Slamming in Grappling

O

Overtures

Check this out. What do you think about this idea that slamming changes the flavor of the game? In a way, I don't think it's very important because it's a grappling match, not a slamming match. And if the idea is that slamming is a part of fighting, then look at mma where slams aren't used all that much and bjj guys do pretty well once they learn wrestling.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...ideos/1648152261891784/&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Of course it changes it.

But for a niche sport so dependent on a hobbyist clientele that has to make a certain income to be sustainable it just isn't a good idea

The same way that folkstyle has the slam rule so some poor first year 6th grader with a spare tire doesn't get on his head by the star running back

The compromise is the Bravo rule of if you get lifted you reset in acknowledgement of the slam. Etc

Mma sparring/rolling/grappling is a different story

So what happens when a Greco and folk style wrestler go against each other?

I never understood people jumping into guard while standing. I know the rules protect them from slams and that bjj is a sport but it's such a horrible idea in a real fight, especially over a hard surface like concrete.

I trained BJJ and some light mma for 4 years and I think I'd get my ass kicked in a street fight against an untrained person.

It changes it the way head buts and soccer kicks change mma. I am fine with limitations on it based on level and type of competition.

ukemi1.gif

jumping closed guard should be banned anyway.

I don't think we can compare techniques done in class and BJJ competitions with self defence. People seem to have this idea that BJJ practitioners will treat a streetfight like a BJJ match and pull de la riva guard or whatever. I imagine most people would have the sense to use the most basic techniques to end it quickly and safely (or just get away) rather than this idea that everyone is going to pull guard or look for a flying triangle on concrete.

BJJ (or any martial art with rules) is never going to have all its techniques be 'street certified'. I frequently find myself in positions rolling where I think "I'd be so dead if we could strike" and that's fine because we're in an environment with rules. Trying to conflate a 'real fight' to this environment to prove a lack of utility in the martial art is a bit disingenuous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back