Should former Champion be able to come back after 4 year layoff and pick title fights as he pleases?

It's not so much that I blindly trust in DW. The man is a compulsive liar. However, everything with GSP is just a bit too convenient. He waits till Bisping becomes champ at 185 to return - a weight he alleges makes him feel uncomfortable - instead of returning to 170 to fight Woodley, a much tougher opponent. After winning, he claims that he has colitis so he doesn't have to defend against Whittaker.

GSP wanted a MW title. The opportunity was there, and to make good money with a popular fighter.

Pretend you don't hate this human being. What expectation do you have? You want him to wait for a tougher fight, because history will remember that MW championship as a better one? To appease his haters?

Of course a person takes a door that opens for them.

The truth is, the only people who thought GSP was going to defend that title, were the guys who wanted to hate on him for not doing so.

GSP's preoccupation with his legacy, ironically, has become a detriment to his career ever since Matt Serra knocked him silly. He's gone from a finisher to a decision machine who avoids and handpicks certain opponents in order to protect his reputation.

I think that's a fine conclusion, but I think it's lazy.

Ask yourself which of his opponents fought harder than he did. Fitch? Condit? It didn't go well. When wasn't GSP the aggressor in a fight? A lot of GSP opponents fought to survive and not get out classed/embarrassed.

Look at how a guy like Dan Hardy gets finished. In wild exchanges, going on offense. in the GSP fight he never goes on offense. Dan Hardy is fending off GSP for 25 mins. A millisecond different and Condit goes to sleep, not Hardy. That makes GSP a lousy fighter? No it doesn't. It makes him greater imo.

Last edited:
If you one-sidedly defend the belt many times like GSP, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want.

He faced many guys who cut way more weight than him. Now he wants to take a 3rd weight class belt. So what.

Sheilds is super decorated but his style doesn't work anymore (wouldn't work very well) and it is VERY SIMPLE to see that the current division is more evolved (naturally).... HOW COULD ONE EVEN ARGUE THIS???? And quit with the irrelevant MMAth that makes no sense at all, PLEASE.

I feel like i am being hardcore trolled by a guy pretending to be so stupid he can't even correctly quote me.

Please explain, in depth, how Shields' style doesn't work anymore. Because I fail to see it.

At his best, he was a fairly strong and very technical wrestler with excellent BJJ. He also had a hell of a chin and very good recovery. Yes, his striking was mediocre at best and bad at worst, but he was fundamentally sound enough to get inside on guys and drag them into his area of expertise.

He has a win over Woodley, albeit in a very close fight. I would pick him over RDA and Till. I see him and Covington as a 50/50 fight.

Now, you can pick against Shields in any of those fights, and I would be fine with it, as the other guys as very good fighters. However, to count an all time great welterweight like Shields out and say "his style doesn't work anymore" is very ignorant.

Lets say Max defended 145 title 7 more times... And retires with

10 title defences

19 straight wins

Being as flexible (big) as Max Holloway is... If he decides to come back after a 4 year layoff, should he be allowed to get title shots back to back with opponents of his choice and in different weight class. One at 155 and the other at 170

I like to think of things like this. If everyone did it, would it be a problem? Imagine you had a bunch of dominant champions retire early, and then comeback after years to pick the best opponent for them to get a belt back, (Ideally the guy thats blind from one eye)... And skip every fighter thats been kicking ass and hungry for TS.

I dont like the entire concept of what GSP is doing, and Im glad Dana is telling him to fuck off. Now hes trying to drain himself to 155 to pick on smaller fighter

is gsp and conor can do it im sure jon jones will do it as well./

Please explain, in depth, how Shields' style doesn't work anymore. Because I fail to see it.

At his best, he was a fairly strong and very technical wrestler with excellent BJJ. He also had a hell of a chin and very good recovery. Yes, his striking was mediocre at best and bad at worst, but he was fundamentally sound enough to get inside on guys and drag them into his area of expertise.

He has a win over Woodley, albeit in a very close fight. I would pick him over RDA and Till. I see him and Covington as a 50/50 fight.

Now, you can pick against Shields in any of those fights, and I would be fine with it, as the other guys as very good fighters. However, to count an all time great welterweight like Shields out and say "his style doesn't work anymore" is very ignorant.

shields-tweet.jpg

Agreed, good TD, heavy top game.

Not much more needed

Long story: GSP brings the UFC a truck load of money.

Short story: Yes

he can fight Woodley with no trouble but is saying I want a shot at 155 with saying he wont do a test cut to see if he can make.

so he risking the ufc having to cancel a fight if gsp fight week if gsp cant make weight.

he can fight Woodley with no trouble but is saying I want a shot at 155 with saying he wont do a test cut to see if he can make.

so he risking the ufc having to cancel a fight if gsp fight week if gsp cant make weight.

Would be a pretty good argument, if TJ/MM drama didn't just happen.

UFC has shown their feeling on this matter.

If you one-sidedly defend the belt many times like GSP, you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want.

He faced many guys who cut way more weight than him. Now he wants to take a 3rd weight class belt. So what.

but he risking having a fight cancelled if he cant make 155 cause he said he wont do a test cut and will only know if he can make 155 fight week,.

Dude, I truly think Shields has the same problem as Maia, in needing to have better takedowns to impose their game. The difference being that Maia has been working on improving his takedowns for the last couple years...

"Doesn't work anymore" maybe too absolute. More specifically I dont think that style is very effective anymore at the very highest level. The ability to shoot and get that TD even against guys with great TDD is the equalizer.

what does dj ducking tj have to do with gsp

Are you purposely being dense?

UFC had no issue with TJ getting a title shot at 125, without doing a weight cut, which DJ asked for.

For UFC to suddenly take the opposite stance would seem suspect, don't you agree?

but he risking having a fight cancelled if he cant make 155 cause he said he wont do a test cut and will only know if he can make 155 fight week,.
No GSP match is getting canceled. Everyone wants the lottery ticket to try to be one of the few to beat GSP. Besides, he does a 24 hr fast + a 48 hr fast per week, so he's lean. No blubber weight. He pays a dietitian/cook. He'll diet down, then cut a bit of weight.

GSP wanted a MW title. The opportunity was there, and to make good money with a popular fighter.

Pretend you don't hate this human being. What expectation do you have? You want him to wait for a tougher fight, because history will remember that MW championship as a better one? To appease his haters?

Of course a person takes a door that opens for them.

The truth is, the only people who thought GSP was going to defend that title, were the guys who wanted to hate on him for not doing so.

I think that's a fine conclusion, but I think it's lazy.

Ask yourself which of his opponents fought harder than he did. Fitch? Condit? It didn't go well. When wasn't GSP the aggressor in a fight? A lot of GSP opponents fought to survive and not get out classed/embarrassed.

Look at how a guy like Dan Hardy gets finished. In wild exchanges, going on offense. in the GSP fight he never goes on offense. Dan Hardy is fending off GSP for 25 mins. A millisecond different and Condit goes to sleep, not Hardy. That makes GSP a lousy fighter? No it doesn't. It makes him greater imo.

I don't think GSP has done enough to be "hated" by anyone. However, as I have said ad nauseam, he clearly bided his time and handpicked Bisping, which while opportune, was also a somewhat cowardly move.

I've never once questioned GSP's greatness. However, as amazing a fighter as he is, his style is safe and actually hurts most people's perception of him. He has avenged all of his losses - something nobody of his caliber has done - but he fights and hems and haws about his opponents with a calculated cowardice that makes a lot of fight fans rightfully cringe and recoil.

Unfortunately, most of the people who question his tenacity and motives are labeled as "haters," but the facts are the facts. I'm quite impartial towards GSP. I respect the hell out of him, but comparing him pre-Serra to post-Serra is like night and day. Only blind supporters would be able to defend his ever-weakening psyche and fighting style.

Dude, I truly think Shields has the same problem as Maia, in needing to have better takedowns to impose their game. The difference being that Maia has been working on improving his takedowns for the last couple years...

"Doesn't work anymore" maybe too absolute. More specifically I dont think that style is very effective anymore at the very highest level. The ability to shoot and get that TD even against guys with great TDD is the equalizer.

Maia is ancient for a welterweight man. He's 40. Plus, even being ancient, he literally just fought for the title a year ago, and it was a well deserved title shot at that. He was on a seven fight win streak. A prime Shields would have beaten those same seven guys in my opinion, and who's to say he doesn't grab a decision over Woodley again, seeing as he's already beaten him.

Plus, I always viewed Shields' wrestling as better than Maia's.

Maia had the far superior BJJ, but Shields had the edge in wrestling.

If he is GSP or maybe (if a miracle had happened )a non USADAd Pokes.
Absolutely.

Right now the only one deserving the special treat is Georges.

He bring the numbers and have the cartel.

Example that dont match the criteria?

Pokes is dirty.
Aldo had the cartel but not the numbers.
Connie only have numbers.
DJ only have the cartel.

Its a very special case and should be awarded just for the vey special.

BUT

DFW WILL give a chance for whoever he judges best(wich means whoever brings then money)

I don't think GSP has done enough to be "hated" by anyone. However, as I have said ad nauseam, he clearly bided his time and handpicked Bisping, which while opportune, was also a somewhat cowardly move.

I've never once questioned GSP's greatness. However, as amazing a fighter as he is, his style is safe and actually hurts most people's perception of him. He has avenged all of his losses - something nobody of his caliber has done - but he fights and hems and haws about his opponents with a calculated cowardice that makes a lot of fight fans rightfully cringe and recoil.

Unfortunately, most of the people who question his tenacity and motives are labeled as "haters," but the facts are the facts. I'm quite impartial towards GSP. I respect the hell out of him, but comparing him pre-Serra to post-Serra is like night and day. Only blind supporters would be able to defend his ever-weakening psyche and fighting style.

You're unbiased and anyone who disagrees is silly and not being fair. Read it before.

Why waste your timing sending this out? It's not persuasive in anyway. It's posturing and a list of excuses.

Sheilds is super decorated but his style doesn't work anymore (wouldn't work very well) and it is VERY SIMPLE to see that the current division is more evolved (naturally).... HOW COULD ONE EVEN ARGUE THIS???? And quit with the irrelevant MMAth that makes no sense at all, PLEASE.

I feel like i am being hardcore trolled by a guy pretending to be so stupid he can't even correctly quote me.
Difference between khabib and shields please?

I think someone with GSP's resume has a strong argument for immediate title shots, if Silva left before fighting Weidman he would get the exact same treatment. Jones could have gotten an immediate title shot instead of fighting OSP and he probably will get one again when he returns. The greatest athletes that draw big numbers get this treatment and i'm okay with it to a certain extent.

Edit: A scenario like Lesnar coming back for an immediate title shot is a lot less respectable, the man is the most blatant cheater and didn't have a god like MMA career either, he is getting offered the title shot solely for the UFC bank account.

Last edited:
Could they? Yes, if Dana allows it.

Would they? Of course they would if Dana allows.

But should they? No. They absolutely should not be allowed to.

All these cherry-picking and preferential match-making is what's screwing up the sport, makes the belt meaningless and robs up-and-comers of their deserved opportunities.

Back