboxer 12oz for pads and bag work. Which is what I do.

Thats pretty good really, I paid around $120 usd for both the twins and the fairtex

The other thing you could try is to buy some Winning Ng-2 knuckle guards to put under your wraps and make your hands fill out your gloves a bit more. Are you doing Muay Thai or boxing? Because you seem to be picking Thai brands which can be a bit roomier to accommodate movement during the clinch.

Alternatively Topboxer can make you gloves to your hand measurements at the weight you need.

The other thing you could try is to buy some Winning Ng-2 knuckle guards to put under your wraps and make your hands fill out your gloves a bit more. Are you doing Muay Thai or boxing? Because you seem to be picking Thai brands which can be a bit roomier to accommodate movement during the clinch.

Alternatively Topboxer can make you gloves to your hand measurements at the weight you need.
Muay thai. But doing alot of heavy bag work at a boxing gym as well. The muay thai class is mainly padwork

Muay thai. But doing alot of heavy bag work at a boxing gym as well. The muay thai class is mainly padwork

You should be fine with Fairtex BGV9 for pad and bag work then. For sparing you'll need something softer because they are very dense.

Hang on - Why would you complain about BGV1s and then consider a different version of the BGV1?

My BGV1s probably have the biggest hand compartment out of every glove I've owned. My knuckles are a bit smaller than yours, but roomy gloves don't tend to bother me a huge amount.

BE
Hang on - Why would you complain about BGV1s and then consider a different version of the BGV1?

My BGV1s probably have the biggest hand compartment out of every glove I've owned. My knuckles are a bit smaller than yours, but roomy gloves don't tend to bother me a huge amount.
why I was considering the bgv1 breathable because apparently they are 'tight fit' and they have a grip bar. I love the quality of my bvg1s but the roomy hand compartment and lack of grip bar annoys me.

Now Im looking at the bgv9 From what Ive read the hand compartment is much smaller on the bgv9 and there is a grip bar and better wrist support.

Feel free too give another recommendation though

BGV9 has some of the best wrist support I've ever had in a glove. The BGV1 has no wrist support because Muay Thai has a lot of clinching so they need movement in their wrists.

BGV9 has some of the best wrist support I've ever had in a glove. The BGV1 has no wrist support because Muay Thai has a lot of clinching so they need movement in their wrists.
Got the bgv9s in 12oz for bags and pads, arriving in the next few days hopefully. I Still have to buy sparring gloves now lol
Any experience wirh Boons from what ive read the hand compartment is small so 16oz might work on my little hands, or maybe splash out on topboxers and get custom made

Got the bgv9s in 12oz for bags and pads, arriving in the next few days hopefully. I Still have to buy sparring gloves now lol
Any experience wirh Boons from what ive read the hand compartment is small so 16oz might work on my little hands, or maybe splash out on topboxers and get custom made

I don't think I've ever used Boons, If I have I've forgotten them. Fairtex are quality, if you find the hand compartment is too big (which for 12oz I think would be hard) you can get some Winning guards or Radius wraps to fill it out a bit more.

Just unboxed them and I have to say Im liking them!!!
Nice looking compact glove, Looks smaller than the bgv1 12oz and the 10oz twins!
Tighter hand compartment than the standard fairtex (havent tried them on with wraps yet) they actually feel great on, Cant wait to try them out on the bag tomorrow
Great recommendation!!

Just unboxed them and I have to say Im liking them!!!
Nice looking compact glove, Looks smaller than the bgv1 12oz and the 10oz twins!
Tighter hand compartment than the standard fairtex (havent tried them on with wraps yet) they actually feel great on, Cant wait to try them out on the bag tomorrow
Great recommendation!!

Glad you're happy with them. BGV9 is my favorite glove.

Boons are quite (overly) snug, they conform to your hands after some (week or so) breaking in. I think Top King is even more snug than Boon (is that the one?), which is incredible if true

Boons are quite (overly) snug, they conform to your hands after some (week or so) breaking in. I think Top King is even more snug than Boon (is that the one?), which is incredible if true
Most of the thai brands are because they are deigned for the Thai people who generally have smaller hands than Westerners. I've never used Boon (that I can remember) But I have owned some TopKings and they were quite snug. Fairtex will always be my go to Thai brand unless another brand pops up with quality like theirs.

I like tight gloves. Will probably get the boons in 16oz just for sparring. They might be good on my smallish hands

I like tight gloves. Will probably get the boons in 16oz just for sparring. They might be good on my smallish hands

A good pair of Boon gloves is my favorite. The weight distribution and awesome wrist support feels just sooo right. To me, they feel like they make my arms just fly

Boons are like a pair of good leather boots-- you need to break them in or you'll get blisters.

When you're breaking them in first week or so, be sure to put athletic tape (or duct tape if you don't have or cant find athletic tape) over the sore spots that will form on parts of your fingers- you'll know where these parts are after just a round or two. The parts that get rubbed against at first are the parts you should tape over (same parts each time). The rest of your hand should be good because its covered with wraps. They feel great after that and after a few days to a week or so, you won't even need to put the extra tape over your finger areas anymore because it will have formed to your individual hand

A good pair of Boon gloves is my favorite. The weight distribution and awesome wrist support feels just sooo right. To me, they feel like they make my arms just fly

Boons are like a pair of good leather boots-- you need to break them in or you'll get blisters.

When you're breaking them in first week or so, be sure to put athletic tape (or duct tape if you don't have or cant find athletic tape) over the sore spots that will form on parts of your fingers- you'll know where these parts are after just a round or two. The parts that get rubbed against at first are the parts you should tape over (same parts each time). The rest of your hand should be good because its covered with wraps. They feel great after that and after a few days to a week or so, you won't even need to put the extra tape over your finger areas anymore because it will have formed to your individual hand

the break in with Boons seems pretty rough. I know with Fairtex my fingers got rubbed down just above my fingernail but nowhere else.

Back