Should Daniel Cormier be compensated if the tests prove true?

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If we can confirm that Jon Jones did cheat and the fight is ruled a no contest, should there be additional provisions as well?

Daniel Cormier suffered a concussion from a person who was using an illegal performanxe enhancing substance. He suffered the financial, health and psychological costs of that defeat.

A simple "no contests" seems unjust, not all damages that Cormier suffered as a result of Jones cheating have been mitigated.

He could file a lawsuit but im not sure how that would go.

PEDs in combat sports should result in lawsuits in my opinion.

However, as an attorney, I can guarantee there are sections in the contract pertaining to tort law and liability. It would have to be something egregious like the Bertuzzi-Moore incident in the NHL.

If we can confirm that Jon Jones did cheat and the fight is ruled a no contest, should there be additional provisions as well?

Daniel Cormier suffered a concussion from a person who was using an illegal performanxe enhancing substance. He suffered the financial, health and psychological costs of that defeat.

A simple "no contests" seems unjust, not all damages that Cormier suffered as a result of Jones cheating have been mitigated.
They should give him one free kick on Jones's head

Isn't it the same as the weight cut rule where you get a portion of the offender's purse? Either way the UFC will probably slip him something extra.

Absolutely he should. You get 20% of a guys purse if he misses weight for f*cks sake... I'd rather fight a guy who missez weight than for them to be sucking on teh juice.

He should get all of Jones prize money in my opinion. But he probably won't get anything.

Enough. He will get the belt back after being demolished.
That's compensation more than enough.

I have wondered for a few years if lawsuits may end up cleaning professional sports.

Here is a hypothetical situation:

An NFL owner invests $100,000,000 in a star quarterback (the QB's salary) to win the Super Bowl for his team.

The next season, his team is 12-0 and clearly has the division locked up and ready to head to the play offs.

However, during the first quarter of the next game, a linebacker drills the quarterback to the ground. The "tackle" is so severe that the QB suffers a concussion, three broken ribs, and a dislocated finger on his throwing hand.

The QB is out for the rest of the season. As the playoffs come around, the team loses to a wildcard team 32-12. Season over.

A couple of weeks later, the NFL announces that the linebacker failed a PED test.

The team owner is LIVID.

The juiced-to-the-gills linebacker just ruined the owner's investment. He wants pay-back.

So, he does what any rational American would do: he sues the pants off the cheater.

He wants his money back...and the lawsuit alleges that his quarterback would not have had such career ending injuries if the linebacker was not on PEDs. Therefore, he sues the $1.8 million a year linebacker for the $100,000,000 he wants recouped.

Would such fear of lawsuits scare athletes into playing clean?

He could file a lawsuit but im not sure how that would go.

Yeah he should. he should sue

No he shouldn't file a fucking lawsuit. When Ariel said that yesterday I wanted to punch myself in the face. You want UFC stars suing other UFC stars in court? You want lawsuits to handle the UFC's problems? Pathetic. When fighters start suing each other in open court to get what they deserve I'm officially done with the sport.

No he shouldn't file a fucking lawsuit. When Ariel said that yesterday I wanted to punch myself in the face. You want UFC stars suing other UFC stars in court? You want lawsuits to handle the UFC's problems? Pathetic. When fighters start suing each other in open court to get what they deserve I'm officially done with the sport.

When reading your post, I kept thinking "They're independent contractors."

Not sure if that makes a difference.

PEDs in combat sports should result in lawsuits in my opinion.

However, as an attorney, I can guarantee there are sections in the contract pertaining to tort law and liability. It would have to be something egregious like the Bertuzzi-Moore incident in the NHL.

Wouldn't you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he took the substance with the intent to gain an advantage and didn't take a tainted supplement (which is a largely unregulated industry?)

Cormier should absolutely be compensated............. Right after he pays Rumble the hundred grand he owes him for cheating on the scale.

Of course I would like the ufc to take care of it but i dont think they will. if he sues they might start to care and bring about policy. maybe dana will reach out to dc, but he didnt give a shit about mark hunt at all

Of course I would like the ufc to take care of it but i dont think they will. if he sues they might start to care and bring about policy. maybe dana will reach out to dc, but he didnt give a shit about mark hunt at all
I can't imagine the precedent this would set in sports. Athletes suing other athletes ... unless you're Nancy Kerrigan I don't want hear about any lawsuits from athlete to athlete. Hunt is suing UFC. Not Lesnar himself. And it's a giant waste of his time money resources and energy.

Back