Should I burn my bridges?

G

greenocelot

Hi guys, its good to talk to you again. I am halfway across the world.

I have a quick but weird question. My instructor was not very nice; e.g. he held people back on purpose and told them he did; he gave belts to people who were his bosses from work but who hardly trained, as opposed to people who always trained; he said something like, he made fun of people in the class.

If you know me, I stand up to people who are jerks, but never did so, because he is my instructor. Anyway, I still like the guys at the academy. Anyway, do you think I should tell him off for being a jerk to everyone or should I just let it go? What would you do?

I obviously don't know everything about your situation, but what would "telling him off" accomplish other than making yourself feel better for a short time? I'm not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question.

Just leave and don't talk shit. That's just going to potentially make drama follow you to your next school. If you are worried about the other students, leaving is a good way to set an example and they will probably have their own discussion whether they want to be in that environment.

he held people back on purpose and told them he did; he gave belts to people who were his bosses from work but who hardly trained

I wonder how you got your brown belt with instructor like this one. Are you his boss?

If you expect that to be different at other clubs you might be surprised.

You guys are probably right. When I left Colorado, I think maybe I started a new life, although I am the same person.

It's just that I am so sick of people who are bullies, that have absolutely no merit, but hold weird power over people because they did something for a long time. Not because they earned anything. And they are bullies in real life. I don't like people like this. I try to stick up for others. I do not like cowardly people who put down or bully others because they are so unhappy with there own lives.

Just an example, I had a teacher in 7th grade who made fun of me because I am quiet, she said to the entire class, to another teacher, "you are going to have trouble with this one." So once I graduated from university, I sent her an email and my graduating GPA that said something like, "this is for all of the students who were put down by small minded teachers."

My instructor was not very nice; e.g. he held people back on purpose and told them he did; he gave belts to people who were his bosses from work but who hardly trained, as opposed to people who always trained; he said something like, he made fun of people in the class.you do?

Belts are given by a black belt how he pleases. If he wants to give a brown belt for doing 500 sit ups it's his choice. If you want proof of skill just win a competition not ask other for validation.

Belts are given by a black belt how he pleases. If he wants to give a brown belt for doing 500 sit ups it's his choice. If you want proof of skill just win a competition not ask other for validation.
Hahaha, I honestly don't care. I think I might have just been bored.

You guys are probably right. When I left Colorado, I think maybe I started a new life, although I am the same person.

It's just that I am so sick of people who are bullies, that have absolutely no merit, but hold weird power over people because they did something for a long time. Not because they earned anything. And they are bullies in real life. I don't like people like this. I try to stick up for others. I do not like cowardly people who put down or bully others because they are so unhappy with there own lives.

Just an example, I had a teacher in 7th grade who made fun of me because I am quiet, she said to the entire class, to another teacher, "you are going to have trouble with this one." So once I graduated from university, I sent her an email and my graduating GPA that said something like, "this is for all of the students who were put down by small minded teachers."

That story from your 7th grade just kinda makes you sound vindictive and insecure. Quit lining your instructor's pocket with your hard earned money if you don't agree with his ethics. Go train somewhere else and if people ask why you left, be honest without sounded jaded and assmad.

That story from your 7th grade just kinda makes you sound vindictive and insecure. Quit lining your instructor's pocket with your hard earned money if you don't agree with his ethics. Go train somewhere else and if people ask why you left, be honest without sounded jaded and assmad.

I am halfway across the world. I haven't been there since early April

Just leave. If asked why, just say the other school is a better fit for you right now. "Telling people off" really doesn't accomplish much. If unhappy, its up to you to leave rather than the instructor to adjust how he runs business for more comfort for you.

Burning bridges is never a good practice. Bjj is a relatively small community and you never know who knows who. Just leave gracefully. I work in HR and this is the advice I always give to people when they are leaving a job they are unhappy with.

Burning bridges is never a good practice. Bjj is a relatively small community and you never know who knows who. Just leave gracefully. I work in HR and this is the advice I always give to people when they are leaving a job they are unhappy with.

What's the big deal of burning bridge's in this situation?

Instructor sounds like a tool who rewards his bosses with belts which means he is a bitch of a man.

Burning bridge's might earn him more respect from other instructors.

You still a brown belt?

If so. Just shut up and train.

You still a brown belt?

If so. Just shut up and train.

I disagree, as a brown belt you are qualified to question whether your instructor is a moral person or not (within the normal standards of bjj).

I disagree, as a brown belt you are qualified to question whether your instructor is a moral person or not (within the normal standards of bjj).

Ts is just better off training and focus on getting his bb and then move on and create a club to his "moral" standards.

Hi guys, thanks for all of your input, it was really helpful. Honestly, I don't care what he does or thinks, because I am not with his school anymore. But it is just sad to see people behave badly, treat others badly, and they never get called out on it. But I honestly don't care. Just honestly happy and excited about my new life.I might have maybe just wrote the thread because I was bored and waiting out the storm last night. :)

New pics
https://ibb.co/f6vv4k
https://ibb.co/bZoXjk
https://ibb.co/gwJXjk

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably more clever and more mature not to burn bridges and just leave gracefully and quietly, but sometimes you just gotta burn that fu5king bridge down! :D

It's probably more clever and more mature not to burn bridges and just leave gracefully and quietly, but sometimes you just gotta burn that fu5king bridge down! :D
:)
giphy.gif

...for being a jerk to everyone...

However, the problem with this is that other people may not even think they are being mistreated, so you might be trying to fix the injustice that lives mostly in your perception. It's OK to fight for yourself, but better not involve others.

Back