Shoyoroll Gis-worth it?

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently have 3 gis and awaiting my 4th(origin bootlegger! :) but I have always been interested in getting a shoyoroll due to their popularity , my question is are they worth the $$? Those of you who have one, what makes the difference compared to other brands?

many thanks

IMO they aren't, but Im not a hipster.

Theres the old saying, something is only worth what somebody will pay for and SYR Gi's are always sold out so....

For the purchase price up to about $150 - $170 USD absolutely. Normally great quality, great fit, well constructed, and long lasting. But, anything above $170 absolutely not. Especially some of these psychos on eBay. $300+ get out of here. Also, I have felt that their quality has fallen off as of late and the some of the color combinations are absolutely horrendous. I like them because the A2H fits me almost perfect, but if you don't have the money you can find many quality uniforms at way lower cost. IMO

If you can get one at retail price I think they are worth it. The A3S from them is the best fit I have found so far. If you have trouble finding a gi that fits they might be an option for you. However, I would never pay more than the retail price.

I have had a few Shoyorolls. Some of their batches are amazing. The Count, Americana, Golden State, Yang, and DLUX were all superb gis. Their Comp release recently was also not too bad since it came in size A2L. I personally believe the DLUX is the best gi ever made. If only they made it in A2L, I would have bought 3 of them.

Having said that, there is a secondary market for these gis which, I personally believe, is outrageous. I mean, 365 dollars for an Absolute is ridiculous. At most, 220 dollars is within reason for a gi, even one as coveted as Shoyoroll.

Also, all of the gis I listed had that classic Shoyoroll logo design, which I think looks fantastic. I am really not fond of their Absolute design, or the SGT. I'm a big fan of their old designs, I guess.

Bottom line, it really is up to you. For the most part they make pretty good gis for the prices that they charge. If you're getting one on the secondary market, that depends on how much you want to spend. Besides the Yang I listed above, I got all of those gis at decent prices (well below what the secondary market demands) so I wasn't unhappy with my purchases.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your search.

SYR's cut I believe is copied by many competitors. The problem is that if you like the cut, other competitors will charge the same amount of around $170. Only difference is that you don't have to wait and try to buy one when it's released. SYR has according to them a wide selection is sizing.

If Mizuno makes a SYR cut gi, and charged $200 dollars, I still wouldn't buy it...well, I would think about it. Their Absolute gi was over $200 dollars because it was made in Los Angeles. But if you look on Facebook, there's some posters noting quality control problems which contradicts SRY owner's interview that the US made gi's will be easier to manage in terms of quality control. I bought a Prana gi during the last year's black friday and it was heavily discounted and the cut was pretty much the same as SYR's.

The SGT was really over the top and they will have another military inspired gi coming out soon.

I have 2 SYR's. Both are good quality and I am very happy with them. I paid $185 for each but I had to play the game of buying during a window of oppurtunity. I have 1 Origin (procomp 2013) and I think I paid $200 for it during some presale they did.

At least I can use my SYR in competition. The Origin is pretty much banned by every tournament I've tried to use it in. What really rustles my jimmies is that Origin made no attempt to make it right. I found out about it being banned during my gi check at the 2014 Pan Ams.
I had to run upstairs and buy a shitty fitting pair of Koral pants for $50 just to be able to compete. Pretty much soured me on Origin. IMHO, they should have emailed everyone that bought that gi as soon as they knew they were banned

/rant

No. Get an Isami for less.

Wat? Lol

You will not buy an Isami gi for less that what SYR charges.

Budovideos charges $238 for an Isami. Budovideos charges $160-$185 for SYR depending on model.

The SYR Absolute was $225-$235 depending on what color you bought. Still cheaper than an Isami.

I have 2 SYR's. Both are good quality and I am very happy with them. I paid $185 for each but I had to play the game of buying during a window of oppurtunity. I have 1 Origin (procomp 2013) and I think I paid $200 for it during some presale they did.

At least I can use my SYR in competition. The Origin is pretty much banned by every tournament I've tried to use it in. What really rustles my jimmies is that Origin made no attempt to make it right. I found out about it being banned during my gi check at the 2014 Pan Ams.
I had to run upstairs and buy a shitty fitting pair of Koral pants for $50 just to be able to compete. Pretty much soured me on Origin. IMHO, they should have emailed everyone that bought that gi as soon as they knew they were banned

/rant

They still say they're IBJJF legal. Some of their athletes have used them at Pans/Worlds but I guarantee you they

A. had switched out their buckle enclosure and just didn't say anything or
B. Only top black belts used them and of course the checkers won't say anything to them.

I have 4 shoyoroll gi's and they fit and feel great. I guess because of my build (5'11" and 220lbs) I found it hard to get the right size gi in other brands. The Shoyoroll A2H and A3H (newer gi's) fit perfect. I also have an A3 Origin Comp 550 that fits great as well, plus an A2H Prana Abott that is a bit big but almost decent length. I had an Atama but it didn't fit as well as the Shoyo's.

As a guide for size my gi's fit as follows:
Shoyoroll A2H Compadre - perfect length and width
Shoyoroll A2H Golden State - Short length and perfect width
Shoyoroll A2H Competitor - Short length and perfect width
Shoyoroll A3H Comp Standard XIV - Perfect length and width
Origin Comp 550 - Perfect length and decent width
Atama Mundial #9 A4 - too long in length and decent width
Koral MKM Comp A3 - Decent length and width
Prana Abott A2H - Maybe a little short in length and quite wide.

Most other brands (according to their size charts) I fall between needing an A3 OR AND A4 ... A4 for width and A3 for length... I only got the Shoyoroll gi's because they were together in a really good deal ($400 for the first 3 gi's) so I couldn't pass on that! I definitely wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices on ebay for them though...

Thanks guys, I actually have an order for the new origin bootlegger that should be here in August/September so hopefully I wont have much issues at comps.

I was going to get a ctrl industries gi aswell but I noticed that shoyoroll have a new gi coming out soon and thought it looked quite cool, if I buy it I will let you know. Im 5ft 5" 61kg.

I currently have

Tatami Nova Basic- A1 (Way too baggy and the trousers are so thin)
Tatami Estillo- A1 I like this gi but it shrank so much on the pant and arm length
Meerkatsu Heavnly GI- A1 Definately my favourite gi I own, fits very well

I have a SYR and 3 Atama Gi's. I obviously prefer Atama as their sizes fit me best and I don't have to sit at my computer for a pre-order.

I would probably buy a CTRL gi over a Shoyoroll. I like the look of almost all of CTRL's Gi's (except the watermelon Gi).

I have a SYR and 3 Atama Gi's. I obviously prefer Atama as their sizes fit me best and I don't have to sit at my computer for a pre-order.

I would probably buy a CTRL gi over a Shoyoroll. I like the look of almost all of CTRL's Gi's (except the watermelon Gi).

What size do you wear for Atama, if you don't mind me asking?

I have to agree. Heavier construction and easier to get and the sizing is comparable. I can't tell the difference. SYR tends to be lighter.

If you ask me all gi is pretty much the same all that matters is the fit. If it fits you Awsome then that is what matters. Unless the gi is total garbage, which I have not seen one yet, then really no gi is with more that 130 bucks say. I bought a syr and sent it back. There was nothing special at all about it where I was like wow. They are nice and if I saw one I just had to have I would buy one, but until then there are many gi that can be had for around the 100 dollar range that is just as good.

If you ask me all gi is pretty much the same all that matters is the fit. If it fits you Awsome then that is what matters. Unless the gi is total garbage, which I have not seen one yet, then really no gi is with more that 130 bucks say. I bought a syr and sent it back. There was nothing special at all about it where I was like wow. They are nice and if I saw one I just had to have I would buy one, but until then there are many gi that can be had for around the 100 dollar range that is just as good.

Which brands do you choose that are in the 100 dollars range? Fuji? On sale?

Absolutely at retail price. I own 3, including new Comp model I picked up today. If I can't get them direct and at retail price I won't bother. Stupid prices on eBay.

Absolutely at retail price. I own 3, including new Comp model I picked up today. If I can't get them direct and at retail price I won't bother. Stupid prices on eBay.

This!!
they are really good kimonos and fit me perfectly. worth it at retail... tho my favourite gi is probably my grips 2.0, wich is easy to find and less of a hassle to buy

What size do you wear for Atama, if you don't mind me asking?

A3, but I have a stocky build.

I'm 5'8"215-220lbs.

I have all my Gi's in A3 and Atama fits me the best. Shoyoroll is really long in the sleeves and the pants are a bit long and baggy.

Your best bet is to try on guys gi's at the start of class. They will be washed and dried numerous times so they will be the exact size after shrinking.

I've done this before when I was thinking about a CTRL Gi. Asked a buddy before class to try his kimono on, but it was A2. a little snug in the torso, but sleeve length was good. My bet - A3 would fit in the torso, but long in the sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back