Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?

Maia is ancient for a welterweight man. He's 40. Plus, even being ancient, he literally just fought for the title a year ago, and it was a well deserved title shot at that. He was on a seven fight win streak. A prime Shields would have beaten those same seven guys in my opinion, and who's to say he doesn't grab a decision over Woodley again, seeing as he's already beaten him.

Plus, I always viewed Shields' wrestling as better than Maia's.

Maia had the far superior BJJ, but Shields had the edge in wrestling.

Maia has better TD's imo. And I don't agree with your opinion of Shields beating the same 7 guys. I doubt he beats current day Woodley either, prime or not. Being 'Ancient' the 2015-2017 Maia was the best version we seen, similar to Werdum.

Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter
How many TwitGram followers does the fighter have in this scenario?

I also was expecting this thread to be about Brock. How do you feel about him getting a shot? I'm all for it because he sells a lot of ay oer views, and all I care about is how rich the real Ari Gold gets.

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter
Yes such dominant Champions should have that right!

Max Bless! get well

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is...

I like to think of things like this.....Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye.. And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

Post was going somewhere until you showed you were hating on a fighter. You had it, then lost it.

It's hard to take an attempt at a valid point, or topic for conversation serious when someone displays an blatantly obvious dislike for a fighter. Makes it a near moot point.

Depends on the champ. If a champ retires and lets say is 20-0 with 10+ defends. And retires because there was no competition. I would allow that champ. But it would be few and far between.

Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?
Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter

Why shouldn't he? Gsp has done a hell of a lot more as a mixed martial artist and competitor than, oh say, Brock Lesnar, who will be returning for another heavyweight title shot.

Dana has no problem bringing Brock back whenever it suits Brock, regardless of how long he's been away doing WWE, rankings, who's in line for a heavy weight title shot, or failed drug tests. The truth is Dana doesn't like GSP and never has. Dana likes fighters with with big mouths and cocky attitudes, people with personalities similar to his own. Dana loves the Mcgregors and Lesnars of the fight world. It's why Baroni was given chance after chance to come back and Fitch was sent packing and why Demetrious has never gotten any love from DW.

GSP is a class act. Dana is the opposite. Is GSP had been an egotistical mouthpiece, he wouldn't have had nearly as many problems with Dana.

In the mma world, there's a very short list of names who are the true greats who've accomplished more than anyone else. Boxing has its Tyson, Ali, Leonard, Hagler, etc. GSP will always be in the conversation of greatest of all time.

Dana telling GSP to pick a weight class? Imagine the boxing world telling Roy Jones jr to "pick a weight class". Dana pretends he could run boxing better, but he treats one of mma's very best, someone capable of winning a title in three weight classes, like shit.

You're unbiased and anyone who disagrees is silly and not being fair. Read it before.

Why waste your timing sending this out? It's not persuasive in anyway. It's posturing and a list of excuses.

I guess I'm the antithesis of people such as yourself, who attempt to appear unbiased while posing porous arguments for their favorite fighters. Anyone who disagrees with you is "posturing" and "not persuasive."

Excuses? Please cite anything in my post that isn't true. His finishing rate pre-and-post-Serra speaks for itself. Plus, for those of us who watched the fights without blinders on, it was plainly visible that GSP transformed from an exciting fighter to a dull point fighter.

GSP has said in interviews many times that pressure gets to him and that he hates fighting and is constantly afraid. I appreciate his earnestness, but my comments regarding his weakened mental state are fair. You can close your eyes and plug your ears all you want, but the words have come from GSP's own lips.

GSP has earned it.

Should every champion? No

Can a champion with a resume like gsp’s? Of course he can. That’s not even mentioning how big of a draw he is. Gsp is a top 2 goat candidate. He’s not a regular case. If anyone else did the same thing he’s done for as long as he’s done it, I’d have no problem with that too.

Thanks! Also congratulations on your TKO-win. I was watching froM Sweden.

Yes GSP is like Conor he gets special treatment because they draw special numbers, money talks and bullshit walks

Thanks! Also congratulations on your TKO-win. I was watching froM Sweden.
Awesome thank you, man. It was cool to see how many sherdoggers tuned in to watch that.

GSP is a Great. He has transcended being a mere “champ”. Guys with epic legacies can do things like that.

If Max does manage to pull off a GSP like title reign, then yes. And I would be pumped to see him do it

The rest of the scenario you paint is stupid. A lot of guys aren’t going to do this because they won’t have his legacy. His legacy is a near impossible feat and that is why he is special
I posted like seconds after you but pretty much the same thing. Kudos.

F056859C-EB46-4F5D-9C25-2A111AFD3C8D.jpeg
Incomparable in what way? Accolades? There are guys with that more title defenses. Talent? I think Woodley vs GSP are very comparable in that regard, but Tyron is less likely to be dominant because the division has evolved and caught up.

In what way is he incomparable?

Oh fuck off with this shit! It wasn't that long ago Robbie was champ. Woodley is an old man. I would take 2009s prime Alves, Fitch, GSP, Sheilds over Till, Colby, RDA and Woodley any day.

And skill for skill, you are delusional if you think Woodley is close to prime GSP. The only thing Woodley does better is KO power
I’m actually shocked woodley ever became champion and even more shocked he still is. It really shows how the top of the division fell off in recent years. I’m not saying this to shit on the guy, and not saying he’s a bad fighter or anything, but his losses speak for themselves. It’s not like he’s got way better since those either. He’s up there in age and is pretty much the same fighter he’s always been.

I hate when guys post large ugly .jpegs in the middle of threads
I’m actually shocked woodley ever became champion and even more shocked he still is. It really shows how the top of the division fell off in recent years. I’m not saying this to shit on the guy, and not saying he’s a bad fighter or anything, but his losses speak for themselves. It’s not like he’s got way better since those either. He’s up there in age and is pretty much the same fighter he’s always been.

Dude you could literally say the same thing about Lawler, except Lawler has way more losses. I'm no Tyron fan but I definitely feel he has improved since his strikeforce days. The guy outstruck Stephen Thompson, twice!

May I add GSP referred to Wonderboy as the best striker he had ever seen in his life.

10 title defences

19 straight wins

The GOAT does wut da fuq he wants!

Wait... You're asking "should every champ WITH A TITLE RUN COMPARATIVE TO YHAT OF GSP get treated like GSP?"

Yeah... Somehow I don't think that's a very pressing issue.

No.
Never.
A title contender must earn his way there.
Skipping all the guys who could have beaten you is number one bullshit.

Back