Should They Reboot Brian De Palma's Scarface?

Eh. I can play GTA Vice City and have a much better experience than even the original movie.

The 2 "classic" films that I never understood the love for are Scarface and Forrest Gump.

Both are solid enough, but nothing special, imo.

Really no need to remake it.......it's a genre film, so just make another Gangster film, if that's what you want to do.

It's not a good idea but the Scarface we all know and love is a remake as well. I bet if you asked people in the 1960s if they should remake the 1932 Scarface, they'd probably say leave it alone too.

On paper, a Scarface for a new generation sounds fine but why not just make a movie inspired by Scarface rather than rip it off and use the name? That's my big problem with Hollywood.

Look at Chappie. If you dissect it, it's basically a Short Circuit remake. Rather than just call it Short Circuit and consider it a remake, they call it Chappie and it's its own thing. If you make a Scarface based on a Mexican that rises to power and you end up calling it Scarface, all you are doing is immediately crippling the movie because people are going to compare it to the 80s version.

Instead, just make a new movie that uses the basic Scarface premise and try to make a new hit for a new generation. It can be their generation of Scarface but without the baggage.

Remaking B&W movies makes sense.

I saw Scarface in the theater last year. It was great. I love the fact that this place take classics and put them on the big screen here and there

It's not a good idea but the Scarface we all know and love is a remake as well. I bet if you asked people in the 1960s if they should remake the 1932 Scarface, they'd probably say leave it alone too.

On paper, a Scarface for a new generation sounds fine but why not just make a movie inspired by Scarface rather than rip it off and use the name? That's my big problem with Hollywood.

Look at Chappie. If you dissect it, it's basically a Short Circuit remake. Rather than just call it Short Circuit and consider it a remake, they call it Chappie and it's its own thing. If you make a Scarface based on a Mexican that rises to power and you end up calling it Scarface, all you are doing is immediately crippling the movie because people are going to compare it to the 80s version.

Instead, just make a new movie that uses the basic Scarface premise and try to make a new hit for a new generation. It can be their generation of Scarface but without the baggage.

I think the difference to me is that Scarface the newer one had color added to it and lets not pretend the acting isn't on another level at that point as well. Those two changes make a huge difference. No one is going to watch the 1932 scarface and say it's the better movie.

While today if you remade scarface there is a very very high chance that all you will do is make a horrible movie and one that isn't even as good as the Pacino one.

Brian De Palma’s Scarface is a remake itself. The original movie was released in 1932.

Arguably, Belly was an urban remake of Brian De Palma’s Scarface. At the very least it stole entire scenes, at the most it was an artists interpretation.

All of that being said, 1983 Scarface, in my opinion, isn’t a great film. It definitely has a cult following but I don’t find it to be a great movie. Al Pacinos acting was pretty solid and I do like the movie, but I don’t think it’s on the same level as The Godfather. Not even The Godfather 3.

I am a big fan of the original Belly. The second one with rapper the Game.....not so much.

Scarface (1983) definitely took from the plot of Scarface (1932) and added some distinctions.

I don't know how close the reboot would be to Scarface (1983). Since you don't think it to be that good do you think they are risking much with a remake, even if it isn't great? Brian De Palma's Scarface is held in high regard by many. I agree Godfather was better, 1 and 2, not 3 for me lol.

A remake of a remake? No thanks.

But they cant use Cubans as it wont have any relevance. Who are they going to use? In fact, I think the Cuban crime wave was over hyped. It mostly Colombians, and other various Hispanic groups in Miami back then.

They're considering having the main character, "Tony", be a Mexican immigrant. "Sosa" and the like would be Mexican cartel.

No Reboot. It's already a remake, and the First remake holds up too well. You could put the 1983 version back in theaters today and it would probably still do another $65-$70 million.

They should do a remake of the syrian refugee influx in europe and instead of the iconic line castro is shitting all over us, it can be assad is shitting all over us.

I think the difference to me is that Scarface the newer one had color added to it and lets not pretend the acting isn't on another level at that point as well. Those two changes make a huge difference. No one is going to watch the 1932 scarface and say it's the better movie.

While today if you remade scarface there is a very very high chance that all you will do is make a horrible movie and one that isn't even as good as the Pacino one.

I agree. The original Scarface was in 1932. Scarface (1983) was known for shock value; the chainsaw scene. I admittedly haven't watched the 1932 film, but other than the story I don't think they would be in anyway similar.

I am not opposed to modernizing a tale. Movies do it quite often.

A Christmas Carol was originally told in 1843. lol We have our share of those.

I think they could make a good remake. Also to consider, Jack Nicholson was THE Joker until Ledger's came out. (RIP)

The 2 "classic" films that I never understood the love for are Scarface and Forrest Gump.

Both are solid enough, but nothing special, imo.

Really no need to remake it.......it's a genre film, so just make another Gangster film, if that's what you want to do.

Scarface I think gets mischaracterised along with films like the Godfather when really its much pulpier cinema.

The main things it has in its favour really I'd say are Pacino's over the top performance and the equally over the top 80's style.

One remake we must be getting close to again is surely Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I spose the Craig/Kidman film being rather so so it holding that back a bit but a lot of people probably don't consider that as direct a remake as the first three times it was done in the 50's, 70's and 90's.

Yes, it comes out this month. They will continue to re-tell that story long after we're gone. lol

I saw the Kevin Costner one where he lost his accent in 10 mins. That would was good enough for me.

I saw the Kevin Costner one where he lost his accent in 10 mins. That would was good enough for me.

Hahaha

Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Disney's version are what I subscribe to. Both of them gave me laughs growing up. lol

Scarface I think gets mischaracterised along with films like the Godfather when really its much pulpier cinema.

The main things it has in its favour really I'd say are Pacino's over the top performance and the equally over the top 80's style.

That's the odd thing.....i love Manhunter which has a similar 80s chic thing going on, whereas in Scarface it kinda annoys me. Guess it's just me.

Back