Should you focus on standup at the same time as grappling?

I say you should get striking in.
I have seen first hand (ammy circuit) quite a few times when grapplers who underestimate striking, get overwhelmed, then completely shut down and end up losing. Alot of coaches here have their fighters get competitive exp. in both areas (grappling + striking) individually before transitioning onto MMA.
A few years ago my coach noticed it being a problem and decided to make a rule that no one competes in MMA unless they have at least:
-1-2 BJJ/no-gi tourneys
-3-5 muay thai fights

The problem then was, someone would be about say, blue to purple in BJJ, but takes up 6 months of striking with some sparring, when it came to fight night and were matched up against a striker with decent takedown defense, they had nothing to answer.

TLDR;
get striking exp. preferably competitive exp, maybe even a few MT smokers/exhibitions so it won't tack onto your official record. Your base is grappling (BJJ) so that's your strength, just get striking to the point where you're comfortable with it, and won't shut down while still continuing with your gameplan, in the event a better striker overwhelms you

In my opinion, after your first day of training a martial art you'll be thinking about and developing that art for the rest of your life. So heck yes, you should get Some experience with all arts, just so you have a frame of reference: "Wow, I'm a great grappler now, but that one time I went to the muai thai gym it hurt like hell.. so better get more work in there.." or "damn, the takedown we're practicing now will Never work when striking is involved".

Also, there's so much to learn: Take whatever opportunities arise or what feels best at the moment. As long as you're having fun training, you're making progress.

As you train your work capacity is gonna keep going up. If you can train both at the same time, even if you only strike like 3 times a week, you'll be much better off. You want to start thinking about how all these things fit together as soon as possible.

The main skill you are looking for in MMA is the ability to strike and grapple seemlessly, no matter what's going on. You might end up hitting a kick, getting stuffed, defending a takedown, shoving the guy off, hitting punches, then shooting a single, pushing him to the wall, then clinch fighting...

People see that and they say, "oh look, he knows different martial arts," but that's not what's really going on. He's "doing MMA" which is different. You can be good at it without being good at the individual disciplines, when compared to people in each arena.

So do it all now.

Plus, there is crossover. You will get good legs from boxing and wrestling and you will use your wrestling when clinch striking. It is all good.

Better, you want to do lots of "light work." Just tons of it. Stuff that doesn't make you sore or get you hurt.

If you want to be a good kicker, or learn boxing form, you need to stand in front of a mirror and do those exercises slowly. Do 500 kicks and 1000 punches. Then shadow box. Do it when you are wrecked from sparring, lifting and grappling.

See I've heard some people talk about being a jack of all traits and master of none, and saying how that when you start training in MMA, you should really become powerful in one area, and later start mixing it up more, instead of diluting all your training. How true is this for someone looking to go towards MMA in the future? I've been training for about 8 months only now, and I've done 5 months of 6 days a week, gi and no gi brazillian jujitsu classes, should I spend time doing some sort of standup, muay thai or boxing or kick boxing? Or is there anything I can be doing from home to help me, is it worth just buying a punching bag or am I thinking a bit far ahead here? Opinions?

I like to try to be as logical as possible and use deductive reasoning more than my own emotional/personal nonsensical preferences.

Having said that, the majority of Champions and fighters who stick out to the general public are very good at one particular thing.

The Rory McDonald's are pretty successful as well, but from statistics, the guys who are really good at one particular thing/art tend to win more and stick out more.

that is like asking "should someone just train in MMA and not muay thai, BJJ and wrallsing separately."

It should not matter unless you goal is to compete under different rulesets.

Back