Simple weight lifting questions

closequarters

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have injuries so I can just hit the weights and do body parts that I can do right? I have bad shoulders (rotator cuff impingements and ac joint separations on both sides). Even lightweights and body weight push / pull exercises leave me sore for days.

Core and lower body is fine so, for grappling purposes, I should be hitting legs and core still. Use straps and try to dead lift what I can (as heavy as my arms / shoulders allow of course).

Simple right? But for some reason when I can't workout my full body I feel like not working out at all, as if there will be an imbalance. I think rolling 3 to 4 nights a week with all the push / pull / gripping involved is good enough to keep a semi balanced frame and should be better than no weights at all.

Any issues anyone can think of that only lifting weights for lower body and core, skipping upper body (chest, back, arms, traps, etc...) may cause. Can an imbalance cause any weird movement limitations or more importantly cause physical imbalance changes?

Thanks in advance!

In general i would say no, as lower body is generally more essential to whole body movement. Pulling and bridging to get a straiter upper back shoulders back posture vs hunched in kyphosis is also vital though. If you've got problem areas its even more important to target them at whatever level you can start with to get the stress-adaptation process started.

Also teh gluteus maximus is the most impactful muscle in the whole skellington system (and also the first to start atrophying with age).

Can never have too much glute day.

http://www.westminsterstrength.com/...oaches-who-taught-an-88-year-old-to-deadlift/

Last edited:
To your second paragraph, I actually think only training grappling could be bad for muscle balance and posture and such, especially if you play a lot of guard

Back