Should I go see Skyscraper or The Equalizer 2 this afternoon?

???

• Total voters
Skyscraper it is

RifjhTD.jpg

Bad news brah. You can't go. I printed this out, went to the movies, and they scanned your barcode. Pretty good movie.

Owned.

You really should. I thought that the first Equalizer was pretty bad ass. That is a great character for Denzel Washington.

Made it 40 minutes in. Setup wasn't terrible; basic story, although the production, direction & music are all pretty cheesy. Denzel has enough charisma to make the beginning watchable. Once the first action scene finally happened though, it was so unbelievably bad as to be ridiculous. Cheesy beyond acceptable limits; this is as stupid as the worst Steven Seagal movies, just with a better actor stuck in there. I'm out.

I have a feeling they wanted to call "Skyscraper" "Towering Inferno" but Paul Newman and the ghost of Steve McQueen told them to cut the shit, that should tell you all you need to know.

Are you under the impression that Paul Newman is still alive?

Made it 40 minutes in. Setup wasn't terrible; basic story, although the production, direction & music are all pretty cheesy. Denzel has enough charisma to make the beginning watchable. Once the first action scene finally happened though, it was so unbelievably bad as to be ridiculous. Cheesy beyond acceptable limits; this is as stupid as the worst Steven Seagal movies, just with a better actor stuck in there. I'm out.

Damn, that's harsh bro.

Damn, that's harsh bro.

I mean, look at how objectively horrible this is. The movie tries to be real for the first 40 minutes, painting Denzel as a kind of classy, older Travis Bickle; and then all of a sudden they hit me with this shit, that looks like how an 11 year old would picture a fight.

I would love it if they had made something gritty & remotely realistic, which was what the movie was acting like it was trying to be, before turning into this completely cheesy bullshit.

I mean, look at how objectively horrible this is. The movie tries to be real for the first 40 minutes, painting Denzel as a kind of classy, older Travis Bickle; and then all of a sudden they hit me with this shit, that looks like how an 11 year old would picture a fight.

I would love it if they had made something gritty & remotely realistic, which was what the movie was acting like it was trying to be, before turning into this completely cheesy bullshit.

Call me crazy but I liked it. I've seen several attempts at the "guy sees the fight play out before it happens" and this is one of the better versions. Did you think the movie was THAT realistic and gritty (as opposed to corny) at the start when Denzel was making friends with some young sko hooker that hopes to be a singer? That's like some Coyote Ugly silliness.

I'm a Big Rock Johnson fan (just saying that sounds gay) but Skyscraper is a poor man's Die Hard with more money in the budget go figure that one out...

Call me crazy but I liked it. I've seen several attempts at the "guy sees the fight play out before it happens" and this is one of the better versions. Did you think the movie was THAT realistic and gritty (as opposed to corny) at the start when Denzel was making friends with some young sko hooker that hopes to be a singer? That's like some Coyote Ugly silliness.

I thought it was somewhat cheesy at the beginning too, but like I said Denzel's sheer charisma was still making it tolerable for me. Once the fight finally broke out though and he turned into Max Payne slowing down time & Neo in the Matrix, that shit went completely off the rails.

Thing is, a story about a slick old guy taking out a Russian gang, in a smartly written way, would have been far more compelling. Instead, it was 'hey, let's just make him a super hero all of a sudden. He just looks around, and uh... sees through the space / time continuum... or something.' Fuck whoever made this shit

I thought it was somewhat cheesy at the beginning too, but like I said Denzel's sheer charisma was still making it tolerable for me. Once the fight finally broke out though and he turned into Max Payne slowing down time & Neo in the Matrix, that shit went completely off the rails.

Thing is, a story about a slick old guy taking out a Russian gang, in a smartly written way, would have been far more compelling. Instead, it was 'hey, let's just make him a super hero all of a sudden. He just looks around, and uh... sees through the space / time continuum... or something.' Fuck whoever made this shit.

Antoine Fuqua.

Equalizer 2 brah and it ain't even close. The rock can only make shitty movies...so unless you like watching shitty movies then I suggest you go watch Equalizer 2, imho...

They're both action, summer flicks that don't require any thought.
Denzel and Rock always make entertaining movies.
Denzel is obviously much much better, but Rock always at least has a decent performance in whatever he does.

His movie career fucks me up though. He's getting a ton of money doing these goofball movies, but I don't understand why he never does any solid action movies. He's working on Jumanji 2 for fucks sake

I don't begrudge him Jumanji at all. One of his most successful movies ever and supposedly it's also good. Considering I didn't find the first one with the legend Robin Williams more than passably decent, I wasn't surprised that some voices were saying the recent one was superior. I'll check it out some time.

But your point is well taken. It would be nice to see him branch out a bit more. I'm a big fan of the guy but it's clear that hes sticking in a particular wheelhouse at this point. I'd actually like to see him do some more serious roles. Why can't The Rock work with a Scorsese or a Fincher, you know?

Fuqua actually strikes me as one of the more underrated filmmaker out there right now. The guy has delivered the goods on multiple occasions and he is showing no signs of slowing down.

Skyscraper is a Die Hard knockoff, but people might forget that Fuqua did his own Die Hard knockoff that I thought was quite entertaining for a violent, visceral R-rated action picture- Olympus Has Fallen.

Magnificent Seven was so much more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Sometimes when you remake a classic (which is in and of itself a remake), you can really screw the pooch but I thought that movie was awesome and you could see the quality of Fuqua's work. The visuals, the tension that was drummed up particularly in the first scene where the seven work as a cohesive unit to take the town from Bogue's plants and the crooked sheriff. It just worked very well.

Equalizer is a good example of solid recent work from him too. Not Denzel's best film by a country mile, but certainly an entertaining badass action film.

Not to mention Fuqua is also responsible for Training Day, which I'd say is one of the more memorable films from the first couple of years of the 2000s and certainly one of Denzel's and one of Hawke's best performances.

Equalizer looks dumb. Denzel as a captain save a ho lyft driver is hilarious. Who comes up with this shit.

People who just watched a Liam Neeson movie?

The only films of the Rock that were actually good were Rundown, walking tall, fast five, and Jumanji

Everything else is mediocre or sucks
The rock was 100 times better when he had hair. He was still a big jacked guy but not ridiculously stupid looking like he is now.

Walking tall was awesome.

I went to the movies yesterday. 6 films in the theater. 5 were Sequels and one was a knock off of Die Hard.

Watched Jurassic Park.

It was stupid.

Character in the movie: "Please take me seriously, I'm a paleo-veterinarian."

Her side-kick: "Have you ever seen a dinosaur before?"

Character in the movie: "No."

Audience: "How the heck can you be a doctor (a surgeon no less) to animals you have never actually seen?"

Hi, please take me seriously, I'm a Polar Bear Psychologist.

equalizer 2.

I'm waiting on the new m:I before I go to the theater.

Back