Silly question, I know: what technicaly qualifies as a take down?

weakandweary

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sometimes a fighter will attempt a take down, struggle a while, fighting for position to do so. Then they'll be able to "pick up" a fighter briefly and bring them down, but ever so briefly and the other fighter pops right back up - barely being downed.

Sometimes a fighter will drag a fighter down laterally causing the defending fighter to take a knee briefly before popping back up.

Etc etc.

My question is, at what point is a fighter "taken down"? Does it have to do with what part of the body touches the mat? Is it about duration? Does a "lift up slam down" motion count or does it always have to a a "clasp and drive to the mat" type of thing?

Thanks for your comments.

I don't know. I certainly wouldn't count it if they never maintained top control for a few seconds, unless maybe it was a high impact throw

Sometimes a fighter will attempt a take down, struggle a while, fighting for position to do so. Then they'll be able to "pick up" a fighter briefly and bring them down, but ever so briefly and the other fighter pops right back up - barely being downed.

Sometimes a fighter will drag a fighter down laterally causing the defending fighter to take a knee briefly before popping back up.

Etc etc.

My question is, at what point is a fighter "taken down"? Does it have to do with what part of the body touches the mat? Is it about duration? Does a "lift up slam down" motion count or does it always have to a a "clasp and drive to the mat" type of thing?

Thanks for your comments.
Depends on who you ask. It's like the two feet or one knee rule in football. Once your butt or back touches the canvas, it counts as a takedown. If you take a your opponent and they manage to pop back up, it still counts as a takedown.

I think takedowns carry alot of weight (as in points) but it's what you do with it afterwards.

I dunno, I'm no MMA expert.

I don't know. I certainly wouldn't count it if they never maintained top control for a few seconds, unless maybe it was a high impact throw

This.

Gotta MAINTAIN control, and at least DO something for a few seconds, for it to really count. lol

If fighter A ends up on His Back with fighter B on top... It's a Takedown

Even if that only last 3 sec

I don't think a takedown is defined in MMA. It is in wrestling because of the scoring. It seems unnecessary to define it under the 10 point must system and the vague "effective grappling" of the unified rules.

If fighter A ends up on His Back with fighter B on top... It's a Takedown

Even if that only last 3 sec

Yeah, but that's kinda my point. Is it 3 sec? 2 sec? 7 sec? etc...

There seems to be a lot of subjectivity there. And maybe the answer is "it's subjective to the judge, who's watching, etc"

I'm just wondering if there's any standard, accepted criteria to decide on officially calling something a take down.

Thank you.

I don't think a takedown is defined in MMA. It is in wrestling because of the scoring. It seems unnecessary to define it under the 10 point must system and the vague "effective grappling" of the unified rules.

It's not necessary to define it in terms of who wins and loses.

But when stats are quoted like "Fighter X has the best take down defense" or "Fighter Y defends 80% of take down attempts"...how is that being measured?!

They should follow the wrestling rules for takedowns. Whoever has top control gets the takedown, its a scramble until someone has the obvious top control. It shouldnt count if someone pulls guard.

Ass + shoulders on the mat = takedown.

Does pulling guard count as a takedown?

A takedown should only count for what you do with it

If someone takes you down briefly and you pop back up and there's no damage, I don't see what it really counts for

Back