Shoyoroll Gis-worth it?

Which brands do you choose that are in the 100 dollars range? Fuji? On sale?

I wait for sales. My favorite right now is the strike fightwear crowd control gi they have on sale now for I think around 100. At least it was on sale if it's not up any more. It's black with aqua stitching I believe. Very nice collar and stifff. No rip stop crap any where on it. Nice fit. IMO for the price it's great.

I don't have any problem with syr. The gi I sent back was because the pants weighed 50 pounds (the dlux) and I did not like that at. All. It was nice but nothing to where I was like holy crap. I am sure if you or anyone buys one they would be happy.

Another few examples of the 100 dollar ish area is inverted gear, ctrl industries had a Black Friday sale which I think they were 135. Kingz Black Friday or Xmas sale I think was. 100 or so. Redstar for 100 right now which is nice. Prana was 135 I think Black Friday.

I have 4 shoyoroll gi's and they fit and feel great. I guess because of my build (5'11" and 220lbs) I found it hard to get the right size gi in other brands. The Shoyoroll A2H and A3H (newer gi's) fit perfect. I also have an A3 Origin Comp 550 that fits great as well, plus an A2H Prana Abott that is a bit big but almost decent length. I had an Atama but it didn't fit as well as the Shoyo's.

As a guide for size my gi's fit as follows:
Shoyoroll A2H Compadre - perfect length and width
Shoyoroll A2H Golden State - Short length and perfect width
Shoyoroll A2H Competitor - Short length and perfect width
Shoyoroll A3H Comp Standard XIV - Perfect length and width
Origin Comp 550 - Perfect length and decent width
Atama Mundial #9 A4 - too long in length and decent width
Koral MKM Comp A3 - Decent length and width
Prana Abott A2H - Maybe a little short in length and quite wide.

Most other brands (according to their size charts) I fall between needing an A3 OR AND A4 ... A4 for width and A3 for length... I only got the Shoyoroll gi's because they were together in a really good deal ($400 for the first 3 gi's) so I couldn't pass on that! I definitely wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices on ebay for them though...

How's the syr comp standard XIV? It's the spring batch right? How does the high tech weave feel and what is it? The pants are polyester cotton blend and how is it?

With syr popularity there's not as much reviews as I thought.
Your thoughts please?

How's the syr comp standard XIV? It's the spring batch right? How does the high tech weave feel and what is it? The pants are polyester cotton blend and how is it?

With syr popularity there's not as much reviews as I thought.
Your thoughts please?

It is in my rotation but I have only worn it a couple of times so far. The fit is great (It is an A3H and my other SYR's are A2H) with the length a little longer and the fit is tighter than the other A2H SYR's I have, which fits me a little better.

I think it may have felt like it stretched a little when I was rolling, but after a cold wash and hang dry inside it felt like new again.

The pants are my main worry. They feel real comfortable and soft but I'm worried after a few more rolls and washes they might start to split or wear quickly... I may be wrong but we'll see.

Over all it's a real comfortable gi and after a few more wears, may become my favorite.

Also, I just picked up a Kingz Comp450 in A3H .... feels awesome! The size is somewhat bigger than SYR A3H size gi's to. A little longer and heaps more room. I reckon I could gain another 30lbs and still wear the Kingz, but another 5 to 10 lbs and I wouldn't fit into the SYR.

If I get time I was thinking of taking pics of me with each gi on to get an idea of the size differences between brands...

It is in my rotation but I have only worn it a couple of times so far. The fit is great (It is an A3H and my other SYR's are A2H) with the length a little longer and the fit is tighter than the other A2H SYR's I have, which fits me a little better.

I think it may have felt like it stretched a little when I was rolling, but after a cold wash and hang dry inside it felt like new again.

The pants are my main worry. They feel real comfortable and soft but I'm worried after a few more rolls and washes they might start to split or wear quickly... I may be wrong but we'll see.

Over all it's a real comfortable gi and after a few more wears, may become my favorite.

Also, I just picked up a Kingz Comp450 in A3H .... feels awesome! The size is somewhat bigger than SYR A3H size gi's to. A little longer and heaps more room. I reckon I could gain another 30lbs and still wear the Kingz, but another 5 to 10 lbs and I wouldn't fit into the SYR.

If I get time I was thinking of taking pics of me with each gi on to get an idea of the size differences between brands...

When I saw it had 10oz pants, I thought that was just too thin. And it's poly cotton blend and I have no idea if it means it will rip easier and trap heat.

I like the Shoyoroll cut at least for me and the wide assortment of sizing. CTRL is much better built but somewhat boxy or stiff. I'm curious about the tech weave. Do you know what it is? Pearl weave with a fancy name?

When I saw it had 10oz pants, I thought that was just too thin. And it's poly cotton blend and I have no idea if it means it will rip easier and trap heat.

I like the Shoyoroll cut at least for me and the wide assortment of sizing. CTRL is much better built but somewhat boxy or stiff. I'm curious about the tech weave. Do you know what it is? Pearl weave with a fancy name?

The last few releases haven't been "tech weave". With the exception of the Absolute (which was a standard pearlweave), they have all been "pearl weave pro" or "pearl pro weave". The weave resembles the "carioca" weave of the Atama Mundial 9, but is much thinner and stretches slightly. It is very soft and comfortable. The "lite-tech weave" of the Rio Koi resembles the weave of the Tatami Nova and the Vulkan Ultra lite (except not as stretchy).

The poly/cotton blended pants are very nice and soft. They're not as wrinkly out of the wash. I haven't noticed them being any hotter than all cotton pants.

I may be in the minority here but I don't believe they are worth 170. They're made in Pakistan just like many gi's in the 100-150 range. I bought one and wasn't comfortable training in it knowing the value could increase. I sold it on ebay after one use. I own gis of all brands as sizing and shrinkage is never consistent across different releases from all gi makers.

I may be in the minority here but I don't believe they are worth 170. They're made in Pakistan just like many gi's in the 100-150 range. I bought one and wasn't comfortable training in it knowing the value could increase. I sold it on ebay after one use. I own gis of all brands as sizing and shrinkage is never consistent across different releases from all gi makers.

You can look at it another way which is even if it doesn't fit, you can sell it at near cost or more depending on the make and who wants it badly. What gi can you buy and shrink and someone else is willing to pay maybe at least 1/2 the sale price? I knew someone who said he sold the ones he actually trained with then used the proceeds to buy new ones.

Anyone bought the last competition lightweight gi from SYR? The white sold out quickly but the black still had some sizes available into the afternoon.

Worth it? No. Not when you can get a functional equivalent for almost half. They are however, nice. I really, really liked my Americana.

It would be nice if there was something special that justified the price. It is not like Rolex or Rolls Royce that even though overpriced they sell a well crafted product. Shoyoroll are for the most part made in the same Pakistani factory as many other gis and go through the same quality controls.

The best gis money can buy come from Japan, and I mean the ones actually made in Japan.

It would be nice if there was something special that justified the price. It is not like Rolex or Rolls Royce that even though overpriced they sell a well crafted product. Shoyoroll are for the most part made in the same Pakistani factory as many other gis and go through the same quality controls.

The best gis money can buy come from Japan, and I mean the ones actually made in Japan.

Yes, but the hype is from the collectors and fanboys. SYR never made any claims that their gi is better somehow except with the Absolute US made gi which has a specific pattern. Their pricing is around $159 and up so it's not as if they're charging alot more than other brands with gi's made in Pakistan. Do or Die's hyperfly retails for $189.

I think what is nice is that they offer a better variety of sizings. I'm not sure if they were the first ones to do this. For their standard competition gi without the frills at $159 isn't that bad for a clean designed gi that you can sell on ebay if it shrinks too much or you just don't like it due to its resell value.

Retail: Yes.

Secondary market prices: Not IMO.

As a gi, they're solid overall. Especially some of the newer ones where they do cool stuff with the like the Goldstar, Ring, and Rio Koi.

The last few releases haven't been "tech weave". With the exception of the Absolute (which was a standard pearlweave), they have all been "pearl weave pro" or "pearl pro weave". The weave resembles the "carioca" weave of the Atama Mundial 9, but is much thinner and stretches slightly. It is very soft and comfortable. The "lite-tech weave" of the Rio Koi resembles the weave of the Tatami Nova and the Vulkan Ultra lite (except not as stretchy).

The poly/cotton blended pants are very nice and soft. They're not as wrinkly out of the wash. I haven't noticed them being any hotter than all cotton pants.

Did you check out the SYR x Undefeated release? That was pretty expensive for a gi release. Retails at $250 I think. White and Green. Didn't see anything special in regards to the cut or material. Prior to that, they had a competition release which sold out.

Yes, but the hype is from the collectors and fanboys. SYR never made any claims that their gi is better somehow except with the Absolute US made gi which has a specific pattern. Their pricing is around $159 and up so it's not as if they're charging alot more than other brands with gi's made in Pakistan. Do or Die's hyperfly retails for $189.

I think what is nice is that they offer a better variety of sizings. I'm not sure if they were the first ones to do this. For their standard competition gi without the frills at $159 isn't that bad for a clean designed gi that you can sell on ebay if it shrinks too much or you just don't like it due to its resell value.

When Shoyoroll first rose to prominence they were actually a very high quality and unique gi for the period.

They had reinforced knees and I believe are the first to offer sizes in slim and husky.

Now there are lots of other gis that offer the same but are alot cheaper. No resale value. I have purchased SYRs as investments. Resale is better than that of the Rolex Submariner! It is silly people covert them so much in todays market.

A Japanese brand should release some limited edition gis and maybe then you will have a luxury gi that preforms better than the rest.

They are absolutely worth it at retail prices because
A. They're actually really really nice fucking gi's
B. As long as they're not general release comp standards, if you buy and feel any remorse...you can ALWAYS sell them on ebay for a healthy profit.

I bought the Competitor (batch 17) in 2012 for just under $200. It was my workhorse for the last 4 years. I just sold it a couple weeks ago for $140. Only Shoyorolls and the new Illest gi will be capable of that kind of resale.

No it's not worth it. And I find it hilarious when a lot of modern BJJ hipsters actually thinks wearing a Shoyoroll will make their BJJ better. HAHAHA!

SYR are crap.

hi folks if i make shoyorol cut gi , 550 gsm or heavier pearl weave , belt included , what should i price it, i am also planing to offer free international shipping for first few orders.
sorry if my post is irrelevant.
i have some excess fabric sitting in my basement , maybe its time to offer stock bjj gi,s as well along with other products i offer.

hi folks if i make shoyorol cut gi , 550 gsm or heavier pearl weave , belt included , what should i price it, i am also planing to offer free international shipping for first few orders.
i have some excess fabric sitting in my basement , maybe its time to offer stock bjj gi,s as well along with other products i offer.

I would say no more than $130, but that depends on what kind of designs you will have on it.

Will it be completely blank? If so, then around the $100

Depending on logos, $130.

Considering your work on all the gloves I can expect an awesome quality gi.

Back