since ben askren talks alot of s---- about ufc fighters lately, watch this fight

the luis santos fight shows that he isnt invincible and a imaginary ufc top fighter "crusher".

the Santos fight showed Askren is human and he no doubt learned from it...just like the Serra fight showed GSP is human and he learned from that too.

this idea that an A-level fighter must ALWAYS appear unbeatable is a ridiculous expectation.

I think people are annoyed with his shit talking and acting like any fight he's in is a superfight. I personally would have liked to see him in the UFC, but not anymore. that boat sailed and i'm happier to see him get blackballed. He'll always be left to wonder what could have been

sure...but if he was some quiet, polite guy, then wouldn't the criticism of him extend from having a 'boring' style to also having no personality? like it or not, the squeaky wheel tends to get the grease...tooting your own horn and talking smack seem to be a near-necessities in today's UFC.

I'm not defending Askren's choices...and it was ridiculous to think he deserved an immediate shot at GSP. Lombard was FAR more accomplished than Askren when he moved over and he didn't getting an immediate shot at Silva.

His "overall record of accomplishments" is that he has beaten ZERO elite fighters.

His overall record of accomplishments place him above the vast majority of fighters in his division. Few guys have Askren's wrestling pedigree, and going undefeated in almost 20 MMA fights doesn't count for nothing, even if it largely came against lower tier talent.

How many "elite fighters" did Khabib beat in his first 15 or so matches? did that stop him from getting into the UFC?

don't act like Askren has beaten 'no one'...Lima is almost certainly a top 10 talent if he were in the UFC, and I would argue that Koreshkov likely cracks the top 10 too (USADA notwithstanding lol).

Askren is undeniably unproven against top-tier talent, but no one here is seriously claiming he is the GOAT...it is just that being 'unproven' hasn't stopped countless other fighters from at least getting into the UFC.

If Dana really hates Askren that much, why not get him in the UFC? Against a vicious striker with good takedown defence ( Lawler ) or Oliveira even, he would take that fight no doubt. Then we would know real quick if he's UFC caliber. Dana is either scared the guy is that good and becomes champions, or Askren is asking McGregorMoney just to not get signed. If I was Dana and hated the guy I would send him to the wolfs right off the bat just for the giggle.

Meh... Welterweight Luis Santos in an unregulated environment is analogous to heavyweight Ubereem when he was really on the juice

Why the fuck would anybody voluntarily watch a Ben Askren fight? The only logical reason would be for insomnia.

I understand what you’re saying but sometimes it’s not about opponents but about dominance. Look at Fedor he never beat a top heavyweight in a sanctioned mma fight. That forms take away from Fedor being an all time top 20 mma heavyweight.

Why the fuck would anybody voluntarily watch a Ben Askren fight? The only logical reason would be for insomnia.

THis meme needs to die already

0Zxr3pM.png

Maybe you just like stand & brawl and that's okay, but may I suggest muay thai or kickboxing instead of MMA?

so you cherry picked one example to support your claim that Askren is an 'overrated joke', despite his overall record of accomplishments, and the respect that he has in MMA and wrestling circles from his peers?

good luck with that.

It’s the best example he can provide to illustrate his point. Why would he pick a lesser example? That doesn’t make sense.

There is literally no way he beats Lima in 2018. If Rory gets his ass beat Askren is getting his ass beat too.

Nate Diaz has zero chin. Josh Thomson knocked him the fuck out with a leg kick to the dome. It got so bad that his brother Nick threw the towel lololol.

<26>
Josh Thompson is world class and hit him numerous times flush for an eventual tko. Nice try but chubby askren looked like a fool against a low level dude

I wouldn’t pick Askren over any top WW. Someone explain to me how he beats woodley, gsp, Thompson, Maia, rda, lawler, Lima or even shields?

His overall record of accomplishments place him above the vast majority of fighters in his division. Few guys have Askren's wrestling pedigree, and going undefeated in almost 20 MMA fights doesn't count for nothing, even if it largely came against lower tier talent.

How many "elite fighters" did Khabib beat in his first 15 or so matches? did that stop him from getting into the UFC?

don't act like Askren has beaten 'no one'...Lima is almost certainly a top 10 talent if he were in the UFC, and I would argue that Koreshkov likely cracks the top 10 too (USADA notwithstanding lol).

Askren is undeniably unproven against top-tier talent, but no one here is seriously claiming he is the GOAT...it is just that being 'unproven' hasn't stopped countless other fighters from at least getting into the UFC.

I won't argue with much of what you wrote, but Lima is vastly improved since then. I would pick Lima in a rematch.

Also I don't think I would place Koreshkov in the UFC top 10, and his fight with Askren was 5 years ago when he was 22 and Askren was 29.

Back