Should the bag swing when you are hitting it?

Corrosion

Creonte
@purple
Reaction score
I'm asking because some posters in another thread said that if the bag is swinging while you are punching it, you aren't "snapping" with your punches, you're "pushing".

I'm a relative newbie to boxing, and the bag always moves when I hit it. I've never thought about it until now.

I've always been told what you've said--it shouldn't swing because you're pushing it if you do.

I liken it to ringing a bell: when you ring the bell, you strike it with a mallet and the bell vibrates, reverberates, etc. If you strike the mallet but hold the mallet against the bell, the bell doesn't "ding" for very long--the force has been reabsorbed through the mallet and your arm. I'm no physics expert, but that makees some sense to me.

Depends on the bag. Lighter bags will obviously swing more than heavier ones. But bags will swing when you hit them. It's inevitable.

some people here have never hit a bag.

Just thinking about it logically, you are applying a force to the bag via your punch so it only makes sense that the bag is going to move somewhat and would move more the harder you hit it. I don't have a lot of experience so maybe some swing is okay but wildly swinging isn't?

Well I'm not saying the bag will stay still like a brick. I'm talking more about it flailing around.

It shouldn't swing off one or two punches

But eventually its going to move regardless

why wouldn't it move? Your hitting it...ofcourse its going to move.

Hince why people "hold" the bag for you and also why you can work slips, movement with a bag.

Obviously when you hit something it's gonna move. However your goal shouldn't be to push the bag around as much as you can. Just because your punches have a lot of push on them don't necessarily mean they have a lot of power.

The kind of shots that have a lot of power behind them are the shots that kind of cause the bag to cave a bit and wobble rather than swing it around like a kid on a playground. It's easier to notice this when your kicking a bag.

I'm asking because some posters in another thread said that if the bag is swinging while you are punching it, you aren't "snapping" with your punches, you're "pushing".
I'm a relative newbie to boxing, and the bag always moves when I hit it. I've never thought about it until now.

I have been told this as well. But if you are constantly hitting the bag, it is eventually going to move.

Well, if you're working on pure technique you kind of don't want the bag to move, so you have a guy hold it for you. I mean, kind of annoying having a bag sway around while you're practicing hip rotation in your kick.

unless your hitting a real heavy bag (200pds or more) it is going to swing a little.

A better guage to know if you are throwing punches correctly is the sound it makes when you hit the bag. if it is a thud, without the bag chains clanking together, your pushing the bag. If it is crisp and a proper punch, it should sound more like a pop, and the chains will likely clank. if any of that makes sense? best way i could describe it. this would not be as applicable to a nylon bag. video below, i made it about 7months ago.

(volume is a little low, but maybe it will help..... 70pd bag)
YouTube - Boxing with some Knees Elbows Heavy Bag.

(volume is a little low, but maybe it will help..... 70pd bag)
Dec 08

Side note: Everybody who's training at home, watching ssullivan80's video - tape that grid he has to your floor. A VERY good addition to a home gym for tuning your footwork, pivots, distancing, etc. etc.

Yeah, that first vid was as bit puzzling in the context of the thread... :)

Nice work, you've got some quick hands there.

Thanks!

yeah it was! could not open the video from work computer, i guessed! guessed wrong obviously! :D

If you are hitting a heavy bag and it doesn't swing. You're not hitting it right. A heavy bag is for training power. If you don't have the power to move a 100 lbs bag you better never hit a 175lb guy in a bar.

You need to control the bag. It shouldn't be allowed to swing wildly, but without you controlling the swing you should be hitting it hard enough that would.

Check out this video for an example You can see how he uses his elbows to control the swing and also how he times his punches to stop the swing of the bag.

YouTube - Heavybag - combinations

It should pop a little when you use hands. It will ultimately move. It will especially move with kicks unless the bag is coming back at you and you drive something into it and stop it in it's track.

If you are trained and throw a single power punch, the bag should pop or bounce but stay in place. It will sway at the bottom.

If you are hitting a heavy bag and it doesn't swing. You're not hitting it right. A heavy bag is for training power. If you don't have the power to move a 100 lbs bag you better never hit a 175lb guy in a bar.

YouTube - Heavybag - combinations

I don't think that is necessarily true. It can be very usefull to learn to hit the bag and keep it from swinging much (if at all with a 100lb bag). Helps you develop the ability to flurry your punches without overcommiting, also good for learning muscle memory to develop feints. However, if your practing power punching, the bag will swing........ in most cases.

You should probably never hit a guy in a bar regardless, but hitting an opponent vs a bag is very different. Doesnt take much on a punch to get KTFO, if placement is correct or opponent is caught off guard, they are on there ass.

Back