should the EU sanction Trump's companies? could they?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ump-sanction-companies?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Dear Europe, if you want to stop Trump, sanction his companies

Essentially, Europe has failed to understand that Trump cares more about himself than his country. Like a dictator of a developing country, Trump is less concerned with the prosperity of American families or the country as a whole than with enriching himself and his family businesses.

For example, while Europe tried to salvage the Iran nuclear deal – an arms control agreement that made the world safer – Trump strung Europe along for months, misleading European partners that a compromise on the nuclear deal could be found when he had already made his decision months prior to kill the hard-fought agreement.

Counter-tariffs, clawback sanctions and other economic tools that Europe is considering are hardly sustainable, unlikely to force Trump to back down and will damage both the European Union and US economies. Perhaps more importantly, these economic measures will inflict hardship on millions of American workers who don’t support Trump’s agenda. Trump may even benefit from a rally-round-the-flag effect that often accompanies broad economic sanctions.

A more effective approach would be to target Trump’s wallet. There are countless examples of how Trump is blatantly using the presidency to enrich himself. His controversial tax reform will reportedly save him and his family hundreds of millions of dollars. His son-in-law’s family openly uses their connection to Trump as a selling point to entice investors in China. His state department has publicly promoted Trump-owned private clubs. Foreign embassies have concluded that if they want access to Trump they should stay at his hotel in Washington. Curiously, Ivanka Trump secured seven trademarks in China around the same time Trump eased fines on a major Chinese telecommunications company. Most recently, Trump directed the commerce department to resolve its issues with sanctioned Chinese telecommunications company ZTE just two days after China floated a $500m loan to developers working on a Trump project.

Sanction Trump’s own companies and bar them from the EU market. For example, the EU and member states could prohibit officials from staying or holding events at Trump properties, or block the use of European money in financing Trump business and development deals. Just moving ahead on the planned placement of windmills near his Scottish golf course might be more likely to get Trump’s attention than a tax on motorcycles.

Targeting Trump’s companies is a more moral strategy. Broad sanctions and tariffs have high cost to the US and the EU, but little cost to Trump. Targeting Trump’s companies has little cost to the EU and US economies, but a high cost to Trump. Moreover, it will deprive Trump of any rally-round-the-flag-effect that broad sanctions tend to generate. In fact, if he tries to escalate, Americans would see that Trump is risking the broader US economy just to protect his own wealth.

I thought this was an interesting read. Full article at link. If you want to read more about the stories in the emboldened portion, click on the article to see the hyperlinks that didn't transfer in my copy and paste.

Personally, i think it's a hilarious idea, but I'm interested in seeing what happens after the retaliatory tariffs of Canada, Mexico, the EU and China specifically target Trump-voting states.

It would probably pretty easy for EU to legally sanction Trump considering his business dealings with crooked Russian oligarchs. Years before he became president, he was barred from doing business in Australia because of his connections with organized crime.

We should sanction his companies too

Whats his business presence in europe? As far as i know its really only 3 golf courses and im not sure how you tariff golf -- add in a surcharge to the golfers?

Theres no other properties as far as i can tell and not sure what products under his line are sold there / their revenue
trump%20international_3.jpg

Whats his business presence in europe? As far as i know its really only 3 golf courses and im not sure how you tariff golf -- add in a surcharge to the golfers?

Theres no other properties as far as i can tell and not sure what products under his line are sold there / their revenue
Well... That's how that goes.

If EU could ban banks from doing business with Trump, it might have a huge impact. The only loan he could get was from a German bank after all his bankruptcies.

I'm sure there is EU money heading towards Trump that could be disrupted.

EDIT: I just realized he took care of this himself after he refused to pay back his loan and fucked them over.

Last edited:
If EU could ban banks from doing business with Trump, it might have a huge impact. The only loan he could get was from a German bank after all his bankruptcies.

I'm sure there is EU money heading towards Trump that could be disrupted.

Maybe, but its a shitty article for the guardian to run without hard examples.

yes they should and yes they could

Personally attacking the finances of the US president is a sure way to burn bridges with the US long term.

Personally attacking the finances of the US president is a sure way to burn bridges with the US long term.
in what way? its a way to show the American people that the EU is not attacking them, but Trump personally. Or do you right wing nutballs take an attack on Trumps finances as an attack on the country?

Are you sure? This is the entire reason presidents divest: so they're not vulnerable.
No, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure.

Also, I think president's divest more to avoid conflict of interest.

I think if the Germans tried to single out Trump specifically for sanctions, it would be inviting a much more ruinous and bitter trade war than what w e have going on right ow and I think it would create long term diplomatic damage. I'd advise against it. Maybe we'll see them try, who knows, but I doubt it.

in what way? its a way to show the American people that the EU is not attacking them, but Trump personally. Or do you right wing nutballs take an attack on Trumps finances as an attack on the country?
We aren't attacking you, just your elected representatives. Good luck with that.

We aren't attacking you, just your elected representatives. Good luck with that.
in what way is starting a trade war not attacking EU citizens? the costs will get passed down onto us.... stop being naive Inga.

But NK will be toothless because they're dismantling their missiles. Maybe Trump will sic world peace on them (tip of the hat to @JamesRussler for that gem).

It takes some nerve to make a facetious comment like that. I'm genuinely curious – are you upset about North Korea agreeing to denuclearize or something? Did you have something else in mind? Please, enlighten me.

It takes some nerve to make a facetious comment like that. I'm genuinely curious – are you upset about North Korea agreeing to denuclearize or something? Did you have something else in mind? Please, enlighten me.
none of that happened

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back