Should UFC be lowering PPV price, not raising?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Hardcore MMA, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Sakuraba7

Sakuraba7 Black Belt

The UFC has always ripped off its fans. For God's sake they have a $100 million/year TV deal (probably doubles in a year time now) and they're still on that 2000s PPV model except its expensive as hell. PRIDE used to put all its events in Japan for free on FujiTV and theirs was an infinitely better product. I used to think UFC needed PPV to survive because they didn't have a major network, well now they do but they're still ripping fans out the ass. Most professional sports rely exclusively on TV deal and maybe an optional subscription to website/channel.

WWE, one of the pioneers of PPV, the model that UFC copied, moved away to a subscription model for its monthly events. How come the UFC gets $100 million for TV, then Fight Pass, merch, and international TV fees on top, and still delivers a mediocre and watered-down product? For the same price as 1 UFC PPV, you can get 5-6 months subcription to HBO, Showtime or WWE Network. For what costs 2 UFC PPVs, you could get both SHO and HBO, that's all your boxing need right there.

catchwrestle likes this.
  2. boudstyle

boudstyle Blue Belt

I pay like $20 a month for Fox Sports. It gives me all my football and every UFC event including the PPV live and a delayed broadcast.

3. BLACKWOLF

BLACKWOLF Blue Belt

A fight pass discount and a premium membership with free PPVs wouldn’t be a bad idea

4. jarj

jarj Yellow Belt

just raise it to $1 billion, and hope some random rich guy accidentally buys it

5. Quietus

Quietus Purple Belt

Yes especially considering fights are getting pulled from a large % of cards due to injury or missing weight, there were a number of events last year that had their main events taken off. I don't think you can justify the price even when all the fights are on, let alone when fights are off.

6. andmcq

andmcq Green Belt

In Australia we only pay $49.99AU which is $39.10USD.

7. fedoriswar37

fedoriswar37 Purple Belt

They should have a system with 4 major cards a year (stacked with title fights) for 64.99 and a another rate for the rest of the cards . Asking somebody to pay 64$ for some of the cards is ridiculous

8. juncito

juncito Purple Belt

The op said should the price lowered when there are shitty cards and my post was in response to the op. You're post is a rebuttal against mine without the op in mind.

9. King of Fists

King of Fists Mobile Platinum Member

I think they'd do about 1.3-1.6x the buys if they cut the price in half, which wouldn't really be worth it.

I loved/hated how Pride events were on when they were. You could chain a night of watching UFC into watching Pride when they were on the same day and get bombed in the process, but that usually meant struggling to stay awake, not easy to do after drinking and smoking all night esp in between cards. That long ass gap between when the UFC fights ended and the Pride ones started was a killer.

I'm pretty sure that's why they didn't sell well in the US, that was an awful time to be on for the ppv buying crowd on the east coast. Plus people didn't buy many cards back then period.

10. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

they should copy the WWE Network model.

11. Pakman

Pakman Silver Belt

If they wanted to, they could easily have them for like $30-40 even. I don’t know how many PPV’s they have in a year, but it seems like it’s a # that’s close to like 12-14 and sell something via fight pass or something to buy them online n stream them for a bundle price of like 400, they’d make a killing I think. Def get more people paying 400 to get all 12 than having people buy 7 PPVs in a year to equal that amount. I don’t know anyone who buys 7 UFC ppv’s a year.