should I try pain techniques in bjj

Why don't you work on something else. You know that you can get the knuckle rub, so let it go and get something else down. Or, your goals could be to tap everyone at your gym with the same old stuff everytime.

Why don't you work on something else. You know that you can get the knuckle rub, so let it go and get something else down. Or, your goals could be to tap everyone at your gym with the same old stuff everytime.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

You use "pain techniques" against your own club guys?

And you've done it all the way to a brown belt?

WACK!

You a fan of the movie, or the swastika?

Regardless of what you say, I will probably think both. No-one would put that in their avatar unless they were racist pricks.

The movie was great, but too many people ignore the ACTUAL point of the movie, which wasn't to sensationalize the white power movement etc.

well some guys it won't bother at all since you can get used to it over time. but if your going against someone that you are way better than just tap them some other way

well if theye training specifically for competition it is alright to put them in such a situation

In a wrestling club, guys go at it with headbuts and thumbs in the throat andshit. because everyone there is for competition... not for exercise or advanicing in rank or w/e other martial artist want to achieve by going to class.

if theyre there for fun, then I wouldnt do it

I say dont got for it. If you are tring to open up for the choke try to open them up different ways. Like try to guide the head with your forearm up on their forehead, etc.

The knuckles to the hinges of the jaw is a horrible thing to do to partners. In a big tournament, sure go for it. But to your "friend" and training "partners" I would never do it,.

When I first started Judo about four years ago we learned that right off the bat and then everyone was going for it. Worse few weeks until people started forgetting it while learning different techs.

I wonder if you could cause alot of damage that way to if you put enough pressure on the hinges. During a tournament (the third place match) the guy beat me with a baseball choke across the jaw line. I tried to fight through it but it ended up dislocating my jaw and causing me problems for nearly a year. It would clack all the time, get stuck all the time, and generally be kind of painful. I know the knuckles on the jaw aren't the same but I wonder if you could cause inflammation there and maybe knock it out of alignment.

Im a brown belt in judo and during newaza whenever I get anyones back I pretty much just rub my knuckles along there jaw line to open up a passage to there neck. Even though this is acceptable in my club would it be ok to do in bjj?

Probably depends on your training partner - some people won't mind, others will. Remember, you'll most likely be rolling with these men and women for a long time to come, so it would be sensible to build up a good working relationship. You don't want to piss all your classmates off, as then nobody wants to roll with you. A good training partner makes a massive difference in improving your BJJ, so you want to hold onto them when you find one.

As mentioned in this thread, things may be different in competition. Although personally, in competition or in class (though I'd note I've only competed once), I try to avoid anything 'dirty', as I want to be sure that when I manage to get anything to 'work' in BJJ, its because I've got the technique right, not because my stubble was raking their face or something.

If the guys your rolling with are going to compete then your doing them a favor if you do. I've been in a few dozen tournements and my biggest wake up call was going up against wrestlers with maybe 2 years of BJJ and 10 years of wrestling. They all do that sort of stuff and its better to learn in practice than at toruney from a olympiic alternate...

The worst shit ever is when guys (specifically pure wrestlers) go for arm triangles, fail, and just keep going. No choke, or anything near, just a straight neck crank.

I say dont got for it. If you are tring to open up for the choke try to open them up different ways. Like try to guide the head with your forearm up on their forehead, etc.

The knuckles to the hinges of the jaw is a horrible thing to do to partners. In a big tournament, sure go for it. But to your "friend" and training "partners" I would never do it,.

When I first started Judo about four years ago we learned that right off the bat and then everyone was going for it. Worse few weeks until people started forgetting it while learning different techs.

I wonder if you could cause alot of damage that way to if you put enough pressure on the hinges. During a tournament (the third place match) the guy beat me with a baseball choke across the jaw line. I tried to fight through it but it ended up dislocating my jaw and causing me problems for nearly a year. It would clack all the time, get stuck all the time, and generally be kind of painful. I know the knuckles on the jaw aren't the same but I wonder if you could cause inflammation there and maybe knock it out of alignment.

ouch thats got to suck

I guess its alright but don't be surprised by "accidental" head butts or elbows...

One more thing: you're a brown belt relying on "pain techniques" to open up an opponent..? That's a little unusual.

Kind of a shitty move to use against a training partner. Competition is another story though.

I enjoy that kind of rolling I guess im in the minority. Training partners doing it on me defintely made me get a higher tolerence for pain

Not really a pain technique, but I was in one sub fight that the guy in my guard just kept trying to basically wipe his hands allover my face and mouth......

Hate that nasty crap......I just gave him one of these from the bottom:icon_twis
.....and swept him.....:icon_lol:

Back