Skill VS Strenght & conditioning

Muaythaifighter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
In MMA you have to be good in both striking and grappling both take a lot of time to develop the skill for. But the other thing that is very important is S&C.

So my question would be how do you guys break down your training. Do you guys do less S&C when you're not in camp and once you're in training camp you have less skill training and more conditioning training? How do you guys make it work?

Why wouldn't a fighter S&C during training camp?
No what I mean is out of camp: More skill and less S&C. In Camp: Less skill and more S&C.

That's the only logical explanation to me because if you're in camp you should have the tools to fight you shouldn't be learning to fight in camp you should be getting your body ready.

My fighters do it differently than your train of thought.

In the pseudo-off season, we work on 1RM/usable strength and Aerobic development. The biggest difference in the lifting side is that movement posture takes precedence over numbers. Here, we also work on skill that they need to fix from their previous fights/known deficiencies.

Once camp starts, the weights taper quickly, and we start training for speed, then speed-endurance and game planning.

Overall it depends on the number of fights I plan to take during the year. I usually compete twice a year, I find that it gives me a good amount of time to develop strength outside of camp. It takes a bit of time to develop strength, if I keep taking fights every 2 months, I'd only have 2 months of real barbell progress, and I'd never progress that way. I look at it like saving up for a large home, but if I'm blowing income on a new car or fancy projects all the time, I'd never get the house.

When in camp I drop the lifting to 2 days a week, I do 531 2 days with some extra stuff. Off camp, I lift 4-6 days a week, with the sport secondary. 60:40 ratio

It will seem somewhat unorthodox, but I do conditioning in camp, until I reach a point where my VO2 max is good. When I am able to handle high intensity sparring with good amount of volume without gassing, and without taking rounds of then I cut the cardio down slightly. So what I mean is, I do 5-8 x 5min rounds (depending on the sport, MT is 2min, MMA is 5min, with MT camp, the volume will be increased) and taking the usual 1min break in between, I don't get any rounds off. When I'm able to do that normally without strain on my tank, I drop the cardio, and add a strength day back in, so 3 days a week.

So in short, off season, more strength work, in camp more conditioning until I reach a certain point, and I taper that. Skill work remains the same all year round.

Skill work and sport-specific conditioning should make up the bulk of your training, camp or not. General S&C work should be fit in where it can. Varies based on sport, but the model should never deviate too far from that.

a lower level fighter and somebody new to the iron game is going to be able to increase all levels of fitness concurrently. After 2-3 years you are going to have to go to block scheduling for whatever you are lacking being the priority of the block...an in camp block is basically just keeping your conditioning levels high and more or less just maintaining strength.....the closer you are to a fight the more sport specific the training has to be

Back