Silva and bones picture, side to side (both are in shape)

Jones is bigger and will probably win but who cares just have them fight.

They are obviously different sizes, look at how much taller and muscular Jones is than Silva. Jones vs. Silva would be great, but it won't happen.

Wow, everybody is seeing different things. I wonder why there's such a big gap in perception. Are you all biased? Yes.

Bones is clearly the larger man, I'd still love to see the fight because Anderson is widely considered the p4p GOAT.

A good way for a fighter to cement p4p credentials is to take on larger men.

To deny the weight advantage for one fighter is just silly though.

Height doesn't = size though, and while I think Anderson is the greatest (so far), I don't see him stuffing all of Bones' takedowns and you really don't want to have Bones in your guard, black belt or not.

So it's dumb for me to say Jones will outwrestle Anderson, when he's outwrestled EVERYONE he's fought (easily), and he badly outwrestled a guy who badly outwrestled Anderson. That's dumb and meaningless huh?

I think most people would agree that Jones and his camp are pretty smart. Anderson is great on his feet. Do you really think Jones would choose to not take Anderson down, when he easily can, and instead stand and trade with Anderson when that is EXACTLY what Anderson wants? Of course he's not gonna do that. That means he will take Anderson down.

You are so remedial. Yes. It is dumb and meaningless.

Why did he decide to wrestle Sonnen then, when, if he always does what's obvious?

Sonnen has better wrestling credentials than Jones, and Jones's striking is astronomically better (he's outstruck everyone he's fought too), so I'm sure Jones and his camp probably thought it was a good idea to keep that fight out of the grappling realm, and work strikes from the outside. Right? Except that's not at all what happened. Jones and his smart camp said "screw that" and decided to wrestle the wrestler. Are you telling me you can say with absolute certainty that Jones will not say "screw that" again, and decide to stand with Silva? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. And that's dumb. But maybe you're right. Maybe Jones would never decide to fight standing with a superior striker. I mean, ever again. After standing with Machida.

Again, and slowly: nobody. is. saying. that. Jones. CAN'T. outwrestle. Anderson. Silva. What. we. are. saying. is. that. that. doesn't. mean. that. he. necessarily. will.

Of course Jones is bigger, but Anderson is closer to Jones' size than most of his opponents.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT?

every 205er Jones has fought is bigger than Anderson.

rampage
bader
lyoto
rashad
bonnar

etc

Why did he decide to wrestle Sonnen then, when, if he always does what's obvious?
I think they explained they didn't want to let Sonnen dictate the fight, because that's what Sonnen does very well. Also, Jones was obviously very confident he could outwrestle Chael, and he was right.

Sonnen has better wrestling credentials than Jones, and Jones's striking is astronomically better (he's outstruck everyone he's fought too), so I'm sure Jones and his camp probably thought it was a good idea to keep that fight out of the grappling realm, and work strikes from the outside. Right?
No, and the reason for this is if Jones keeps him at range and strikes, Chael has a better chance of timing a takedown and putting Jones on his back. Forcing the grappling on his own terms prevented that from happening.

Are you telling me you can say with absolute certainty that Jones will not say "screw that" again, and decide to stand with Silva? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. And that's dumb.
Can't say anything with absolute certainty. But I would say there is an over 90% chance Jones uses his wrestling in this fight. I think that is a VERY safe estimate. That means it is VERY likely.

But maybe you're right. Maybe Jones would never decide to fight standing with a superior striker. I mean, ever again. After standing with Machida.
You do realize he smoked Machida standing right? That just luck?

Again, and slowly: nobody. is. saying. that. Jones. CAN'T. outwrestle. Anderson. Silva. What. we. are. saying. is. that. that. doesn't. mean. that. he. necessarily. will.
I'm an odds guy. If there's a 95% chance it's going to be sunny, I'm not bringing an umbrella. A lot of people on here like to argue these remote possibilities. Sure it's POSSIBLE Jones will stand and trade with Anderson, but it is HIGHLY unlikely, therefore I (and anyone who knows anything about probability) will assume that Jones will use his wrestling.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT?

every 205er Jones has fought is bigger than Anderson.

rampage
bader
lyoto
rashad
bonnar

etc
I'm talking frame and length, not necessarily muscle mass. Anderson has a bigger frame and is longer than Chael, Vitor, Rashad, Bader, Hamill, Vlad, Machida, Shogun, etc.

You are so remedial. Yes. It is dumb and meaningless.

Sonnen has better wrestling credentials than Jones,
and Jones's striking is astronomically better (he's outstruck everyone he's fought too), so I'm sure Jones and his camp probably thought it was a good idea to keep that fight out of the grappling realm, and work strikes from the outside. Right? Except that's not at all what happened. Jones and his smart camp said "screw that" and decided to wrestle the wrestler. Are you telling me you can say with absolute certainty that Jones will not say "screw that" again, and decide to stand with Silva? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. And that's dumb. But maybe you're right. Maybe Jones would never decide to fight standing with a superior striker. I mean, ever again. After standing with Machida.

Jones took Sonnen down because he thought that he was a better wrestler based accomplishments in MMA. Jones has dominated several wrestlers at LHW, many of whom had much better amateur credentials than he did. Sonnen also posed very little threat outside of the take down. The worst case scenario for Jones was that he got put on his back for a few moments.

To extrapolate from this that Jones will try to kickbox and throw spinning elbows at Silva, who is capable of ending the fight at any time on the feet, is pure idiocy.

I'm talking frame and length, not necessarily muscle mass. Anderson has a bigger frame and is longer than Chael, Vitor, Rashad, Bader, Hamill, Vlad, Machida, Shogun, etc.

All of this harping about a fighter's frame (physical dimensions) without regard to mass is just as meaningless as the talk about "walkaround weight." Corey Hill has a bigger frame than many HWs. What exactly does that do for him?

I so want that fight between Silva and Jones, the hell with GSP fighting SIlva, I want Jones.

All of this harping about a fighter's frame (physical dimensions) without regard to mass is just as meaningless as the talk about "walkaround weight." Corey Hill has a bigger frame than many HWs. What exactly does that do for him?
I've never really seen Anderson look outsized (Jones would be the first time). He uses his reach extremely well, and he's stronger than he looks (in terms of muscularity). That's why it's relevant here.

I so want that fight between Silva and Jones, the hell with GSP fighting SIlva, I want Jones.

GSP is by far the biggest draw in UFC history and the longest reigning champ next to Silva. He and Silva need to fight first. That is the biggest money fight by far. After that then Silva/Jones.

Oh my God! Look how much smaller Anderson is! A natural welterweight vs. a huge LHW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back