Sityodtong, Wai Kru, or Red Line??

Redline is the cleanest gym I've been to in Boston. Dave Ginsburg is the BJJ coach there now, and when he joined, it made a good gym even better. I don't like the roid rages at the other gyms and they have a student discount, so I pay about $95/month to take boxing with Lyle Lashly, kickboxing with Marvin Perry, BJJ with Dave Ginsburg, MMA with Lefty Rosado and a cross fit class too.

for what its worth i used to train at sityodtong a few years ago. basically right before mark got on tuf so im sure things have changed somewhat now. the muay thai was excellent. they have great coaching and mark was around all the time back then. they also had a lot of thai kids who were great stand up guys to train with. the bjj was shit but i think they have new guys now. but i would agree that boston bjj in newton is the best place in mass ive seen for bjj. i think the price for sityodong has gone up too. it may be the case that you pay more for less now, but i cant imagine its not a good gym now.

Redline is the cleanest gym I've been to in Boston. Dave Ginsburg is the BJJ coach there now, and when he joined, it made a good gym even better. I don't like the roid rages at the other gyms and they have a student discount, so I pay about $95/month to take boxing with Lyle Lashly, kickboxing with Marvin Perry, BJJ with Dave Ginsburg, MMA with Lefty Rosado and a cross fit class too.

Not only that, but there are now 3 wrestling classes a week!

On Friday and Sunday, local amateur fighter Jeremiah "Dr Doom" DiRuzzo teaches a catch wrestling class. He's wrestled freestyle for 6+ years (jr high + highschool) and has 4 years of Greco under his belt (college). And on top of that, he's spent several years training Catch Wrestling, BJJ, and Sambo.

He does a great job melding techniques from the various disciplines he's studied to compliment one another. He teaches you to shoot, he teaches you to throw, and he teaches you to use one to set up the other.

Johnny Bravo (yes that's his real name), who has been teaching wrestling for almost a decade, and training for around 15 years, has a Freestyle class on Mondays. It focuses solely on the fundamentals, which newbies need to learn and veterans need to hone.

As joejit mentioned, David Ginsberg has been an amazing addition to the school. Aside from the fact that he's a spectacular coach with an amazing knack for detail, he's also a number of his students to the gym as well. His brown belt, purple belts, and blue belts create an awesome infrastructure, so it's not like the jiujitsu program is just a great teacher + a couple of MMA fighters + a ton of newbies. Redline has essentially taken an already-established jiujitsu program and injected it whole right into the gym.

Between the Sanda, Boxing, Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wrestling, MMA, AND crossfit-style conditioning classes (which are offered 3 afternoons and 4 nights a week), it is a COMPLETE program.

The only downside is that there are not many fighters, as it is a new gym, but that can also be a good thing in that you won't get the cold shoulder just because you're not a famous pro -- something that's known to happen in other gyms.

Last edited:
Redline isn't what is used to be. No more Marvin Perry and now they're fielding fighters who are 0-7 like this one:

Very disreputable gym in the area. Serious fighters should look elsewhere

You resurrected this thread from 2010 to bash the school? And bashed redline again in another thread.

What's your vendetta?

I own a boxing club in the area, so I have no incentive to pump up another gym. With that said, I’ve worked with numerous fighters that have trained at Red Line, and they speak fairly highly of the program there. They also showed up with a solid boxing foundation that I was able to easily build upon.

Every interaction I’ve had with the coaches have been pleasant as well.

if anyone from the Boston are goes to any of these gyms, I'd love to hear a review....

I use to train at Brazilian Martial Arts Center in Sommerville (up the street from Sityodtong) for about 3 years....got laid off and couldnt affort to go....gained about 20lbs and now looking to get back into training.....I've been training the last 5 months about once or twice a week with a Cambodian guy who teaches Pradal Serey(basically muay thai) but I really want to start training grappling again....BMAC is now to overpriced and they charge you for a belt test in everything from Muay Thai to no gi about once a month so thats out.....I got a crazy work schedule that changes almost monthly, different days off all the time, working days then workin nights so I wanted a place that had a real flexible schedule.....I've never trained with the gi either and I want to try that....there's also one of the best boxing gyms around right in my city, they win at the New England Golden Gloves all the time, but I'd only be able to got once a week, and if you're not their 6 times a week, they wont even look at you...its an old school Latin boxing gym

I've heard Sityodtong is the best muay thai gym around but can get crowded....schedule wise I'd be able to go a decent amount of the time...but the price is a little steep

Wai Kru has the best schedule around, decent price, and all the stand up and grappling you can get but I've heard nothing but bad things about that gym on this site...dont know why people say its so garbage, their fighters seem to clean up at the local grappling events and do pretty well in local mma....plus I think John Howard and Sean Gannon train there...John use to be one of the trainers at BMAC when I first went and he as the man, madd humble and easy to learn from

Red Line Fight Sports has a similar schedule to Wai Kru, the price is the best I've seen so far......they are mainly a San Da gym but have incorporated grappling....facility is sick but I just havent heard that much about them, I know their main trainer Marvin is one of the best San Da fighters in the country....thier fighters do pretty well at muay thai to...only draw back is no BJJ

I know most of you will say go try a class at each gym and thats what I plan on doing, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal opinions on training at any of these gyms

who is the cambodian guy you are training with and what gym is it?

who is the cambodian guy you are training with and what gym is it?
Holy shit is this thread old. The Cambodian gym has been closed for years now and the fighters have all gone to other gyms

another fighter who trains in boston, really curious the point of tapping into the necromancy skills to conjure up a thread this old lol

what did red-line do to you.. need a hug?

Back