single leg in mma

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
man i cant remember last time iv seen a good double leg shot in mma seems everyone nowadays first shoots for a outside single run the pipe then chains into a double if they dont go down edgar does this alot but you never get guys shooting doubles first

i find this funny chael sonnen saying this chael had a great double and i never saw him hit a single

" I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA. Whenever I teach it, I give a guy my leg. I get all my guys around, they're sitting down, they're watching me in the middle showing techniques. I give a guy my leg, and I ask the group, 'Does this guy have my leg?' and they all say yes. And I say, 'Well look again, does he have my leg?', and they yes, and I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' And that's where people start to understand, a single leg, you don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single."

umm... magomed bibulatov hit a clean double last night.

I am sincerely asking this... how many legitimate wrestlers have you worked on takedowns with? The single leg works. People hit doubles all the time. Chain wrestling is simply what happens as the skill level of both increases. The reason single legs happen more than doubles because it's easier to get one leg vs two, and conversely easier to finish a double than a single

im not saying singles dont work... i quoted chael saying he believes a single leg in mma is giving a guy both your hands i love singles but id take a double anyday due to control

Watch Chad Mendes for doubles. Nurmagomedov hit two really nice doubles vs Healy (not the pick up slam)

im not saying singles dont work... i quoted chael saying he believes a single leg in mma is giving a guy both your hands i love singles but id take a double anyday due to control
You did not answer my question

how many legit wrestlers have i worked with? well ka
You did not answer my question
kamal shalorus was my wrestling coach when i was in Austin. training with him and tim kennedy are the reasons i started to train my wrestling like crazy. I use to just be a boxer, and id pull guard and sub, but tim showed me at higher levels that wont work lol. I use to go to kamals place and it was alot of 1 on 1 work. he'd only have a max of like 3 people a class at times

how many legit wrestlers have i worked with? well ka

kamal shalorus was my wrestling coach when i was in Austin. training with him and tim kennedy are the reasons i started to train my wrestling like crazy. I use to just be a boxer, and id pull guard and sub, but tim showed me at higher levels that wont work lol. I use to go to kamals place and it was alot of 1 on 1 work. he'd only have a max of like 3 people a class at times
Find a college wrestling room or a high school with young coaches who wrestled in college. Pay for the trip and actually train with them.. a lot of the stuff you think will get educated

Find a college wrestling room or a high school with young coaches who wrestled in college. Pay for the trip and actually train with them.. a lot of the stuff you think will get educated
id love to tbh but missisisppi has no wrestling at all and alabama sucks so does louisania hopefully florida orlando might have good stuff

id love to tbh but missisisppi has no wrestling at all and alabama sucks so does louisania hopefully ucf has a big wrestling program for florida should i just call and ask the coach if he would let me practice with them?/QUOTE]

id love to tbh but missisisppi has no wrestling at all and alabama sucks so does louisania hopefully florida orlando might have good stuff
Like I said, if you really want to learn, be willing to invest, I'm well aware of the Souths deficiencies

I am sincerely asking this... how many legitimate wrestlers have you worked on takedowns with? The single leg works. People hit doubles all the time. Chain wrestling is simply what happens as the skill level of both increases. The reason single legs happen more than doubles because it's easier to get one leg vs two, and conversely easier to finish a double than a single

Stances matter a lot too. In opposite stance striking situations it can be very risky to take an angle for the double because it opens you up to their power (because you generally need to take the inside angle), whereas the single gives you what you wanted anyway which is to get to the outside safely.

I do think it's interesting to watch the distribution of high crotches vs. doubles though, because those tend to come out of the same kinds of setups but certain guys demonstrate a clear preference. Weidman, for example, loves the high crotch even though he frequently has some issues getting to good position against the crackdown.

Traditional high singles don't really happen anymore at high levels in ufc due to whizzers so I usually do head outside singles or if I do a high single I'll switch to a body lock as soon as I feel a whizzer or tree top

The doubles and singles in wrestling were meant for low center of gravity attacks since staggered and square stances are still pretty damn low. MMA is so upright that the single, IMO affords more follow-ups. An MMA double is 100% commited and requires a higher degree of athleticism, IMO. GSP's is a great example of someone who put in work.

i find this funny chael sonnen saying this chael had a great double and i never saw him hit a single

" I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA. Whenever I teach it, I give a guy my leg. I get all my guys around, they're sitting down, they're watching me in the middle showing techniques. I give a guy my leg, and I ask the group, 'Does this guy have my leg?' and they all say yes. And I say, 'Well look again, does he have my leg?', and they yes, and I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' And that's where people start to understand, a single leg, you don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single."

There's that, and then there is Demian Maia.

Traditional high singles don't really happen anymore at high levels in ufc due to whizzers so I usually do head outside singles or if I do a high single I'll switch to a body lock as soon as I feel a whizzer or tree top

I don't know if it's strictly because of whizzers or the threat of getting struck, drop-kicked while being whizzered since whizzes by themselves are used a billion times in folk wrestling.

Or you can weave the strikes into the doubles like TJ Dillishaw or Weidman

Back