Should Fighters be Role Models?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It seems to be a reoccurring theme in an image conscious society. Let's cite some examples:

Adrien Broner allegedly knocks out a guy at a bowling alley, and robs him.
(http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/12/adrien-broner-bowling-alley-video-money/)

Adrien Broner allegedly knocks out a guy on the Vegas strip, and shoves a woman.
(http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/10/adrien-broner-punches-guy-shoves-woman-on-vegas-strip/)

Charlo allegedly chokes his ex girlfriend.
(http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...mell-charlo-arrested-domestic-violence-charge)

Tank Davis faced second degree assault charges
(http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-gervonta-davis-hearing-1020-story.html)

There are perhaps more incidents to list but I want to get to the point.

These three have been given coverage lately, and are criticized for their on camera and off camera actions. At the events they are routinely some of the loudest, and most disorderly people in attendance along with their camps.

Is the criticism justified or should we not expect a person who participates in a sport that sanctions assault to be a shining light for others?

Should these three, and others get their act together for the image of the sport or should we not put so much responsibility on them to be role models if they don't want to be?

I mean, nobody should go out of their way to be a piece of shit. If you beat your wife or say openly bigoted stuff, you should be held accountable. But this is a sport where guys willingly shorten each others lives and is known to be one of the most tribalistic sports. I don't think it's realistic.

No they should not be role models, that’s what parents/teachers are for. They can be inspirational though and many are

Well, I'm not afraid to say it...

Mike Tyson was a God Like figure to me when I was growing up...

he was absolutely an inspiration

I think boxers are just like everyone else..but they just box for a living meaning there's good role model people in boxing and there's bad people involved in boxing..not different then the walks of life for other role models...I think its more important or be more aware of who the media is trying to make to be a role model and those who listen to that then making their own mind up..for example any commentor or media outlet that says Adrien Broner is a role model for kids ..is selling bullshit to young ones..because role models don't act that way..but let's say someone like Ali or geroge chuvalo..those could seen as more role model types..even tho Ali did have some womanizing issues I believe

A role model is defined by the beholder, not by said fighter. I dont think a generic answer either way makes sense.

A better question might be "Should people have role models?".

No would be my answer.

I think boxers are just like everyone else..but they just box for a living meaning there's good role model people in boxing and there's bad people involved in boxing..not different then the walks of life for other role models...I think its more important or be more aware of who the media is trying to make to be a role model and those who listen to that then making their own mind up..for example any commentor or media outlet that says Adrien Broner is a role model for kids ..is selling bullshit to young ones..because role models don't act that way..but let's say someone like Ali or geroge chuvalo..those could seen as more role model types..even tho Ali did have some womanizing issues I believe

That's true. I'm in agreeance every fighter has issues. AB knocked out AT LEAST two guys in public in separate incidents. How are you a world champion level boxer taking swings at regular people? Wait.....and allegedly robbed one of them? lol

I know a 10 year old who thinks the world of AB, because of his past showings as a fighter. My only thought is what if he takes notice to the other stuff.

The fighters don't even try to be discreet about it. It's like they're seeing who can act the biggest ass in public. I know they get criticized for this, so the question is in my head should they? Should we care or should we not care? If this behavior is allowed, at what point does it stop?

There are different ways to look at it.

No!

Most of the men who choose to hurt other men for a living are a bit off one way or another. Why would a rational people want any part of it? Why should I expect exemplary behavior from a violent man? When I see it I’m impressed with that “portion” of their character all more.

I’m able to take the good with the bad. Example, I appreciated Floyd’s work ethic and dedication to his craft separately from any other challenges he may have had. I had girls but if I had boys I would have been careful to teach them how to to look openly at these type of sports “heroes”. I taught my girls to call a spade a spade so to speak. Praise what is praise worthy and what is not don’t. People frequently try live vicariously through those with big circles of influence for better or worse, athletes typically for worse, especially Boxing.

I mean, nobody should go out of their way to be a piece of shit. If you beat your wife or say openly bigoted stuff, you should be held accountable. But this is a sport where guys willingly shorten each others lives and is known to be one of the most tribalistic sports. I don't think it's realistic.

To enjoy boxing I think you need to be able to put that stuff out of your head a bit. It's always nice to have good ambassadors for the sport like Andre Ward, but by and large these guys are fighting their ways out of bad circumstances and you don't lose that baggage overnight.

That's true. I'm in agreeance every fighter has issues. AB knocked out AT LEAST two guys in public in separate incidents. How are you a world champion level boxer taking swings at regular people? Wait.....and allegedly robbed one of them? lol

I know a 10 year old who thinks the world of AB, because of his past showings as a fighter. My only thought is what if he takes notice to the other stuff.

The fighters don't even try to be discreet about it. It's like they're seeing who can act the biggest ass in public. I know they get criticized for this, so the question is in my head should they? Should we care or should we not care? If this behavior is allowed, at what point does it stop?

There are different ways to look at it.

I think at the end of the day it depends on your own circle as a person and the guidance your recieving if your the young one or the guidance your giving if your the older one watching or knowing of someone younger who's looking for role models to help decipher was being shown..for example are there things Broner has done in the ring that could used to train or teach youth about boxing absolutly but it's on us the guiders to teach them that line your speaking of ..when good stops and bad begins..

For example that 10 year old you mentioned if he ever said anything about those Broner incidents being cool..that would be your moment to stay Naw it's not kid ..you don't want to be like him outside of the ring your want be like blah blah blah...

All fighters need to have that place Inside them that's alittle dark it comes with the territory ..but those who can't control it never really change there lives for the better as boxers..take a look at Bernard hopkins story.. and see how he talks now about jail..he went down one of the darkest paths you could go down but when he talks about it now he's in control of that darkness it's not controlling him ...there's no complex there

I think at the end of the day it depends on your own circle as a person and the guidance your recieving if your the young one or the guidance your giving if your the older one watching or knowing of someone younger who's looking for role models to help decipher was being shown..for example are there things Broner has done in the ring that could used to train or teach youth about boxing absolutly but it's on us the guiders to teach them that line your speaking of ..when good stops and bad begins..

For example that 10 year old you mentioned if he ever said anything about those Broner incidents being cool..that would be your moment to stay Naw it's not kid ..you don't want to be like him outside of the ring your want be like blah blah blah...

All fighters need to have that place Inside them that's alittle dark it comes with the territory ..but those who can't control it never really change there lives for the better as boxers..take a look at Bernard hopkins story.. and see how he talks now about jail..he went down one of the darkest paths you could go down but when he talks about it now he's in control of that darkness it's not controlling him ...there's no complex there

Hopkins is a great example. That is probably partly why he is such an involved business man on the promotion side now. He is relevant in boxing. He was able to control his past, and ascend above it. I love watching his work with Golden Boy.

Hell no. They're obliged to behave btw the ropes, that it.

Hopkins is a great example. That is probably partly why he is such an involved business man on the promotion side now. He is relevant in boxing. He was able to control his past, and ascend above it. I love watching his work with Golden Boy.

Yea for real..considering his life should of been a disaster based on how it started its pretty remarkable what it has become

I don't know, if we have any role models they are human and if they are human, they are terribly flawed, all of them. I often say I don't have or believe in heroes anymore. Humans aren't peaceful, men and young men are the most violent of the species, then you want to expect them to be angels? not gonna happen. It isn't new, Dempsey was tried for rape, supposedly ducked ww1, was a pimp who broke in virgins and those were his better qualities. I gotta say though, people seem more entitled and childish today rather than "bad" like they did in earlier times, the shit fighters go off over is silly and doesn't have any real edge to it like a Dempsey or a Sonny Liston would have had. Humans are going to have role models though so hopefully, the young will do as I did, admire whats admirable and not take on the other stuff. Also, for those of you claiming fighters are innately aberrant in some way, of course plenty of them are but I'd also like to remind you how many sportswriters would say how they felt interviewing fighters was better than interviewing other athletes and marv albert once said you could ask fighters questions about their performance that would have other athletes throwing a fit. The fighters I have known, I have always liked, always. We could talk shop, we'd get along, it wasn't "i can kick your ass" it was like we were fraternal, i never got that with mma'rs/martial artists and I don't get that with most other sub-communities I go around.

Back