Should Conor's Boxing Coach Be Fired? (Admits not prepared for strategy Floyd revealed before fight)

Should Conor's boxing coach be fired?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
McGregor’s boxing coach: We weren’t ready for Floyd Mayweather’s Walking Down Strategy (TM)

Conor McGregor’s boxing coach Owen Roddy admits they were not prepared for Floyd Mayweather’s strategy on fight night.

"Floyd Mayweather Jr. is known for his defensive approach in his fights, which is ultimately the main recipe for his success over the last two decades of his career. But during the August 26th fight against Conor McGregor, the undefeated 50-0 boxer let go of this approach and instead came forward, as he had promised during pre-fight interviews.

It was a strategy that McGregor’s boxing coach Owen Roddy admitted to not being prepared for. During his interview on Monday’s MMA Hour episode, Roddy said he was expecting the usual Philly shell shoulder roll that Mayweather had been best known for.

“I honestly thought (Mayweather) was going to pop shots, sit back, work the shoulder roll and Philly shell. He did play that game for the first couple of rounds,” Roddy said (via MMA Fighting). “Conor was having success with all of that, but unfortunately I didn’t have the stuff in place for the walking down strategy. Oops.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/...regor-owen-roddy-strategy-boxing-ufc-mma-news

This boxing coach is about as sharp as his cardio coach who said Conor was prepared for 12 rounds or more. Conor is surrounded by idiots!

Irish Edmond and that entire gang of incompetent yes men should be fired, yes.

No.

Win or Learn. Isn't that the title of Conor's MMA coach's recent book? So why would Conor hold losing against his boxing coach? Chalk this boxing loss up to learning.

Mcgregor didn't do as bad as most experts thought. But I wasn't expecting much from his short training - gameplan. The guy was fighting one of the best ever. Now back to the UFC.

"Conor ain't gonna land a punch, any club fighter would beat him."

"Why didn't Conor's mma team have the perfect game plan for his pro boxing debut against one of the greatest of all time?"

Gimme a fucking break! The only people that should be fired are the assholes who fell for this farce of a fight.

I don't mind Roddy, bear in mind, even the best of the best of boxing coaches fail vs Floyd's wily game plan.
Like all other camps vs Floyd, the McGregor camp was outwitted by the smartest man in the business. Nothing new.

"Conor ain't gonna land a punch, any club fighter would beat him."

"Why didn't Conor's mma team have the perfect game plan for his pro boxing debut against one of the greatest of all time?"
By that logic every fighters coach who faced Floyd should be fired

Yes, so let's start a petition to get him fired?

He would have been better off training with Katie Taylor. At least she knows how to actually throw a punch.

Kavanagh wasn't any better.
if he walks forward and exchanges, it’ll be a one-round fight. It’ll be over in a minute. Because he’d be fighting in such a way that’s not normal to him, he won’t have had time to develop the skillset for an aggressive exchanging fighter.

Honestly, who gives a fuck!! Do you really think it matters who coaches Conor against Mayweather? There's absolutely nothing Conor can do to beat Floyd.

It doesn't really matter what strategy they employed against Floyd. He has seen it all and would have adjusted accordingly.

They did the best they could with what they had. That fight never would have been made in a million years if it were not for the crazy Conor fans supporting it with their delusion and money.

Anyone who gave him anything but a punchers chance in the first three are crazy. Don't get me wrong, Conor is a good mma striker but he is certainly not in the same galaxy as Mayweather.

I am sure the boxing coach is fine being that boxing is the main reason why Conor holds a ufc belt. I would say he needs to slow down on the touch butt and go do some more road work.

If he truely though Floyd would lean on usung the philly shell in this fight - then yes, he shouldn't be coaching boxing at the professional level again.

Floyd doesnt really use that against southpaws. Thats a detail that even casual boxing fans know. Come on now!

Before, I kinda suspected they actually thought Floyd would be coming out relying on the philly shell (had Paulie using it in their sparring match...) - but this confirms it now. LOL

LOL

So basically Floyd mindfucked them

Floyd kept saying that he would walk Conor down because he knew that no one would believe it

They seem to all be friends more than anything. I don't think thats a good mix. They are definitely yes men

They had no way of knowing he was gonna fight in a way he has basically never fought before. Smart gameplan by Floyd, made all of Conor's preparation essentially go to waste with it.

Are they that fucking stupid, that they think they would've done better if Floyd actually boxed and did fancy shit? Are they really saying that a simple walkdown style that floyd employed was harder...WOW these people are idiots.

Floyd gave you the most simple matchup ever..He came straight forward, no fancy shit...Any other boxer would've stopped Floyd if he did that because it's so fucking easy to fight against a style like that.

Sadly Conor and his trainers don't know shit about boxing!

Kavanagh wasn't any better.

It was crazy how many people thought Floyd only can Box one way. The guy changes his style more then anyone ever in Boxing

Back