Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
Automatic weapons are already illegal.

30 round mags, I think are unnecessary, Australia did change the laws on capacity.

Agree with da ghays as I have no issues, I don't think the two are comparable as one is in the US constitution.

I'm willing to compromise for the good of the country but not against anything that harms it.
US Gov need to draft a very intelligent bill without compromising the 2nd amendment.
There is a fear of giving inch and they'll take a mile concern regarding guns.
The current climate of the left & right being further apart is worrisome.

Agreed. Polarization is a problem. Both sides are really not even trying now.

It is a paradox i know, but for the freedom to bear arms to be kept in this country, long term, the freedom to bear arms will have to be limited in some very real ways, and the second amendment will have to be compromised, or reinterpreted, or whatever you want to call it.

The nation is not going to be able to endure and endless supply of asshats being able to go out and buy an AR15, along with 8-10 magazines that can hold 30 rounds (or as many as 100 with after market magazines) and being able to go out and clip off hundreds of shots and kill 20-60 people before anyone knows what the fuck is going on. The guy in Las Vegas fired 1100 rounds before he was stopped.

4 of the 5 worst mass shootings in US history have occurred in the last 18 months. The problem is not going away.

Handguns and Rifles/shotguns with relatively low magazine content (by todays standards) for home defense and hunting and shooting for sport. Each gun owner licensed. Each individual gun registered.
If the government can not accomplish that, eventually the right to bear arms will go away. It may take century and require thousands more to die. But it will happen.

Subsequently, several non-tricyclic SSRIs were discovered and marketed. Fluoxetine, which was FDA approved in 1987 and is usually thought to be the first SSRI to be marketed, paved the way for the next generation of SSRIs and was thought to be some kind of prototype.

Americans have no sense of community, no sense of brotherhood because they don't have a common racial and ethnic origin. On top of that they're fed with an individualist materialistic capitalism where you have to walk over other people to succeed and it's actually promoted as a good thing. They see each other as competitors, not as brothers. The message of the American national ideology is "we have this state this will protect you, now compete against each other to pursue happiness and the American dream". It has been this way since America was created.

Maybe things were better when there used to be more Christianity and a sense of universal Christian community and brotherhood and some sort of spirituality, but this is largely gone now too or perverted. Now it's each man for himself. This creates tensions because it's an extreme form of individualism.

You think things were better when there was more Christianity? Do you know anything about American history? Each state began with its own idea of what Christianity was- Puritan, Separatist, Congregationalist, Catholic, Protestant. They sought to avoid each other!

The one common link between ALL modern mass shooters is single parent households. This stat seems to be an elephant in the room that NO one is mentioning.
It's hard to find a representation of this in one place, you have to read up on every psycho to figure this out. The stats on crime for single mom kids are pretty shocking though.

Statistics
  • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
  • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
Father Factor in Education – Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.

• Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

http://thebullelephant.com/what-do-all-the-mass-shooters-have-in-common-no-father-in-the-home/

Not that we can do much about this other than rally against radical feminism. (divorce rates skyrocket in all communities after the 60's.) This should probably be part of the discussion.

4920035_f496.jpg

You don't have to share a race or ethnic background to love each other or feel a sense of brotherhood.

One on one in a controlled environment. There are streets you could walk down that would change your mind of that, real fast.

Not that we can do much about this other than rally against radical feminism. (divorce rates skyrocket in all communities after the 60's.) This should probably be part of the discussion.

4920035_f496.jpg

Divorce rates increased from 10% to 23% in that period because no-fault divorce became legal. That has little to do with "radical feminism". And the rate has dropped since.

Moreover, your chart starts in 1950, which is cherrypicked. Divorce rates were substantially higher (though not as high as in 1980) in the 1920s and late 1940s.

One on one in a controlled environment. There are streets you could walk down that would change your mind of that, real fast.

Lol, says the guy who lives in rural Maine to the guy who lives in Baltimore.

Thanks for that info, Seano!

What a bizarre statement. When you think of people that are not white you really do immediately think of violence don't you? Seriously man, you need to get out more. People are wonderful everywhere, there are way more great people than bad people.

I live in an incredibly diverse area and I surround myself with an incredibly diverse group of people, and there is a sense of community that I would not trade for anything. There is a lot that you learn and get to experience when you are around different cultures that you just don't get if you limit your experience to one specific group of people.

By the way, my diverse group of friends have never had a "Lobster feast with an EBT card" like your white friends. Lol. We have jobs and work for a living, and buy our own crabs.

Last edited:
Divorce rates increased from 10% to 23% in that period because no-fault divorce became legal. That has little to do with "radical feminism". And the rate has dropped since.

Moreover, your chart starts in 1950, which is cherrypicked. Divorce rates were substantially higher (though not as high as in 1980) in the 1920s and late 1940s.
What does that have to do with the common thread among mass shooters and the crime statistics? Did you miss the entire point of the post? (probably not, just want to be right and one up about something, right) I didn't post it to argue minutia or for any partisan reason. It certainly is a common trait among these perpetrators.

What does that have to do with the common thread among mass shooters and the crime statistics? Did you miss the entire point of the post? (probably not, just want to be right and one up about something, right) I didn't post it to argue minutia or for any partisan reason. It certainly is a common trait among these perpetrators.
I wasn't taking a contrary position on the rest of your post, just pointing out the chart you used to support one point was misleading. That's why I omitted the rest of your post from the quote. No need for you to be a whiny tit about it, I didnt do it to make you insecure.

You'd know about cherry picking. You didn't even refute the nonessential part of my post that you "cherry picked".

figure1_4.gif

<3>

Lol, says the guy who lives in rural Maine to the guy who lives in Baltimore.

Thanks for that info, Seano!

What a bizarre statement. When you think of people that are not white you really do immediately think of violence don't you? Seriously man, you need to get out more. People are wonderful everywhere, there are way more great people than bad people.

I live in an incredibly diverse area and I surround myself with an incredibly diverse group of people, and there is a sense of community that I would not trade for anything. There is a lot that you learn and get to experience when you are around different cultures that you just don't get if you limit your experience to one specific group of people.

By the way, my diverse group of friends have never had a "Lobster feast with an EBT card" like you and your white friends. Lol. We have jobs and work for a living, and buy our own crabs.
How snide. What do you think you have that I haven't seen?

Grow up Nac. No need to be such a child. I'm not sure who you're trying to impress but there's no one in this forum worth it. We disagree often but we usually converse in a respectful manner. What, am I supposed to believe you follow your welfare receiving friends around and monitor what they spend?

Your statement was dumb. Our society doesn't work that way. You posted an idealized view that you know doesn't work in our ultra PC world.

How snide. What do you think you have that I haven't seen?

Grow up Nac. No need to be such a child. I'm not sure who you're trying to impress but there's no one in this forum worth it. We disagree often but we usually converse in a respectful manner. What, am I supposed to believe you follow your welfare receiving friends around and monitor what they spend?

Your statement was dumb. Our society doesn't work that way. You posted an idealized view that you know doesn't work in our ultra PC world.

I take offense to racism, or statements that seem to hold contempt for racial unity. You seem to say things fairly often that depict a very, very negative view of racial unity, in particular as it relates to black people.

Here is an example. I said that you don't have to have the same race or ethnicity to show love and have a sense of brotherhood with one another.

You responded by saying I could walk down some streets that would change my mind.

What the hell does that even mean? Am I supposed to feel afraid of black people because there are bad neighborhoods? Do you think black people from the suburbs walk through dangerous black neighborhoods feeling safe?

Get out of here with that shit. It's ridiculous. You are painting dangerous streets as some sort of racial war zone. Completely wrong.

Baltimore is one of the worst cities in the country. Go to shittiest street, and you'll see homeless white dudes chilling with homeless black dudes. They are not racist, they are poor. Would I be safe? No. I look like I have nice things. Would a well-off black person be safe? No. They look like they have nice things.

You don't have to share a race or ethnic background to love each other or feel a sense of brotherhood.

Seriously, @Seano

Your response to that post was that there are dangerous streets that would attack me for being white? Lol. Why would your mind even go directly to that?

There are far more people who care about each other despite any racial differences than there are people who are tribal and fucked in the head.

I take offense to racism. You seem to say things fairly often that depict a very, very negative view of black people.
Nope. Stop right there. I don't get why you get all SJW when you come in this forum but that is a false statement. I have often spoken out of the manipulation of black people by people they revere, yes. I do find black culture to be pretty harmful to them but no. I am not racist. I believe all people are capable of achieving anything and I've said so a million times. I work with, played music with, grew up with people of all colors.

DO NOT plug your ears and yell racism at me, Nac. Pull yourself up from that muck, I know you aren't that pathetic.

Back