Should I become a surveyor?

Pferd

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'e recently read a few article that talked about how there would be a growning demand and job opportuniies for individuals trained in surveying and/or cartography/gis. There are a couple community colleges nearby that offer certificates or associate degrees in surveying and gis.since there have been a number
Of threads on the Mayberry asking for career advice., I thought it would be a good idea to ask others for advice about getting into this field. I think there was another forum member who had experience surveying.

You sound poor...

true

You need to look into your state requirements. There is without a doubt a shortage in my area. The problem is that you need to apprentice under another surveyor for a set length of time. On top of that, they are requiring a college degree. With those qualifications combined, it eliminates a lot of people. For one thing, not all surveyors are happy to let you apprentice under them as you become their competition. College grads aren't too happy apprenticing either and making shit money after they have their degree. Lastly, some people that would be interested do not have their degree.

In my state, a similar issue is going on with appraisers. Right now, the biggest delays into getting to closings is getting an appraisal. They have the same requirements in regards to a degree + apprenticeship.

Dont come by my house asking me shit.

To be a licensed surveyor, you first have to be a licensed civil engineer. Without a license, you will always be working for somebody else.

To be a licensed surveyor, you first have to be a licensed civil engineer. Without a license, you will always be working for somebody else.

This is not true in my state and I'm sure not true in several others.

This is not true in my state and I'm sure not true in several others.

@Oblivian is correct (at least in NJ.)
My father is a licensed surveyor but never completed his CE degree. If he had, he'd have gotten his PLS cert during that course work, though.

If you become a certified surveyor, you've always got a job somewhere. The best opportunities might require relocation and keep an eye out for firms that do a lot of work and/or are a subsidiary of a large developer. My father closed his doors and took a position with a firm that spent most of their time working for K Hovnanian, who build all over the Eastern US.

It can be fun and interesting work. I was in field crews throughout my younger days and it gave me an appreciation for the outdoors, the related business of real estate, rural and urban development, and virtuosity (mastering the simple things.) My grandfather's CE practice owed a lot of its success to simple lot surveys (and treating his sons like resigned vassals of a god-king but that's neither here nor there) but worked as a primary or sub on plenty of large projects, as well. I've been a part of developing oceanfront resorts, college campuses, train stations, industrial parks, rerouted sections of highway, etc. You can get a real sense of fulfillment and accomplishment and a connection to your surroundings.

Best of luck in whatever you do, man.

Research analysis doesn't exactly pay too well, you have to remember its work, so its not like you get to cherry pick which topics you enjoy, you have to do whatever the company or employer seeks.

Chick I dated last year basically works in that field. She isn't in a managerial position, and brings in around 34k with that job.

Back