Sidekick

depaters

White Belt
Reaction score
In the recent UFN fight between Evans and Salmon, on the commentary Randy Couture points out that Salmon looked like he was about to execute a sidekick. Having trained in a classic striking art for a couple of years, about the same amount of time I have been following MMA, I can't understand why more fighters don't utilise this kick.

The sidekick normally comes from the front leg and thus can be executed very quicky, more so than a turning kick or so called HK. It can be used up close and when doing so it is hard for the opponent to see, may be below line of vision. Performed correctly it should also be powerful and snapped back very quickly, countering the arguement that you are leaving it out there for a submission.

Your thoughts greatly received.

Very well, said. The sidekick is a very good kick but i think the reason that a lot of MMA fighter don't use it is because they don't train it enough and the stance you have to take.

i could see the lead leg sidekick being used in mma. Shonie carter does, as does cung le. If you train it enough it can pack a wallop and be a good deterent. Id watch out for guys with good low kicks though. I do think a sidekick to the thigh would be a good weapon...

Very underutalized kick. Would be very effective if someone uses it in mma.

depaters said:
In the recent UFN fight between Evans and Salmon, on the commentary Randy Couture points out that Salmon looked like he was about to execute a sidekick. Having trained in a classic striking art for a couple of years, about the same amount of time I have been following MMA, I can't understand why more fighters don't utilise this kick.

The sidekick normally comes from the front leg and thus can be executed very quicky, more so than a turning kick or so called HK. It can be used up close and when doing so it is hard for the opponent to see, may be below line of vision. Performed correctly it should also be powerful and snapped back very quickly, countering the arguement that you are leaving it out there for a submission.

Your thoughts greatly received.

It's a fine kick, but there are better options as a rule. A standard teep serves better for most times where you need a linear kick, and if trained equally (as often), is faster and less-likely to get caught.

I use side-kicks sometimes, but only in two situations:

1) When coming from a full or partial turn. Like if I'm half-turned after a scramble and the guy is in the right range - the side-kick works well (most people call it a back-kick in that context, but I disagree). The side-kick is a good way to finish turning around. I don't care for it as a kick when starting from a squared position, as I am turning away to throw it - and I never want to be moving into a worse standing position than I already have.

2) When I am close to the opponent, and I want to get him the hell away from me - particularly if he is head-hunting (not paying attention to my legs). I also use it when I'm chasing my opponent and he is back-pedaling - it is a good kick to start inside and really shove the opponent into the ropes.

I use a teep in the same way (as example #2), really... I think people think both these kicks are good for throwing from extended range - and I tend to disagree... these are close range techniques for me.

i think it'd be easier to catch or would leave you open for takedowns after the blow did land, i'm not sure though i don't train side kicks or front kicks because they're awkward for me to even attempt and they haven't seemed effective in mma competition outside of jeff newton, i like the spinning back kick a lot though, that seems to work sometimes esp. when someone is trying to close the distance boxing

Because it s a tough kick to throw properly.Teh TKD sidekick with the toes pointing down is very difficult to master and requires alot fo flexibility and practice. A round kick is much easier to learn. Also A sidekick is most easily thrown form a sideways stance with the lead leg(rear-leg sidekicks are MUCH harder) and most people in MMA dont use or transition to a side stance because its difficult to punch form and exposes the lead leg to low kicks.

You guys raise some real good points, the big one of which I think is the stance. MMA stance does not perhaps lend itself that well to say a classic TKD sidekick.

There is also the element of technique which I agree with too, as it is a very hard kick to execute well and takes much practice. Thats not to say MMA athletes do not work on or have good technique. Also requires good flexibility.

Another possibility is the energy it uses up. To consistently throw sidekicks up towards the head is very tiring and unlike with turning kick you are not really using any momentum to generate additional power, only core and leg muscles.

A few names popped up in the thread and yes these are some of the few guys who do execute sidekicks. Cung Le is a good example and it will be interesting to see how his MMA career progresses given his unique style. As the caliber of opponents he faces increases I guess this could provide the acid test for the sidekick in MMA. Watch this space.

N.B.
A nod towards the greatest ever exponent of the sidekick, Bruce Lee. I am sure anyone who has seen his films or footage of the great man will agree.

I use the side kick, but kinda like a side-push kick. If I;m throwing lead leg kicks and my opponent is checking them, then I may start with a lead leg round, stop half way, turn my hips and re-direct the kick to the stomach. I started doing it to my trainer, because that's the only way I can hit the slippery bastard. :)

I use the side kick. Not often but i do use it. It comes from my TKD background. You are right about alot of people pretty much just using round kicks and thrust kicks. In my opinion everyone should try to have as big of an arsenal(sp?) of strikes as possible. Strikes coming from every and any angle. Changing from one strike to another mid move with ease.

the reason we dont see it, is because any fighter with experience can see it coming a mile away. there is no way not to telegraph the kick.besides all you have to do to defend it is step aside.its too risky, and not a high percentage strike.why waste your energy on a telegraphed move with little chance of sucess.

i use it, not much just when a fighter ahs his side to me but it is quite devastating, i might use it a bit more now

any move can be telegraphed when not performed properly. It is all about technique and how well you use it.

The stance from which you throw a side kick leaves you vulnerable to a leg kick. Also, not too many people can throw it without telegraphing it. These are a couple of reasons you don't see it more.

I throw side kicks after missed roundhouses, since you're in a good position to throw it then.

any move can be telegraphed when not performed properly. It is all about technique and how well you use it.
like i said some moves are always telegraphed no matter how much technique or set up you put into it.PERIOD!

eljabo said:
like i said some moves are always telegraphed no matter how much technique or set up you put into it.PERIOD!

hahaha.

the side kick is underutilized. you can throw it off a front kick (tkd) which no one can see any better than a front kick. that way you use it off a front stance. you can throw it off a side stance by itself or off a missed round house (mentioned). you can also throw it with the lead leg tkd style or bruce lee style (skipping forward or sideways). theres a ton of options and the reason it isnt used is because it isnt developed. it can be thrown from a square stance OR a side stance. its not telegraphed if its thrown right, and if you use the side stance, you use it when they cant defend it. trust me the side kick will have its day.

the stance is one reason and the time ity takes to learn a proper sidekick is the other reason that many do not use it.

Not to hijack the thread, but why don't more people throw the front kick straight to the chin? The only fighter I've seen do this is Bas Rutten in a couple of his fights. Much like the uppercut, it's absolutely great to use on an opponent who ducks down whenever he covers up and it can put a guy to sleep instantly.

The best way to set up the side kick I've found is with a switch step. After you switch step at a 45° angle, the oponent is expecting a roundhouse kick and you are already turned to the side, so you have a window for the side kick.

I think it's pretty hard to avoid a side kick by stepping to the side. Usually people will move instinctively move back to lessen the impact, so you're not in such big danger of a counter.

Of course you have to mix it up with other kicks so it's not too telegraphed.

I would think a side stance would leave you vulnerable for takedowns.

Back