Should the 170 division be split into 165 and 175?

I agree with ts.. have always thought the gap between WW and MW was too large. Would be perfect for the slightly more muscular guys who aren't complete manlets but at the same time aren't 6'3 giants like some of the guys at middleweight.

I think it makes sense because :

- it will create a whole new division with a new belt (more $ for the UFC)
- gives the bigger lws who struggle to make weight like khabib, kevin Lee, etc. a chance to move up to 165
- reduces the weight gap b/t welterweight and middleweight
- allows big wws like till and others a chance to move up to another division that is closer to their ideal weight
- creates more opportunities for the lightweights and welterweights who are waiting for Conor and Tyron a chance to fight for a belt

You can give Tyron an opportunity to choose to be either the 165 or 175 champion if this happens as well and then get some contenders to fight for the other belt. I think the UFC really should consider this option.

Thoughts?

I think it is a bad idea imo.. this will make the division very thin and water down more ppvs with shitty title fights and no contenders.. kinda like wbw and the holm cyborg situation

No. It's a terrible idea. More divisions suck. They are already shallow. The belts just become garbage because everyone jumps all over the place. We need less divisions.
WW and LW are the deepest divisions in MMA, 170 is probably the division with the most prospects you can easily split it to 165 and 175 without making them shallow plus you got guys like Khabib and Lee from LW which would move up to 165 in a heartbeat if it is made.

From a long-term perspective it's the right call to make imho as having more divisions reduces the need to cut a lot for weight for fighters.

No too many divisions as it is

There should be 4 divisions

Hw

N that’s it
Lmao ridiculous post given that BW and FW are great divisions. The more divisions the better as it reduces the need to cut weight plus more titles = more big fights = more PPVs. This is not the equivalent of making a 145 women's weight class for Cyborg, this could benefit a lot of male fighters in the UFC. Guys like Khabib and Lee would do anything for a 165 division.

I think it is a bad idea imo.. this will make the division very thin and water down more ppvs with shitty title fights and no contenders.. kinda like wbw and the holm cyborg situation
This is not the equivalent of the Cyborg situation dude wtf lol. They made the 145 women's division solely for Cyborg, there's literally nobody in it besides her and Holly. Also how many female fighters are there who fight at 145 in the world? It's a division that has little demand besides Cyborg. For the 165 and 175 divisions you have hundreds of male fighters in WW and LW alone who can go to the new divisions.

We've had 2 new weight classes for the female division which let's face it doesn't deserve it. There is very little demand for WMMA compared to MMA and plus there are way less female fighters whereas we have hundreds of fighters in the UFC who can compete in the new divisions.

I like it the way it is
So you like the fact that Khabib and Lee can barely make weight at 155 and are putting their life at risk just to fight in that division because there is no 165 option and 170 is full of people who outsize them?

Yes. They are literally the most stacked divisions. This would not hurt them in the slightest.

yes. and there is no reasonable argument against it. there are tons of guys who would benefit like that like RDA kevin lee masvidal cerrone khabib gastelum till and others. also 155 and 170 are pretty fat so you can create another division between them that they will still go strong

I think it makes sense because :

- it will create a whole new division with a new belt (more $ for the UFC)
- gives the bigger lws who struggle to make weight like khabib, kevin Lee, etc. a chance to move up to 165
- reduces the weight gap b/t welterweight and middleweight
- allows big wws like till and others a chance to move up to another division that is closer to their ideal weight
- creates more opportunities for the lightweights and welterweights who are waiting for Conor and Tyron a chance to fight for a belt

You can give Tyron an opportunity to choose to be either the 165 or 175 champion if this happens as well and then get some contenders to fight for the other belt. I think the UFC really should consider this option.

Thoughts?
This is the best time to do it. GSP is the old 170 champion and Tyron Woodley is the new 170 champion, and they could fight for the new 175 championship.

The UFC continues to drop the ball on great opportunities. I thought they were about big fights. LOL

No thanks, I'm not interested in having hundreds of champs in weight classes, it would be one of the dumbest things the UFC/MMA could do. Boxing does things right but having a gazillion weight classes makes no sense.

Back