Should there be a 195 pound division?

No, it would just make 185 and 205 shallower whilst adding another weak division.

First and foremost we need a super heavyweight division. Once that's made let the UFC simmer for a few years before we assess the fighters and look at adding anymore imo.

There's a reason UFC doesn't have a SHW div even though they are allowed to under current rules. Hint: fatasses gassing

I really like this idea, would be a great way to maximize the abundance of talent in that weight range.

Put like this there's an abundance of good to decent lw's that struggle with cutting, a handful of good to decent ww's that could cut down, and a several mw's that could make the jump to 175.

Some junior ww's that come to mind off the top of my head cowboy, Nate diaz, cheisa, gunnar, jorge m, etc..

no. there is already too many weight classes. it will get too confusing

Across the board, there isn't enough depth of talent in MMA for more divisions. Maybe there will be someday, maybe not.

But no. I hate it when there's to many divisions, makes it to easy for fighters to duck each other and makes champions less special. Keep it like it is now.

Or better yet, go back to two weight classes :)

I've often wondered why middleweight and lhw haven't been combined. Plenty of guys that fought at 205 are now fighting at 185. A number of 185 guys could easily fight at 205 (rockhold, weidman etc).

It seems like middleweight is for lhw fighters who have their weight cutting really dialed in.

i don't think so. i'd prefer a 206-235 division. and a 235-280 division

Heavyweight: Open
Cruiserweight: 205
Light Heavyweight: 195
Middleweight: 185
Welterweigth: 175
Lightweight: 165
Featherweight: 155
Bantamweigth: 145
Flyweigth: 135
Strawweight: 125

More Champions, more Stars, more Superfights. But only with stricter weight cutting rules.
The UFC alone has 500 signed fighters. Sign some more, do more shows, stop bullshitting like with McGregor-Diaz 2 and all the rematches, and we could come closer to a real sport instead of a somewhat more realistic pro wrestling league.

Yes. 185 and 205 are both way too deep, they need to be thinned out so we get fewer good fights between top guys

So the title says it all. For years we've seen the likes of machida, Belfort, sonnen, Henderson etc moving around from 185 to 205 which is a bigger move than most think. Do any of you think the UFC should make a light middleweight division (185) and a middleweight (195). I personally think this would be good as people like rashad and rampage back in the day should've fought at 195 and a recent example would be Chris Weidman at 195

definitely should have made 195 before 125.

But having the weight spread be 15 lbs from 155-170 and 170-185 makes having 185-195 not make much sense.

130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 205 makes more sense to me.

Lighter heavyweight division.

But in reality, I don't think there's enough talent to have three divisions in that 20 pound gap.

Honestly, I think all the division's need a restructure. Elitexc had it 130,140,150,160,170,185,205, 265. I think they should've spaced it out after 170. Maybe do 190, 210, then 270

-ditch 125
-ditch 205
-create 165 & 175
-create 195
-everything above 195 = HW

I don't think so. LHW is really weak at the minute. Outside the top 5 it's pretty awful. Rampage is far too big for 195. He is a perfect LHW. And the guys you listed like Rashad, Machida, Belfort all won LHW titles.
Rampage is far too big for 205 and has been for years. The effort it takes him to make weight effects every other aspect of his game and hasn’t been relevant in nearly a 7 years.

That is why everything above 195lb should be heavyweight.

Back