Shoyoroll Rio Koi Pre-Sale

hmm got mine in the mail today. Super light top. Lighter than any Gi I own. would be nice for comps. only thing is I'm pretty sure it fits a tad to small for me. I might sell it to my instructor as he told me he was interested. I still cant believe how light it is compared to my goldweave, single and double I own. I wonder how it would hold up for training on a regular basis.

It's thicker than the yank which I have competed in and trained in regularly since its release with zero issue.

It's thicker than the yank which I have competed in and trained in regularly since its release with zero issue.

You think so? The pants definitely are thinker (yanks pants are some of the lightest I've felt) but the jacket feels lighter than it to me. That tech weave is some light stuff.

You think so? The pants definitely are thinker (yanks pants are some of the lightest I've felt) but the jacket feels lighter than it to me. That tech weave is some light stuff.

I agree, the Rio seems liter to me also, but that tech weave seems to stretch when wet!

first impressions ----

The thing is way too big, or the manufacturer screwed up the sizing. Outof the bag my A2 (5'10 185) felt like an A3. Super baggy torso, and long sleeves almost past my knuckles (they are also wide, almost like a judo gi). I went into super shrink mode befoer i went to training, and got it down to a reasonable a2 size. fast forward to the training...i live in philadelphia and my gym doesnt have AC, so it gets hot, and this gi was great as it wasnt too thick or heavy. That being said, after doing some judo and live rolling, and getting this thing nice and sweaty, it strecthed out to "kid wearing dads coat" proportions. people were laughing at me because the sleeves stretched past my fingertips. Hopefull a few more washes will convince it to hold its shape. the pants were good, no complaints there, and i really liked the drawstring. Next thing i noticed, and this may be a "who cares" thing, is that it is pretty much the exact same gi as the submission hemp sensation one of my training partners had on. same cut, accent colors, trim, stich patterns, thread color, even down to the green drawstring. I assume manufactures have set patterns and companies pick one and affix their logos. this is very superficial, but thats half the fun of shoyoroll.

basically, if the thing cant hold its size and i have to deal with a gi that makes my jiu jitsu life a living hell, its gotta go. so, well see. i guess the jury is out for now.

its tough to compare from a grip on grip stand point, because the RK is still as soft as a baby blanket, and my yank has stiffened up (wow that sounds awful) from countless hang drying sessions. the RK collar is substantially thicker, and all in all feels heavier. I will weigh just the jackets when I go home for lunch

first impressions ----

The thing is way too big, or the manufacturer screwed up the sizing. Outof the bag my A2 (5'10 185) felt like an A3. Super baggy torso, and long sleeves almost past my knuckles (they are also wide, almost like a judo gi). I went into super shrink mode befoer i went to training, and got it down to a reasonable a2 size. fast forward to the training...i live in philadelphia and my gym doesnt have AC, so it gets hot, and this gi was great as it wasnt too thick or heavy. That being said, after doing some judo and live rolling, and getting this thing nice and sweaty, it strecthed out to "kid wearing dads coat" proportions. people were laughing at me because the sleeves stretched past my fingertips. Hopefull a few more washes will convince it to hold its shape. the pants were good, no complaints there, and i really liked the drawstring. Next thing i noticed, and this may be a "who cares" thing, is that it is pretty much the exact same gi as the submission hemp sensation one of my training partners had on. same cut, accent colors, trim, stich patterns, thread color, even down to the green drawstring. I assume manufactures have set patterns and companies pick one and affix their logos. this is very superficial, but thats half the fun of shoyoroll.

basically, if the thing cant hold its size and i have to deal with a gi that makes my jiu jitsu life a living hell, its gotta go. so, well see. i guess the jury is out for now.

lol, whos alt is this?

You guys that have the ring, how much different is the rio koi's size? Haven't got a chance to pick up my koi yet.

I stumbled across it while looking at the SYR fake blackstar thread on facebook. Happened to see the color combination and looked at his profile. Figured I would share it.

Thanks for the pics. I like the Lew a little more then the Goldstar. I think it's because it's a color combo I haven't seen on a gi yet.

Both r sick. I own too many black kimonos though may pass on both.

296808_132738806871768_1683244574_n.jpg

488175_132738356871813_528866975_n.jpg

When are those coming out?? I wonder if they would take some of the ideas I have for gi's

God damn it, I want to know what the "cements" kimono is all about. The list was Goldstar, charles lew, cements, brasileiro, and her honor all before new years.

looking for an A1L ring. have an A2 ring for trade. or can set up getting an A2 rio koi if necessary

Quick Rio Koi info:

6'1" 205# I wear an A4 top and A3 pants in most other brands. I went with a straight A3 on the RK since most have said they run big. This is absolutely true I had to do a wash/dry to shrink it a bit and it fits perfectly now.

Sleeves are much slimmer on this than I'm used to but they don't restrict movement so it's all good... less to grip.

Two negative things: I'm noticing this weave stretches when training. It doesn't seem to stretch as bad as my Sirius though, which I rarely wear because its so annoying.

The other is the bottom of the lapel does not sit straight when the top is closed, which doesn't really matter to me but, for the money that should be addressed.

Overall I really like the fit and feel of it, would buy SYR again (as long as this one holds up in training)

Back