Side Plank Variation (Video)

AcumenAthletics

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
After pulling my groin a while back. I've been researching and utilizing different exercises. Here's one of my favorites that I use to target abdominal strength and stability. It's the lateral plank with row and for an added variation; hip flexion.
  1. Make sure you are laying in a straight line.
  2. Lock your forearm underneath your shoulder in a stable position.
  3. Stacked on top of each other.
  4. Keep your neck and spine in a straight line.
  5. Contract your glutes, abs, and quads.
  6. Row without twisting your spine.
  7. In a control manner, slide your knee.
Give this exercise a try and leave me a comment with your experience.

Best to your training,

Danny Millet

You can read more Here

awesome ill try that my side -abs have been weak as fuck for years ... the more creativity the better...
one hour later edited: i just tried it out ..its awesome... i wish my physical therapist had thought of that

Last edited:
ooooooooooooooo he is bringing up his knee at the same time no wonder i dont feel the full sensation

I feel like the side plank isn't too kind to my shoulder socket.

What I always really enjoy as a finisher is a cable bar chop, and I will now invite ridicule by posting a video of Naudi Aguilar by way of illustration.

I prefer to face forward, keep my feet planted and hold the cable bar underhand when I do it, though, so my ROM is more limited.

Last edited:
I feel like the side plank isn't too kind to my shoulder socket.

What I always really enjoy as a finisher is a cable bar chop, and I will now invite ridicule by posting a video of Naudi Aguilar by way of illustration.

I prefer keep my feet planted and hold the cable bar underhand when I do it, though, meaning my ROM is more limited.

That looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't have that equipment. So I have to improvise with bands. Pallof presses are another good variation as well.

That looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't have that equipment. So I have to improvise with bands. Pallof presses are another good variation as well.

Pallof press not a bad substitute at all. My gym doesn't have exactly the same equipment as in the video I posted either, but we have a couple of these:

Does the job just as well.

Back