should obesity be illegal?

There isn't much point in punishing what's already done. Obese people often have insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, their bodies' processes are fundamentally out of whack. Even if you locked them up in a fat camp, their metabolism would rebel against the drastic change and they would put the weight back on after leaving (see the Biggest Loser study). Taxing them would be taxing people who are already down and who may never be able to get back up.

The average individual is not very extraordinary, by definition. You put an average person in an environment that will make them obese if they let it happen, they will let it happen. If you look at the US, it's an environment full of sensory food cues (constant advertising, fast food restaurants at every corner), processed foods, huge portions, sugary drinks and treats, bad peer pressure. Being able to stay slim in an environment like that requires that the individual expend constant energy and attention to make sure that they don't become fat, it basically requires an above-average individual. I think it's stupid when people make arguments that corporations should be able to sell whatever they want, advertise as much as they want, that there should be no government regulation on sugar, etc, that responsibility should only be placed on the individual. That's a fantasy, it's a fantasy that every individual is able to swim against the waves, resist soda drinks, resist fast food, resist advertising, a fantasy that every person is an extraordinary individual. A good system needs to take human failure into account, it needs to take the weakest link into account. You want to stop the obesity epidemic, you have to change the environment.

The root cause of obesity is Sugar. get rid of that instead.

Actually, it doesn't. Outside of rare disorders, people aren't born fat. Maybe some people have more of a predisposition to gain weight than others but that still doesn't mean they are genetically destined for fatness.

It just means they might have to be a little more diligent about what and how much they eat.

By and large, the biggest reason that people are morbidly obese is because they eat WAY the fuck too much and don't do shit.

Put people on that "naked and afraid" show... what happens? They all lose 20-30 lbs in 3 weeks. Go to some impoverished country, or even a place with healthier more moderate cuisine and you'll find almost zero obesity.

Burn more calories than you consume and the SCIENCE will show that you lose weight.

So sorry, you don't have an excuse for being pudgy my friend.
Studies are showing obesity is a metabolic hormonal defect.
Its not that they eat too much its what they is the problem.
Way too much of our food is filled with refined sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.
You can be as lazy as you want and eat vegetables all day and still be relatively healthy.

Fat people should exercise if anything to be easier on the eyes.

Why do you want to punish the president like that?

Not exactly, really its going over the allocated caloric intake. Sugar is carbs, fats are more of the reason why. Fats are 2x the amount of carbs and its easier to overdo it with fats. Alcohol as well, 2x the amount of carbs/protein, and is empty giving no nutrients

suicide being illegal is a great injustice. I hear a good percentage of suicide criminals are put to death.

As for obesity. I wish there werent so many fat asses but that ideal of applying healthy diet by policy conflicts with most of my values. You just got to hope that aspect of our culture changes with awareness and promotion of not so much healthy eating(especially no vegan shit) but not stuffing your face virtually everyday with fast food combos.

Kind of like cigarettes used to be cool but now far less people smoke them

Hey man I was on the O Line in school at least I contributed to society with my obesity

The root cause of obesity is consuming more calories than you burn. You can eat nothing but Twinkies and be a healthy weight as long as your energy output is high enough to offset the caloric intake. Banning sugar is asinine and pointless since people would just overeat other carbohydrates, fats, and proteins and continue to be obese.

Not exactly, really its going over the allocated caloric intake. Sugar is carbs, fats are more of the reason why. Fats are 2x the amount of carbs and its easier to overdo it with fats. Alcohol as well, 2x the amount of carbs/protein, and is empty giving no nutrients

I disagree, I eat a high fat diet, I don't put on any fat. Give me a few weeks of crap with refined sugar in it, ill balloon up.

Sugar is the biggest cancer on society. Fats are good for you.

Self inflicting harm is illegal like suicide, and drug abuse. So..should obesity be illegal too? Should they make it so you can't be over a certain BMI or fat percentage? Of course, some body builders will be considered obese in the BMI index but they have 0 fat. So there should obviously be exceptions.

But if your BMI is 30+ and 50% body fat, then there is something wrong with you. Especially those who are so fat that they are considered disabled and have to go around walmart in a wheelchair.

Should the government intervene and fine these fat fucks for self neglect? I would love to hear the SJWs opinion.

What then? Most obese have some serious emotional disorders that make loosing weight impossible. They need help, and fining them wont help them. They can learn to adapt to a mere fine.. What is needed is serious government funding into research and treatment.

Treat the emotional disorder, and you will go a long way to treating the obesity. Then it is a matter of breaking the ritualized eating, and finding workouts that wont actually be physically detrimental to them, and finding a caloric deficit that works..

If you implement the fine, do you continue to punish those that are under supervision and loosing weight yet are a hell of a long way from not being obese?

as long as its proportional to overall wealth..... Trumps would be millions if thats the case lol

just joking, thats a dumb idea

sugary foods are as addictive as many illegal drugs. ill throw that into the convo
I tried to do the "Whole30" challenge with my wife last fall. We made it about 4 days but were ready to snap into a murderous rage at day 2. Anyone who doubts how powerful sugar is should give it a try. It's not just sweets, its sugars in carbs, too. You don't realize how much of a grip it has on you until you try to cut it off.

We already are dealing with prison overpopulation.

Back