Should title-contenders be choosen purely based on merit or can excitement overcome merit?

Devilton

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
There seems to be an agreement on the LW title situation:

a.) Poirier deserves a title-shot more than Lee based on his winning streak, but Khabib vs. Poirier would be less interesting than Khabib vs. Lee

and inversely

b.) Lee would be a more interesting match-up for Khabib than Poirier, but is less deserving based on his resume

So how do you go about that in this particular case as well as in general? Do you go for pure merit or for what get's people more excited? Does the interest in a Khabib/Lee fight leapfrog Poirier's accomplishments?

All under the assumption that Conor doesn't fight in 2018 and Ferguson can't until 2019. So please no "fight Tony!!!" posts, we all get that in theory he would be the most deserving/exciting option.

I'd rather see Lee fight Poirier, then winner gets title shot.

I'm a merit over excitement kind of guy.

There seems to be an agreement on the LW title situation:

a.) Poirier deserves a title-shot more than Lee based on his winning streak, but Khabib vs. Poirier would be less interesting than Khabib vs. Lee

and inversely

b.) Lee would be a more interesting match-up for Khabib than Poirier, but is less deserving based on his resume

So how do you go about that in this particular case as well as in general? Do you go for pure merit or for what get's people more excited? Does the interest in a Khabib/Lee fight leapfrog Poirier's accomplishments?

All under the assumption that Conor doesn't fight in 2018 and Ferguson can't until 2019. So please no "fight Tony!!!" posts, we all get that in theory he would be the most deserving/exciting option.
Good question, TS.
There are some situations that more than 1 contender is possible and each situation should be analyzed. Specifically in this situation it wouldn´t be fair to give Lee the TS before Poirier because of 2 reasons: he already had his chance to fight for the title against Tony and lost it, but most importantly, he missed weight for the Barboza fight and that´s very unprofessional. If anything, Lee should receive an ultimatum that if he misses weight one more time he will get the Lineker and Gastelum treatment and be forced to move up a division.

Poirier should get the TS.

leonard garcia would have been UFC champ if it was all about excitement.

Yea, but that’s an exciting fight.

Hell yeah it is. Sometimes it can be both.

I don't think either Lee or Poirier should get a title shot right now. Either one getting it next is based on "excitement", I think what makes this matchup more exciting is because the winner would truly deserve a title shot. Meritocracy ftw!

I remember Fitch having to Hump 8 wins before getting a shot so yea it def helps if your getting flashy wins.

Back