Should the UFC book Edson Barboza vs Al Iaquinta as the comain for the Long Island card ?

J

JollyRants

upload_2017-5-19_12-35-48.png What you guys think of this fight as the co main for Weidman vs Gastelum on Fox ? Both guys have the New York based, both seem to be the only two LWs not matched up. Thoughts on this and who wins ?

Damn.. Al is not even top10..

If I were Edson, I would push hard for a Cucuy rematch
I dont think thats happening. Tony most likely will fight Khabib next for an interim belt. Tony also won the fight by finish. Dont think noone interested and Tony has nothing to gain from this. Tony won 9 fights in a row and is gonna fight a guy he beat already ? He wants a title fight.

Edson is first in line at LW assuming neither Conor nor Nate are in line. Cucuy/Edson II for the interim title would be spectacular.

A fight with Iaquinta would be cool too though if for some reason the above doesn't materialize.

IIRC Ariel said Edson isn't ready to fight in July. I might be wrong on that though

Last edited:
tony has mentioned him vs barboza 2 a couple of times.

Edson has a current great momentum, Cucuy is stuck, and the 1st bout was somehow controversial.
Nothing controversial Tony won by decisive finish. He broke Edson by pressuring him. Again Tony 9 in a row and was in line to fight for the belt. Noway in hell he fights a guy he beat already after winning 9 in a row. Tony next fight will be for gold.

tony has mentioned him vs barboza 2 a couple of times.
Has he ? Any sources ? I havent seen this and would make no sense after he won 9 in a row and him taking a rematch with Barboza with no gold on the line.

If I were Edson, I would wait for the Khabib and Tony dominoes to fall before settling anything. Other than that, Al and Do Bronx are the only guys available currently, or he could get the Lee-Chiesa winner.

And I guess if he's going to wait that long, he could also get the Johnson-Gaethje winner, seeing how that fight is only a couple weeks after OKC, and whoever wins that fight will probably win quickly and be ready for a fast turn around

Last edited:
u forgot then.
It actually was a up kick not a low blow lol. Seems you dont remember the fight. Go and rewatch it. Tony destroyed him.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I wouldn't mind it, just because the only other plausible matchup right now is Ferguson vs. Barboza II and I don't care for that fight too much. If Gaethje beats MJ, I'd still like to see Gaethje vs. Barboza but it seems Barboza wants to fight soon-ish.

"Barboza faced Tony Ferguson on December 11, 2015 at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale, replacing an injured Khabib Nurmagomedov.[41] After a back-and-forth first round that saw Ferguson docked one point due to an illegal upkick, Barboza lost the fight via submission in the second round.[42] Subsequently, both fighters earned Fight of the Night honors.[43]"
Exactly just what i told you no lowblow lol it was a upkick. Thanks for proving my point. Up kick had nothing to with the outcome. Tony pressure was simply to much for Barboza. Tony pressure had Barboza shooting for takedowns.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

low blow or upkick, whats important is that it was an illegal blow.

Ask Oleg or Jacare about it.
You cant compare that upkick to this one lol. Jacare was kicked unconscious lol. You're clearly trolling at this point. Have a nice day. I have no interest in Tony vs Barboza because he decisively beat him already. Tony vs Khabib for gold should be the only fight hes taking.

Lol at people thinking Edson should rematch Tony makes no sense he's literally already part of Tony's streak. This fight makes 0 sense, when is Gaethje fighting Johnson? I'd much rather see the winner of that one fight Tony, I'd bank on either guy to starch Tony. Plus Gaethje vs Tony would be fireworks, and Michael was the last guy to beat Tony.

I just want new match ups. Edson should fight Khabib honestly, I'd like to see how Khabib deals with a striker of Edsons caliber. Tony should just get his damn shot in all honesty too, dude has more than earned it.

Dunno, but a) I'd watch the shit outta it and b) it'd be a fantastic fight that produces a title-eliminator dude. Winner could face Khabib while Ferguson fights McGregor.

Back