Similarities between Thai's and African American fighters?

Southeast Asians. Not Asians. Lets make that clear.

Now your getting defensive. I'm not saying any race in genetically superior. I'm just pointing out certain differences. Did you not see the part where I was talking about the power of Russians. Your an idiot if you think genetics doesn't play a role in sports. I'm sorry if it hurts your feeling but it does!

I could use hundreds of more examples if you want about fighters of the same race fighting similar. Its not hard to see.

Now your getting defensive. It was just an example bro. This is the problem with writing threads like this. Feelings get hurt and we cant just have a mature conversation.

That's exactly why I used Somjit Jongjohor who's a boxer. Not a muaythai fighter. I get that slickness comes with experience but not all the time. Your still going to have MuangThai's and Yodwicha's. But I just felt like Thai fighters even Thai's I've seen out in Thailand who haven't been competing for long have a certain rhythm to the way they fight and that doesn't mean there better than any other race. Thai's dont have the type of power as some eastern Europeans. I think their just better in the speed and movement department.
I think Somjit may actually have been a muay thai fighter. On the Songchai 'hero's of the olympics' dvd they have a fighter called Silachai Wor Preecha fighting Pairojnoi Sor. Siamchai and I believe Silachai is supposed to be Somjit. And according to his wikipedia that was his fight name, in muay thai.

See 24:42

There is no denying that genes play an imperative role in athleticism, coordination and strength. Why is 74.4% of the NBA black or 68.7% of the NFL black? Why is it that west African descent athletes dominate in the 100 meter sprint? Surely this cannot be accounted for solely by nutrition or training.
New Zealand Samoans and polynesians tend to be genetically huge and strong. Quote from 60 mins documentary

"It is estimated that a boy born to Samoan parents is 56 times more likely to get into the NFL than any other kid in America"

So are the samoans/polynesians the only children training harder then other boys and have better nutrition or is it their genetics that give them this advantage? Truth is different races/ethnic groups all have unique attributes and abilities that cause them to excel in particular areas areas

Last edited:
Simone Manuel first african-american to ever win gold in an individual swimming event.....so how come blacks that excell so much in other sports are not good swimmers?oh well......
before the civil was more blacks than whites could swim,in modern era;70% of blacks vs 40% of whites can't swim. The reasons stem from financial limitations to fear and cultural factors.
During the slave trade there are many episodes of africans saving whites from drowning but upon arriving in the plantation locations a black slave who could swim was a slave who had more freedom to escape so they were forbidden to.
for generations blacks just like other minorities were excluded from public swimmpools and had no access to beaches as a result we have entire minorities who never learned to swim.

this is the famous pic where the hotel manager drops acid in the pool "contaminated" by blacks.

the same goes with plenty of other disciplines,from classical ballet to skating,from free climbing to motorbike or f1.

a good genetic pool plays an undeniable role when it comes to athleticism if combined with favorable conditions and the right training regime.

And Somjit didn't have a large amount of Muaythai fights including main stadium ones before?
Do you know what exactly Somjit's main accomplishments were in muay thai. He must of been pretty decent if he shared the ring with Pairojnoi, who was a good fighter.

is-this-real-life.jpg

I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. There are some fairly clear correlations between race and athletics, e.g. West Africans being over-represented in sprinting, Northern Europeans being over-represented in strongman contests, Samoans being 50x over-represented in NFL, etc. But these things tend to stick out in sports without many variables. In fight sports there are a plethora of variables that largely negate all of these advantages. In fight sports the main factors are culture and economics. I doubt fighters from Isaan are very genetically different from others in Thailand, yet the economic factors mean the Isaan fighters are over-represented. I doubt Dagestanis are very genetically distinct from their neighbours, yet economics means they are over-represented. etc.

Wth is this thread

It is mainly poverty that causes most
muay thai fighters to be from North Eastern region just like how factory workers/maids in Thailand tend to come from that region.
(Or yeah prostitutes/child labors etc aka the most marginalized group)

You go look at other Thai athletes in a more "middleclass" sport like Thai taekwando team and you can see many more lighter skin athletes.

I could use hundreds of more examples if you want about fighters of the same race fighting similar. Its not hard to see.

Could be the fact, that most thai gyms train very similary and emphasize the same values.

That's exactly why I used Somjit Jongjohor who's a boxer. Not a muaythai fighter. I get that slickness comes with experience but not all the time. Your still going to have MuangThai's and Yodwicha's. But I just felt like Thai fighters even Thai's I've seen out in Thailand who haven't been competing for long have a certain rhythm to the way they fight and that doesn't mean there better than any other race. Thai's dont have the type of power as some eastern Europeans. I think their just better in the speed and movement department.

You're not getting very far with the thais in boxing comparison. Most sucessful thais in pro boxing moved like zombies and were known for their chins and power. Speed, movement and slickness are the last things that come to mind, when I think about the thai pro boxing scene in any point of time.

Now your getting defensive. It was just an example bro. This is the problem with writing threads like this. Feelings get hurt and we cant just have a mature conversation

That's not a mature conversation. You're not bringing in any facts.

I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. There are some fairly clear correlations between race and athletics, e.g. West Africans being over-represented in sprinting, Northern Europeans being over-represented in strongman contests, Samoans being 50x over-represented in NFL, etc. But these things tend to stick out in sports without many variables. In fight sports there are a plethora of variables that largely negate all of these advantages. In fight sports the main factors are culture and economics. I doubt fighters from Isaan are very genetically different from others in Thailand, yet the economic factors mean the Isaan fighters are over-represented. I doubt Dagestanis are very genetically distinct from their neighbours, yet economics means they are over-represented. etc.

Very good explanation. Only thing I disagree with is that Isaan people are the same genetically as other parts of thailand

here's a genetic map showing genetic differences by region

dark blue = Malay
Yellow = thai/dai
brown= chinese/east asian
light blue = khmer/austro asiatic

journal.pone.0079522.g004.png

Last edited:
Not sure where this thread is heading. All I wanted to know is if people see the same similarities that I sometimes see between black boxers and Thai boxers/muaythai fighters based off the way they move and fight in the ring. This is not a one race is better than another thread. Why are people talking about Samoans and Europeans? People are forgetting the point of this thread.

You can say "its because they've had hundreds of fights". I don't think its that simple. I've trained beside a Thai's with only 20 fights but still moved in a specific way. If you don't agree with me than fair enough. Maybe I'm just imagining all of this.

If people don't think race plays an important role with a fighters style their an idiot in denial. Listen to Bob Arum:

I do agree with you that Thai's and Blacks have a similar rhythm in the ring. Some guys are born with heavy hands (eastern europeans) and some guys are born with speed and reflexes (Black/filipino boxers and Thai's) no matter how experienced a fighter is.

Not sure where this thread is heading. All I wanted to know is if people see the same similarities that I sometimes see between black boxers and Thai boxers/muaythai fighters based off the way they move and fight in the ring. This is not a one race is better than another thread. Why are people talking about Samoans and Europeans? People are forgetting the point of this thread.

You can say "its because they've had hundreds of fights". I don't think its that simple. I've trained beside a Thai's with only 20 fights but still moved in a specific way. If you don't agree with me than fair enough. Maybe I'm just imagining all of this.

people are reporting examples of specific populations in relation to specific activities,and for the most part are saying that more than genetics it's about a common social background,it's not off topic.

it's also about how much they were exposed to a certain sport/activity,god forbids an average italian kid starting muay thai at 7 or 8...you might end up in trouble if they fall from their bikes without the helmet on.
thai kids have been exposed to mt since they are born and have a completely different attitude towards the sport (and pain).

The thai system and scene is so far ahead of everything else out there that you can't really come to a conclusion on this. If there was another country that had anything comparable and the thais still dominated in the way that they do then there would be an argument.

If people don't think race plays an important role with a fighters style their an idiot in denial. Listen to Bob Arum:

I do agree with you that Thai's and Blacks have a similar rhythm in the ring. Some guys are born with heavy hands (eastern europeans) and some guys are born with speed and reflexes (Black/filipino boxers and Thai's) no matter how experienced a fighter is.

The people that you call "blacks" is the most genetically diverse in the world, even more diverse than all the peoples from the whole eurasia + americas. Reducing them to one single group based on a few similar visible factors is dumb and racist.

I'm not going to deny that fighting styles are correlated to genetics and ethnicity and might differ from one to another. With that said i don't agree, i don't see similarities between thai fighters and afro american fighters. Even if you watch thais that compete in western boxing, they fight differently from afroamerican boxers.

I haven't seen enough afroamerican nak muays to be able to make a comparison.

The people that you call "blacks" is the most genetically diverse in the world, even more diverse than all the peoples from the whole eurasia + americas. Reducing them to one single group based on a few similar visible factors is dumb and racist.

I think it was a little stupid of him to put all black people in one category but not racist. We're talking about African Americans who come from a certain part of Africa. West Africans which is where the European/American slave trade was based. African Americans, Brazilians, Cubans and Jamaicans all come from around the same part of Africa.

I think it was a little stupid of him to put all black people in one category but not racist. We're talking about African Americans who come from a certain part of Africa. West Africans which is where the European/American slave trade was based. African Americans, Brazilians, Cubans and Jamaicans all come from around the same part of Africa.
Afroamerican is more specific, and why i didnt question it your original post (altough its a stupid post).

But yeah still, i dont see any significant similarities specifically betweem afroamericans and thais. These similarities are too general and can be applied to fighters from any background.

It's easier to talk about differences in general than similarities between 2 specific groups. For example many surinamese-dutch kickboxers seem to be able to throw knees exceptionally high because of their body type.

I don't buy the whole one race better than the other in a particular combat sport or fighting trait. (Replying to Enriko Davidson)

Even in Thailand you get a mixed of slick fighters and brutal brawlers from different/same regions.
It is not like becacause you have malay blood you will be more cerebral or because you are khmer descent you will be tougher.

It is like saying Thai people are innate muay thai fighters when we know 99% of Thai can't even kick properly.

I don't buy the whole one race better than the other in a particular combat sport or fighting trait. (Replying to Enriko Davidson)

Even in Thailand you get a mixed of slick fighters and brutal brawlers from different/same regions.
It is not like becacause you have malay blood you will be more cerebral or because you are khmer descent you will be tougher.

It is like saying Thai people are innate muay thai fighters when we know 99% of Thai can't even kick properly.
Yeah it all comes down to individual abilities. The best fighters are not necessarily the most athletic fighters.

Back