Single leg or double leg in street situation

Luis22

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was thinking that the single leg takedown whatever way you finish it. Run the pipe or just slamming your opponent to the ground is better than a double leg in a street fight scenario.

Because in a double leg a lot of things could go wrong in a street fight. Get sprawled specially if the guy is bigger you and get pancaked. Faceplant your face, Get guillotined etc.

And even if you take the guy down you go down with him. Who knows the guy could be a BJJ black belt and break your freakin arm off.

Where in a single leg when you take a guy down you stay standing up and can continue to pound from standing up. And you can quickly disengage and run away after the takedown if there are multiple attackers.

Thoughts?

How are you shooting in for a single? If you are shooting in normal for a single you can get sprawled. If you are clinched up and try and lift the leg you can do it but again something can go wrong.

You can't just say I'm going to go for x. You need to vary up your attacks. Single leg, hip toss, uchi mata, outer reaps, inner reaps, baseball slides. You can't say I'm going with x take down.

That is like saying I'm only going to hit brabo chokes in street fights because chokes are the only way to finish the fight.

A judo guy or wrestler can answer better but that is my experience anyway.

I dunno what peoples fascination is with doing every single technique they've learned in a street fight...save your double legs and singles for wrestling a skilled opponent or for when the dude on the street just isn't going down

for the majority of unskilled geezers on the street all you need is a snap down to front head lock or body lock...even better try some judo...basically shit where you don't have to get your knee down

have you forgot about the hep c needles and landmines on the floor that all sherdoggers post about when talking about street self defence, don't forget john south could be coming at you with an 18 barrel shotgun so you need to get out there fast

How are you shooting in for a single? If you are shooting in normal for a single you can get sprawled. If you are clinched up and try and lift the leg you can do it but again something can go wrong.

You can't just say I'm going to go for x. You need to vary up your attacks. Single leg, hip toss, uchi mata, outer reaps, inner reaps, baseball slides. You can't say I'm going with x take down.

That is like saying I'm only going to hit brabo chokes in street fights because chokes are the only way to finish the fight.

A judo guy or wrestler can answer better but that is my experience anyway.

Thanks for the answer.

But I was just comparing the single legs efficiency against the double leg in a street situation. I'm sure plenty of takedowns work just as well.

Thanks for the answer.

But I was just comparing the single legs efficiency against the double leg in a street situation. I'm sure plenty of takedowns work just as well.

personally i'd rather go for a single, without a knee down shot and finish it by running the pipe

just a jab to change level, snag the leg and finish

Just PLEASE look out for lava and syringes once it hits the concrete.

personally i'd rather go for a single, without a knee down shot and finish it by running the pipe

just a jab to change level, snag the leg and finish

I agree. No need for the knee down shot especially on concrete.

Blast double... forehead in the chest, snatch both knees, don't follow him down.

Just pull guard and work some sweeps.. get all them points!

Whichever he gives you, single and double legs are appropriate techniques in different situations e.g. If he's standing feet level with his hands out I'd elbow-post and blast double him, if he's standing bladed with his right leg forward or I ducked under a step-in right hand then I'd probably high single him.

Last edited:
I dunno what peoples fascination is with doing every single technique they've learned in a street fight...save your double legs and singles for wrestling a skilled opponent or for when the dude on the street just isn't going down

for the majority of unskilled geezers on the street all you need is a snap down to front head lock or body lock...even better try some judo...basically shit where you don't have to get your knee down

have you forgot about the hep c needles and landmines on the floor that all sherdoggers post about when talking about street self defence, don't forget john south could be coming at you with an 18 barrel shotgun so you need to get out there fast

Or I might shoot underhooks and whip out a pocket knife...that would suck.

I don't like takedowns as a first resort in any serious situation, I'd want to soften him up first with a broken nose to avoid that kind of funny business.

Sure if uncle Ernie is getting a little out of hand at the family bar-b-que lol

Or I might shoot underhooks and whip out a pocket knife...that would suck.

I don't like takedowns as a first resort in any serious situation, I'd want to soften him up first with a broken nose to avoid that kind of funny business.

Sure if uncle Ernie is getting a little out of hand at the family bar-b-que lol

Yup because every encounter is dealt with deadly force.

Yup because every encounter is dealt with deadly force.

You never know what the guy has in his pockets, sometimes you have a pretty good idea but not always.

Sometimes people perceive they are losing the fight and go for a weapon, it's not so bad if you have control of his arms.

And the TS made a good point...

How DO you know the guy is not better on the ground than you? You don't, a lot of people train now.

What's with all the damn street fight topics?

Are guys living in a fantasy of getting on a wshh video?

Don't fight on the streets. You or they could die on accident.

You never know what the guy has in his pockets, sometimes you have a pretty good idea but not always.

Sometimes people perceive they are losing the fight and go for a weapon, it's not so bad if you have control of his arms.

And the TS made a good point...

How DO you know the guy is not better on the ground than you? You don't, a lot of people train now.

People that train generally don't mug people and pick fights. Most GOOD jiu jitsu practitioners are very cool people, not many douchebags reach a high level tbh.

People that train generally don't mug people and pick fights. Most GOOD jiu jitsu practitioners are very cool people, not many douchebags reach a high level tbh.

Yes there are no douchebags in bjj or MMA gyms or on this forum.

This is what you place your hopes on. lol

What's with all the damn street fight topics?

Are guys living in a fantasy of getting on a wshh video?

Don't fight on the streets. You or they could die on accident.

The fantasy is this idea that you have a choice. You literally cannot comprehend being forced to fight.

I almost feel sorry for some people today because life is so safe you have no understanding of danger. And when it does finally find you, you have no point of reference. You'll be like me the first time I was forced to fight someone twice my size when I was 8 or 9 years old so scared my arms couldn't move.

Surviving a life and death situation is also the biggest high ever, kind of spoils you for normal life.

The fantasy is this idea that you have a choice. You literally cannot comprehend being forced to fight.

I almost feel sorry for some people today because life is so safe you have no understanding of danger. And when it does finally find you, you have no point of reference. You'll be like me the first time I was forced to fight someone twice my size when I was 8 or 9 years old so scared my arms couldn't move.

Surviving a life and death situation is also the biggest high ever, kind of spoils you for normal life.

We get it.

You are a spartan badass raised from birth to be a warrior.

Back