Should TRT/HRT usage be allowed in sports?

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Do you guys really find people on TRT/HRT who need it to be seriously advantaged? I don't think so. I have found myself having this conversation more times than i would like being a personal trainer and my logic is this. If a persons testosterone levels have plummeted to the point where their doctor has prescribed TRT/HRT wouldn't they be in a sense disadvantaged themselves? Also if their prescription puts them at normal levels and it's not some supraphysiologic dose do you see an issue with that?

There is also another perspective to be looking at here. Some peoples lives are absolutely ruined when their hormone levels are out of whack and it could happen for many different reasons (Age being at the top) but what if it's legitimately compromising your quality of life and you start dosing it for therapeutic reasons. So what now? You aren't allowed to be an athlete anymore? It doesn't really seem right to me.

Thoughts?

Yes, there's nothing wrong with being at natural levels...and enforcement is impossible.

No, if people are allowed to use it, it almost forces everyone to use it.

"natural". Normal tst range is between 300-900ng/dl. Every athlete will be 1000ng/dl.

Reminds me of the Clenbuterol epidemic of the Seoul Olympics 30 yrs ago.

Yeah, they tried that. Amazing how many young guys "needed" it.

SFL-2-Todd-Duffee.jpg

03_crop_650x440_crop_north.jpg

Yeah, they tried that. Amazing how many young guys "needed" it.

SFL-2-Todd-Duffee.jpg

03_crop_650x440_crop_north.jpg
The idea is that it doesn't help you as much as a full blown cycle would. It normalizes you. There are naturals with higher test levels than those on HRT. These athletes also take an absolute beating in training and their endocrine systems suffer big time. So why not.

The idea is that it doesn't help you as much as a full blown cycle would. It normalizes you. There are naturals with higher test levels than those on HRT. These athletes also take an absolute beating in training and their endocrine systems suffer big time. So why not.
Do those 2 I posted look "normalized" to you? Again, they tried it and we saw how badly people abuse it.

natties with high T still fluctuate wildly throughout the week, whereas someone on TRT has consistent serum T. Even on a mild therapeutic dose, it is conferring substantial benefits to the user.

Do those 2 I posted look "normalized" to you? Again, they tried it and we saw how badly people abuse it.
They aren't the basis of the conversation. We are at least assuming that these are individuals who do in fact need it and do not abuse it. When you consider those circumstances is it still that bad?

And yes i understand what you are saying about people abusing it. That's not stopping anytime soon even with the rules we already have.

natties with high T still fluctuate wildly throughout the week, whereas someone on TRT has consistent serum T. Even on a mild therapeutic dose, it is conferring substantial benefits to the user.
That is correct but were talking about a therapeutic dose here that doesn't make too much of a difference when compared to a younger person for instance. The natural is susceptible to those wild swings but what if someone is permanently low? Should they not be allowed to fight at a therapeutic dose?

That is correct but were talking about a therapeutic dose here that doesn't make too much of a difference when compared to a younger person for instance. The natural is susceptible to those wild swings but what if someone is permanently low? Should they not be allowed to fight at a therapeutic dose?
If someone is naturally low then he should seek help for his condition. But he is now on PED's and should not be allowed in athletic competition that bans it. Even if his goal is to just "level the playing field" and artificially elevate his hormone levels to average levels.

There is no shortage of willing participants who arent suffering from hormone defeciencies and require special exemptions to compete. Why should the sport cater to the tiny percent of men who cant perform without assistance?

If someone is naturally low then he should seek help for his condition. But he is now on PED's and should not be allowed in athletic competition that bans it. Even if his goal is to just "level the playing field" and artificially elevate his hormone levels to average levels.

There is no shortage of willing participants who aren't suffering from hormone defeciencies and require special exemptions to compete. Why should the sport cater to the tiny percent of men who cant perform without assistance?
When we are talking mega doses than i am right there with you because that actually raises your natural limitations and your genetic ceiling but if we are talking about normalizing your levels it hardly stands out as PED. The most unnatural aspect of it is that it allows older competitors to stay in the game much longer than nature would usually allow.

I think it sets a bad example to think that the only people who could thrive are genetic outliers in the hormonal department and again there are people who are sitting at much higher levels regardless so it's not really an advantage even with those wild swings.

I would like to see the top guys have longer careers but at the same time I want them to be able to live a decent life after retiring.

You do realize you can't stop people from using it? It's literally impossible to detect if done properly. It's pointless to even try.

I figure we watch sports mainly for entertainment, I've never understood why people are so against something that makes them more entertaining. I'd say keep Olympic sports clean, but pro sports should allow some PEDs.

I figure we watch sports mainly for entertainment, I've never understood why people are so against something that makes them more entertaining. I'd say keep Olympic sports clean, but pro sports should allow some PEDs.
Because it gives users an advantage and forces other athletes to take harmful drugs in order to level the playing field. Trt and ped users should have a separate league to compete in that's not restricted but they don't belong in the same competition with normal athletes.

Because it gives users an advantage and forces other athletes to take harmful drugs in order to level the playing field. Trt and ped users should have a separate league to compete in that's not restricted but they don't belong in the same competition with normal athletes.
The problem here is that they are technically "normal" They hardly have an advantage and sometimes the natural athlete is even more advantaged than they are. For instance, a fighter who is on the higher end of the spectrum of natural levels beating a fighter who is on the lower end. Is that unfair as well?

The disparity between a natural and someone who is on a full blown cycle is the same as it is for someone on TRT.

It isn't pushing you beyond boundaries of what a natural is capable of, with the exception being increased longevity (age wise)

The problem here is that they are technically "normal" They hardly have an advantage and sometimes the natural athlete is even more advantaged than they are. For instance, a fighter who is on the higher end of the spectrum of natural levels beating a fighter who is on the lower end. Is that unfair as well?

The disparity between a natural and someone who is on a full blown cycle is the same as it is for someone on TRT.

It isn't pushing you beyond boundaries of what a natural is capable of, with the exception being increased longevity (age wise)
It's a ridiculous argument that it's to level the playing field. We're all created differently with different genetic gifts. Should epo/cera be allowed for athletes who live at sea level?

No, you shouldn't be allowed to dope your way to the same t level as an individual with better genetics, diet, training. If your body doesn't produce enough t to function normally then I have no problem with hrt, but don't try to compete and pretend that your results are legit against natural competitiors.

Back