Sitjaopho Muay Thai Camp

Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
@Brown
Reaction score
I just spent a week training at Sitjaopho Muay Thai Camp in Hua Hin. This is the 11th different gym I have trained at in Thailand in the last 8 years, so I have a few other gyms to compare it to. I would rate Sitjaopho in the top three gyms that I have trained at. The thing that stood out the most was the sparring. I was able to spar every training session with Phet-Tho.

Thank you for this thread...Seems amazing that it is half the price of Tiger but with what seems from reviews, opposite sort of attention as far as getting great coaching that is personalized versus being just a number in a "fat camp" (I keep reading you guys making fun of camps over there like this!).

It mentions weights on their website, what sort of weight training equipment do they have?

If the rooms on site are really nice it seems tempting to just stay there since this would be my first trip to Thailand. Less hassle navigating around the better during the day for me, train, relax, train...

So the biggest hurdle seems to be getting from the airport to the gym, once you are there you can set it on cruise control?

This might seem random, but can you fly into Thailand with supplements? Protein powder, vitamin pill bottles etc?

We often sparred for 30-45 minutes. Phet-Tho speaks nearly perfect english. He is able to explain and model exactly what I need to correct. My real job is working as a elementary school teacher, so I appreciate a trainer who can teach well.

The gym is average size. 1 ring, 5 bags, and a matted training area. There are two houses next to the gym. One is for students and the other is for Phet Tho's family.

The training routine is 10 minutes of skipping, 10 minutes of shadowboxing, 5 four minute rounds on pads, 2 ten minute rounds on bag, sparring with a Thai trainer/fighter for about 30 minutes and clinching with a Thai trainer/fighter for 30 minutes.

Phet-Tho and his twin brother, Phet-Ek, IMO have the most beautiful Muay Thai. One of the main reasons I decided to come to Sitjaopho is because of their sparring footage on youtube. They are so relaxed and smooth. It is a perfect example of how proper Muay Thai sparring should look.

Thank you for this thread...Seems amazing that it is half the price of Tiger but with what seems from reviews, opposite sort of attention as far as getting great coaching that is personalized versus being just a number in a "fat camp" (I keep reading you guys making fun of camps over there like this!).

It mentions weights on their website, what sort of weight training equipment do they have?

If the rooms on site are really nice it seems tempting to just stay there since this would be my first trip to Thailand. Less hassle navigating around the better during the day for me, train, relax, train...

So the biggest hurdle seems to be getting from the airport to the gym, once you are there you can set it on cruise control?

This might seem random, but can you fly into Thailand with supplements? Protein powder, vitamin pill bottles etc?

Some people like staying at the gym.

It's easy to get to Hua Hin from BKK.

Supplements are fine, just have sealed original containers. In 20 trips to Thailand, I have never been stopped at the airport. Just walk through customs like you know what you are doing.

Hua Hin is about 2 hours south by taxi from Bangkok. I think I paid 1200 baht for the trip.
I used http://www.pttaxiservice.com
The driver was cool (i.e., not a meth head driving 200mph) and the price was fair.

The town of Hua Hin is pretty relaxed. There is a small bar district, but nothing too crazy. The King vacations there, so they keep the smut to a minimum. All the bars close between 12-2am.

The beach is also very nice, not all build up like the beaches in Phuket or Pattaya. The sand is nice and flat, so you could do your morning runs on the beach. You could run 5 miles in one direction without obstructions.

I stayed in the city center, about 10 minutes from the gym. I paid 1000 baht a night for a nice room. There are much cheaper options, small seaside rooms for 300-500 baht, but I like to have a nice room to come home to after training. Their internet wifi is pretty strong also. There are some great street food stalls around the hotel, the food is very clean.

1000 baht a night for this room.

20 chicken satay for $1

You can fill up a plate for $1.50 here

Me sparring with Phet Tho

Thai fighters sparring

Guide how to get to Sitjaopho Muay Thai Camp from Hua Hin city center.

Last edited:
Very cool. This gym wasn't even on my radar until this post. Thanks, Matt.

Some of the best trainers around, one of the best padholders around, surrounding of the gym, a place to check out for sure. Had very good times there thanks to the amazing atmosphere and because you

Very cool. This gym wasn't even on my radar until this post. Thanks, Matt.

It wasn't on my radar either. I was looking for someplace relaxed to start my vacation off, someplace to chill out and forget what day it is.

Hua Hin sounded like a good place start. I researched gyms and came across the videos of Phet Tho and Phet Ek, that sold me right then.

As soon as I arrived to the gym, I knew it was going to be good. It's like a countryside grassroots gym up in Isaan, except the trainers speak great English.

I plan on going back to sitjaopho in two weeks to finish off my Thailand trip.

I also finally got a Sak Yant. I have been thinking about it for the last 8 years. Trying to decide which yant I wanted to receive and where I should get one. I knew I didn;t want it from a normal tattoo shop. I went to a few temples over the years and looked at the process in which they did the sam yant. I was worried about infections and hepititis because they really didn't clean the needles to the standard I would accept.

I did a bit of research on places to get a sak yang in Hua Hin and came across Ajarn Khom. I had a friend call him and ask a few questions. At first he said no, he doesn't do sak yants for fashion. But I was able to convince him I wanted it for the right reasons and am willing to follow the rules that come along with a sak yant, as best as I can.

He said I could come by and he would talk to me face to face. He looked up my birthday on a zodiac and looked at some lines on my hands. He gave me a few different yants that would be a fit for me. I decided on 29 Yord.

I watched him make the needles and sterilize them with disinfectant and fire. He showed me the tattoo ink that he bought in Germany. He disinfected the skin on my back and drew the outline for the 29 Yord yant. I think the process took about 2.5 hours.

The actual tattoo was pretty painful. The pain would come in waves. At some points I hardly felt anything, other times I was in excruciating pain. lol, I think I went into trance at one point from the pain.

The healing process is really quick with a sak yant. 2 days and I was good to go. Even a few hours after the tattoo and I was 100% pain free. I trained the next day with no problems.

It looks incredible, it really does.

The scenery, the people and not to mention the food! I would love taking a trip down there at some point when I get the money. Seems like the life.

awesome sak yant. might check out the gym when I'm in Hua Hin next year.

Were there mostly people from sweden like most of the time?

Yes. Phet Ek is in Sweden teaching, so a lot of Swedes come to the gym. There were only 4 other people at the gym, 3 Swedes, an English chick, and me. My family is Danish, so I get along with Scandinavians pretty well :)

Excuse the ignorance but please explain the significance of the tatoo and why the guy was hesitant to do it

Awesome write up, thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm about to head down to Phuket from Bangkok, but now I wish I was going to Hua Hin.

Also nice sak yant...definitely more painful than a regular tattoo.

Back