Should there be a 195 pound division?

Personally, I'm torn on this issue. While I do think 20 pounds between weight classes is crazy, I hate the idea of thinning out all the weight classes and creating weaker divisions.

No. The only weight class change I'd like would be adding a 230lbs division and taking the 265lbs limit off of hw. I completely understand that hw is generally considered to be too shallow for a separate 230lbs division to be a good idea and I'm OK with that. The upper limit on hw is stupid, though.

And rampage was never small for lhw

Why a 195? Why not (also) 215 and 225?

For all those saying rampage wasn't too small, whilst you're right however he was only cutting 5-10 pounds, might have been better suited to 195

Definitely not. If you take average height and reach for each division in the UFC, LHW and MW are the closest to each other of any division. Even boxing doesn't have a gap as small as 20 lbs at its equivalent weight class. Don't listen to Joe Rogan. He is very wrong on this subject. There aren't many fighters that are this heavy. MW and above are relatively weak weight classes. LHW and HW are especially bad. it doesn't make sense to water them down further.

They should scrap the 125 division and invest more in the 135'ers. I wouldn't mind a 195 division though.

No cruiserweight...dope procedure thinning out 185 division and talent already thinning out 205.

or something like that

I would personally choose these divisions -

Heavyweight with no upper limit

Get rid of 125 because of the lack of interest/market for it. Nothing against the fighters, but it's been shown that not enough people care for it to be viable.
Moving from a division ever 10 pounds to every 15 pounds as you get higher up is fair cause that's a smaller percentage difference anyway. And have an open weight heavyweight cause there's already not enough legit competition up there.

But I also support having no cutting, with measuring of walk around weight. So everyone would essentially move up a class or two. Mighty Mouse would be a 135er, Jones would be a heavyweight, and etc. Inbetween guys are gonna have to suck it up and accept that they can either be a few pounds light for the divison and hopefully faster and better at cardio or bulk a bit.

I see no reason why we need one.

Cruiserweight - 195?

I'm not sure but it'd be a perfect weight for Rockhold and Weidman.

I like the idea of a 195 lb division, especially so since the implementation of the IV ban.

Would rather they bumped up ww by 5 lbs and created a junior ww or super lw division at 165. More than enough talent between ww & lw to fill the division without it hurting either
I really like this idea, would be a great way to maximize the abundance of talent in that weight range.

So the title says it all. For years we've seen the likes of machida, Belfort, sonnen, Henderson etc moving around from 185 to 205 which is a bigger move than most think. Do any of you think the UFC should make a light middleweight division (185) and a middleweight (195). I personally think this would be good as people like rashad and rampage back in the day should've fought at 195 and a recent example would be Chris Weidman at 195

Goddamn.

This thread again.

poster-trophy.jpg

Back