Should the fighter be able to pick his fights or should the UFC have blank contracts?

Qwerty1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I realize, it would be tough because they could rip guys off, but Chael said it is what Bellator has done. Who knows if its true. I think this would be good for all combat sports for the fans, but terrible for the fighters.

If the UFC could assign them any fight they wanted (blank contract) without the fighter first agreeing to it, then this would be more like being an employee of the UFC as opposed to an independent contractor.

Who knows as anything is negotiable, but if the UFC wanted to negotiate with me a blank contract where I had no say onwho I fought, then I would be demanding more money since this uncertainty could potentially hurt my career.

what do you mean by "blank contracts"? do you mean when UFC calls a fighter, a fighter either takes the bout offered on the date offered or is cut?

if so, i would love to see or hear a source where Sonnen says this is how Bellator does it.

It depends on the trustworthiness of the org. If they're setting up the most logical matches and not shafting people, it means good fights with no ducking. If the org is unscrupulous, it means people get screwed.

what do you mean by "blank contracts"? do you mean when UFC calls a fighter, a fighter either takes the bout offered on the date offered or is cut?

if so, i would love to see or hear a source where Sonnen says this is how Bellator does it.

Rumor is Matthead signed a fight without knowing he was going to get Fedor

It depends on the trustworthiness of the org. If they're setting up the most logical matches and not shafting people, it means good fights with no ducking. If the org is unscrupulous, it means people get screwed.

yup, we could get Conor vs Cucuy or Penn vs Rumble
You never know with those fookers

The guy could always fake an injury or something so I guess it could be bad for the org.

No other sports org in general allows players to pick their own opposition. The Cleveland Browns just can't decide not to play the Steelers for example just b/c it's not in their own best interest. You play who the org. tells you to play.

Back