Should I be worried about muscle?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by TheSupremeKing13, Mar 17, 2017.

1. TheSupremeKing13 White Belt

TheSupremeKing13
    My new wrestling coach keeps suggesting that I start bulking up as it helps burn the fat easier and that it will make me more fit overall. I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs. I compete at 152 for wrestling and 2 years ago I made 138 for a Jiu-Jitsu tournament, while a few months prior to it I was 160 lbs. I'm trying to lean out to a walk around weight of 155, because I really want to compete at 135. I have about 15% body fat and I haven't been able to really work out as much as I should have ever since wrestling ended. Is it better for me to lean out to 155 by doing cardio and conditioning or should I take his advice and do weight training?

2. jgarner Yellow Card

jgarner
    Personally I think at your age you shouldn't worry too much about your weight and worry about being as fit as you can be. Your coach has personal reasons for wanting you to sit at whatever weight he suggests. You need to find whatever weight works best for you, which is the weight that you have good cardio and are strongest pound for pound.

I would recommend that you start strength training and do cardio on the side. Get strong and don't worry about the size. If you start gaining too much muscle, then you can start dieting and increase your cardio. That will serve you best long term.

TheSupremeKing13 likes this.
  3. TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

TheeFaulted
    How competitive are you in High school wrestling? Would it be possible to qualify for the state tournament? Are you interested in wrestling in college?

4. TheSupremeKing13 White Belt

TheSupremeKing13
    I'm a senior, but I was a 2 time state champion as well as a runner up this year (I was informed that there was a 3 lb allowance on weight, but it was two so I didn't make weight for State finals). I've also competed and won in the NAGA Jiu-Jitsu competition. I'm a very high level grappler for my age, but I'm more concerned about my weight then anything. I'm considering wrestling in college if I do go.

5. MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

MandirigmaFit
    Do you want to be a world champion or Olympian? If that isn't a goal, then compete and walk around at whatever weight you want to; enjoy life.

That's my opinion.

corpse and TheSupremeKing13 like this.
  6. TheSupremeKing13 White Belt

TheSupremeKing13
    I'm looking to compete in MMA and going for the big dreams. I typically don't care much about weight cutting for jiu jitsu or wrestling, but when it comes to MMA I feel more confident in beating opponents when I cut the weight.

7. MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

MandirigmaFit
    My opinion is that you cut the least amount of weight as possible and maintain a lean-ish frame while you're an amateur and in a local promotion.

If you walk at 155 in the off-season, I would suggest fighting no lower than 145 and as high as 155.

tdluxon and TheSupremeKing13 like this.
  8. TheSupremeKing13 White Belt

TheSupremeKing13
    Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate.

9. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    Where's the competition stacked at? Can you make a weight where you'd be likely to dominate?

10. TheSupremeKing13 White Belt

TheSupremeKing13
    I can make 152 fairly easy, 145 is a bit more consuming, but I've been close to making 135 before and I'm not a strict dieter. I was thinking that maybe if I lean out more and start eating right, then I could make 135.

11. TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

TheeFaulted
    If you have the opportunity to wrestle in college do it. You'll still have time for MMA after you graduate, and you'll be in a much better situation to actually pay your bills. There are a large number of UFC champions who built their MMA career after they wrestled in college and graduated with a bachelors degree.

If you're a senior, you should be finalizing plans with a school right now if you want to make the wrestling team and get a decent scholarship. If you miss this opportunity in the next two months, that door may close for the rest of your life.

12. Sir GymTanLaundry Green Belt

Sir GymTanLaundry
    [​IMG]

bad seed and j123 like this.
  13. jgarner Yellow Card

jgarner

Truly made me laugh! It's pretty funny how that works. I'm sitting right in between 6'4 and 6'5 and there's definitely a lot more women that look my way because of my height. If I was like 5'8 or something, I wouldn't get half as many looks as I do. It's such a weird thing they care about. Women want tall men, and men want short women. I'm freaked out by a bitch that's like 5' 8" or taller.

14. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    lift weights with low volume, low reps, heavy weight and don't increase your calories. Pavel is probably the best guy to look at for gaining strength without gaining size. Especially if you're looking to supplement martial arts. I'd recommend Power to the People (mainly for poundage cycling) or Simple Strength (which focuses on strength programming for sports), which you can probably find for free if you're good with the internets.

puppybird likes this.
  15. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    I agree. If you go pro you may want to start weight cutting, but it's really hard on your body, not worth it for amateur competition

16. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    You should definitely wrestle in college. If you are 2 time state champ you should be able to find a school that will take you, you might even be able to get a scholarship

17. Midnighter Black Belt

Midnighter
    #triggered

Sir GymTanLaundry likes this.
  18. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    I don't know what your build is like, what your relative strength is like, and other factors that might dictate whether gaining muscle mass (and potentially competing at a heavier weight division) might be a good option for you. But bulking up because muscle mass because "it helps burn the fat easier and that it will make me more fit overall" makes no sense to me.

Having said that, if you're 165 at 15% BF it sounds like you could easily afford to gain a couple of pounds of lean body mass while dropping to around 10% BF and still make weight comfortably.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  19. Palis ♔ President of the War Room

Palis
    Muscle is a waste for sports. Muscle requires more energy and air. Basically, you're going to gas out quicker if you have more muscle. Best to try to shoot for 20% BF imo.

j123 likes this.
  20. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    This is true. Name almost any sport, and I can name a guy with almost no muscle who was good at that sport. Therefore, muscle has no place in sports.

Palis likes this.